Migrate a Visual Basic program to Windows XP
Author Message
 Migrate a Visual Basic program to Windows XP

Hi all,

Does anyone know more about the following:

I'm about to migrate from Win NT4 to Win XP. I've got a VB6
application that uses Excel 97 to show reports. Are there any known
problems connected to this?
Does anyone have experience with this or know where to find more
information about this subject?

Thanks in advance,
Davy

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:10:56 GMT
 Migrate a Visual Basic program to Windows XP

Quote:

> Does anyone know more about the following:

> I'm about to migrate from Win NT4 to Win XP. I've got a VB6
> application that uses Excel 97 to show reports. Are there any known
> problems connected to this?
> Does anyone have experience with this or know where to find more

You could be faced with creating separate installs for Lose9x, NT, 2K,
XP, etc.  After all, not even Micro$haft could figure out how to make
just one install that works everywhere:

 URL:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;;q239114

Then again, you might simply be boned, even though Winblows XP includes
new versions of the VB run-times specific for LoseXP, just in case you
needed some extra "encouragement" to "upgrade" to VB.NOT:

 URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=2XKnMZh8BHA.228%40cpmsftngxa08

 URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=SQnfTNl8BHA.2300%40cpmsftngxa07

 URL:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;;Q309366

Evidently, XP ain't done 'til VB won't run!  Its special versions of the
VB6 run-time DLLs could also be a Trojan Horse, to "inadvertently" trash
VB6 apps on all other Winblows machines by "embracing and extending" the
utterly predictable DLL Hell caused by installs built on LoseXP machines
that /already/ are infecting everyone else with XP-specific components:

 URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C8857E1.C4E4053A%40eznec.com

 URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=%23GZy7tXSBHA.1372%40tkmsftngp03

This behavior is by design.

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     Greed = God? <http://www.xenu.net/>

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:34:40 GMT
 Migrate a Visual Basic program to Windows XP
A slightly different perspective, Davy... :)

I use XP Pro and I've had *occasional* problems with certain VB5 apps that were
purely designed on Win9x systems.  Only 2 in particular come to mind; in both
cases, I was able to get them to work by setting them to run in Win2000
compatibility mode.  The fact that Win2000 mode worked fine support what Joe
says about differences in the  VB runtimes.

Joe also has a point about the direction in which Microsoft's marketing
department seems to be going with respect to classic VB; in fact, even with my
limited VB knowledge, 30 minutes of playing with .NET made me clearly understand
where  the nickname "VB.NOT" came from.

That said, I don't think you will have problems.  Have people try it on a couple
of XP systems to confirm.

Quote:
> Hi all,

> Does anyone know more about the following:

> I'm about to migrate from Win NT4 to Win XP. I've got a VB6
> application that uses Excel 97 to show reports. Are there any known
> problems connected to this?
> Does anyone have experience with this or know where to find more
> information about this subject?

> Thanks in advance,
> Davy

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:50:18 GMT

1. Looking for a program that can easily migrate Visual Basic to the Web

2. Visual Basic .NET and Windows XP

3. Visual Basic.net and Windows XP Home

4. Visual Basic 6.0 app on windows XP operating system

5. WinSock, Windows XP and Visual Basic 6

6. Hiding the windows taskbar from a Visual Basic program

7. dbase programming(basic) in relation to Visual Basic programming

8. Visual basic programs - connect to a server - Visual Basic 5 Enterprice Edition

9. Memory Error on Windows NT from a Visual Basic Program

10. Hiding the windows taskbar from a Visual Basic program

11. Visual Basic 3 program printing problems under Windows 2000

12. Help migrating from CLIPPER to VISUAL BASIC