Displaying status messages
Author Message
 Displaying status messages

How do I display a pop-up message letting the user know the document
went to the printer that requires no "OK" button to be pushed?  Or
when the program is searching an Access database for certain records.
The program just seems to hang until the results are returned.  I need
a message to let them know nothing is wrong.

Thu, 20 Sep 2001 04:00:00 GMT
 Displaying status messages
In each of these cases, I think you'll have to decide what's appropriate
based on the type of user interface you have.  Both of these things COULD be
handled with a StatusBar control by displaying what you're currently doing
in the main pane of the Status bar like "Searching for " & (your search
criteria) & ".  Please wait..." or "Printing " & (doc name) & "...".  You
could have a status bar like Word that uses a series of icons in one of the
status bar panes to show the document printing (or an hourglass searching
for something).

If appropriate, you could also show a form with a little animation control
on it to indicate printing or searching.  Just show a small form modally and
in the form's Activate event, start you AVI playing, search (or print), and
then unload the form.

Another idea may be to show a MsgBox and take it down automatically after a
few seconds.  If the user's not watching though, they may never see it.

There are several things you could do...it's just a matter of which is
appropriate in your situation.

HTH
--
Earl Damron, MCSD, MVP

Common Controls Replacement Project Member
www.mvps.org/ccrp

Quote:

>How do I display a pop-up message letting the user know the document
>went to the printer that requires no "OK" button to be pushed?  Or
>when the program is searching an Access database for certain records.
>The program just seems to hang until the results are returned.  I need
>a message to let them know nothing is wrong.

Fri, 21 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying status messages

Quote:

>...Another idea may be to show a MsgBox and take it down automatically
after a
>few seconds.

How? (I suspect there's a way to do this with SendKeys which borders on
cruel and unusual punishment, and would be interested to know if there are
elegant methods.)

Bertie

Fri, 21 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying status messages
Karl Peterson has a sample on his site (http://www.mvps.org/vb/) that
uses API calls for this. It's entitled "TimedMsg.zip" on the Samples
page. Specific reference is http://www.mvps.org/vb/code/TimedMsg.zip

Quote:

--

Beer, Wine and Database Programming.  What could be better?
Visit "Doug Steele's Beer and Programming Emporium"

Fri, 21 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying status messages
I couldn't have said it better myself Doug!
--
Earl Damron, MCSD, MVP

Common Controls Replacement Project Member
www.mvps.org/ccrp

Quote:

>Karl Peterson has a sample on his site (http://www.mvps.org/vb/) that
>uses API calls for this. It's entitled "TimedMsg.zip" on the Samples
>page. Specific reference is http://www.mvps.org/vb/code/TimedMsg.zip

>> >...Another idea may be to show a MsgBox and take it down automatically
>> after a
>> >few seconds.

>> How? (I suspect there's a way to do this with SendKeys which borders on
>> cruel and unusual punishment, and would be interested to know if there
are
>> elegant methods.)

>> Bertie

>--

>Beer, Wine and Database Programming.  What could be better?
>Visit "Doug Steele's Beer and Programming Emporium"
>http://webhome.idirect.com/~djsteele/

Fri, 21 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying status messages
Earl,
When the program starts searching the database, it unloads the form on
which the search criteria is entered.  The form half-disappears until
the new form shows with the search results.  I've tried showing a
status form before the first form unloads, but it does the same thing,
only my status forms shows up AFTER the result form is loaded.  I
don't know anything about API calls, but could that be the answer?

I dl'd the file Doug suggested and I'll give it a try.
Thanks,
Kevin

Quote:

>In each of these cases, I think you'll have to decide what's appropriate
>based on the type of user interface you have.  Both of these things COULD be
>handled with a StatusBar control by displaying what you're currently doing
>in the main pane of the Status bar like "Searching for " & (your search
>criteria) & ".  Please wait..." or "Printing " & (doc name) & "...".  You
>could have a status bar like Word that uses a series of icons in one of the
>status bar panes to show the document printing (or an hourglass searching
>for something).

>If appropriate, you could also show a form with a little animation control
>on it to indicate printing or searching.  Just show a small form modally and
>in the form's Activate event, start you AVI playing, search (or print), and
>then unload the form.

>Another idea may be to show a MsgBox and take it down automatically after a
>few seconds.  If the user's not watching though, they may never see it.

>There are several things you could do...it's just a matter of which is
>appropriate in your situation.

>HTH

Sun, 23 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Form to display status messages

2. How to display status messages

3. Displaying a status message

4. How to display a status message in vb4

5. Display message in taskbar status area near a new icon

6. Why does Message Box does not display complete Message

7. Display status bar on a form

8. VBA code to let message appear in status bar

9. How to display text in the status bas?

10. Displaying a running status

11. Change message Read status

12. Posting message to status bar