Alert to Operator
Author Message
 Alert to Operator

How about firing off a wav file of a horrific scream. That would grab their
attention. See the PlaySound API. :-)

For the email method see my site .. search for "Madness" (yes, that's
right). Its listed on the welcome page as well, about 1/2 way down.

But I like the scream idea.  Or perhaps a wet fart sound.  Imagine the looks
from co-workers. And embedded as a resource, they couldn't change it.

--

Randy Birch
MVP Visual Basic

| How can I alert the operator.
|
| I have a program running in the background and I want that
| program to be able to get the attention of the operator.
| The operator might have a spreadsheet or any other
| application filling the screen.
| One neat way might be to have the program send him an e-
| mail and then have outlook set to notify him. Does someone
| know how to send an email from within a VB program. This
| person doesn't have an inhouse mail server if that makes
| any difference.
|
| Any ideas on another way to notify the operator?
|
| Thanks,
| Ted
| .
|
| ps  Also,  I'm not sure which section this question should
| be in.  Is this the general question area?

Fri, 06 May 2005 12:18:14 GMT
 Alert to Operator

Quote:
> But I like the scream idea.  Or perhaps a wet fart sound.  Imagine the
looks
> from co-workers. And embedded as a resource, they couldn't change it.

well.. not easily at least..

Matt

Quote:
> How about firing off a wav file of a horrific scream. That would grab
their
> attention. See the PlaySound API. :-)

> For the email method see my site .. search for "Madness" (yes, that's
> right). Its listed on the welcome page as well, about 1/2 way down.

> But I like the scream idea.  Or perhaps a wet fart sound.  Imagine the
looks
> from co-workers. And embedded as a resource, they couldn't change it.

> --

> Randy Birch
> MVP Visual Basic
> http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
> Please respond only to the newsgroups so all can benefit.

> | How can I alert the operator.
> |
> | I have a program running in the background and I want that
> | program to be able to get the attention of the operator.
> | The operator might have a spreadsheet or any other
> | application filling the screen.
> | One neat way might be to have the program send him an e-
> | mail and then have outlook set to notify him. Does someone
> | know how to send an email from within a VB program. This
> | person doesn't have an inhouse mail server if that makes
> | any difference.
> |
> | Any ideas on another way to notify the operator?
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Ted
> | .
> |
> | ps  Also,  I'm not sure which section this question should
> | be in.  Is this the general question area?

Sat, 07 May 2005 03:42:21 GMT
 Alert to Operator
If the user is on a NT+ system a simple Netsend would do it.. otherwise, I'd
use a custom form with a flashing toolbar and a big Neon sign along with the
wav's.. just in case they're not around when it goes off. I'd throw a time
in there as well.

I wouldn't do the Email deal if you're trying this real time because
depending on the routing, it could take a few mins to a few
hours/days/weeks/never! (Adelphia!) to get the mail. In house Email on
exchange would be rather quick, but external SMTP relays aren't
reliable/fast enough in my opinion, but then again, I'm completely biased..

HTH

Matt

Quote:
> How can I alert the operator.

> I have a program running in the background and I want that
> program to be able to get the attention of the operator.
> The operator might have a spreadsheet or any other
> application filling the screen.
> One neat way might be to have the program send him an e-
> mail and then have outlook set to notify him. Does someone
> know how to send an email from within a VB program. This
> person doesn't have an inhouse mail server if that makes
> any difference.

> Any ideas on another way to notify the operator?

> Thanks,
> Ted
> .

> ps  Also,  I'm not sure which section this question should
> be in.  Is this the general question area?

Sat, 07 May 2005 03:44:47 GMT
 Alert to Operator
I like the sound ideas but right now he doesn't
have sound on his computer.  (I couldn't believe
it either.)  Not even a little speaker for the
VB  Beep.   I'll look into the email.  Patrick
Berry mentioned vbSystemModal with MsgBox.  That
may do the trick for now.

Many thanks to all.

Ted

Quote:

Sat, 07 May 2005 12:00:44 GMT
 Alert to Operator

Quote:
> I like the sound ideas but right now he doesn't
> have sound on his computer.  (I couldn't believe
> it either.)  Not even a little speaker for the
> VB  Beep.

Why not?  I have all sound muted by default and only turn it on when I
specifically want to play something.  I can't stand computers making noises
at me.

Sat, 07 May 2005 22:13:31 GMT
 Alert to Operator
What about flashing the taskbar button, as is normal with applications that
are minimised, or do not have focus? Of course, if your application doesn't
have a presence on the taskbar then you can ignore this suggestion.

        Tony Proctor

Quote:
> How can I alert the operator.

> I have a program running in the background and I want that
> program to be able to get the attention of the operator.
> The operator might have a spreadsheet or any other
> application filling the screen.
> One neat way might be to have the program send him an e-
> mail and then have outlook set to notify him. Does someone
> know how to send an email from within a VB program. This
> person doesn't have an inhouse mail server if that makes
> any difference.

> Any ideas on another way to notify the operator?

> Thanks,
> Ted
> .

> ps  Also,  I'm not sure which section this question should
> be in.  Is this the general question area?

Sun, 08 May 2005 01:23:53 GMT

1. ***NEWBIE ALERT***NEWBIE ALERT***NEWBIE ALERT***

2. take out alert message in Access97

3. reminder/alert

4. Alerts on LANs

5. Additional Record Locking alert for multiuser environment

6. VIRUS ALERT! (W95/CIH.1003a)

7. Alert box with no text, then GPF?

8. Newbie Alert

9. daily alert with appointments

10. SAVEAS METHOD GET SECURITY ALERT IN OL2002

11. Outlook email alert

12. problem of disapear the alert box in ppt 2000