Need help with ActiveX security settings i IE
Author Message
 Need help with ActiveX security settings i IE

Hi!
I have, due to some customer-restrictions, developed a component in VB for
use in static HTML files accessed by IE.
When I use "CreateObject" towards my component i get this popup-question
shown below.

"Some software (ActiveX controls) on this page might be unsafe. It is
recommended that yout not run it. Do you want to allow it to run?"

My question now is:
Is there some IE setting that I can use to get rid of this verification?

Thanks in advance
//Daniel Bernhed

Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help with ActiveX security settings i IE
That depends.

If this is a closed-user group (for example IntraNet) you may wish your
users to make your site a "Trusted Site" in IE-speak, and they can adjust
custom settings in IE to enable "unsafe" Active-X stuff to run.  The default
setting is if IE doesn't trust it implicitly, it'll put up questions like
this.

If you're dealing with an application for generalised Internet use then this
is clearly not a practicable idea for all sorts of reasons. Your best bet
then might be to get the control signed so that IE does trust it.

Other NG readers will probably come up with even more options, but HTH.  -
Mike -

Quote:

>When I use "CreateObject" towards my component i get this popup-question
>shown below.

>"Some software (ActiveX controls) on this page might be unsafe. It is
>recommended that yout not run it. Do you want to allow it to run?"

>My question now is:
>Is there some IE setting that I can use to get rid of this verification?

Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help with ActiveX security settings i IE
There are two things you can do:

a.) add the site that you're running this component from to IE's
    "Trusted Sites" list (recommended)
b.) set IE's security to minimum or configure the current security
    setting to allow ActiveX components to RUN, not WARN
    (not recommended!!)

-Chad

Quote:
> Hi!
> I have, due to some customer-restrictions, developed a component in VB for
> use in static HTML files accessed by IE.
> When I use "CreateObject" towards my component i get this popup-question
> shown below.

> "Some software (ActiveX controls) on this page might be unsafe. It is
> recommended that yout not run it. Do you want to allow it to run?"

> My question now is:
> Is there some IE setting that I can use to get rid of this verification?

> Thanks in advance
> //Daniel Bernhed

Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help with ActiveX security settings i IE
That depends.

If this is a closed-user group (for example IntraNet) you may wish your
users to make your site a "Trusted Site" in IE-speak, and they can adjust
custom settings in IE to enable "unsafe" Active-X stuff to run.  The default
setting is if IE doesn't trust it implicitly, it'll put up questions like
this.

If you're dealing with an application for generalised Internet use then this
is clearly not a practicable idea for all sorts of reasons. Your best bet
then might be to get the control signed so that IE does trust it.

Other NG readers will probably come up with even more options, but HTH. You
can explore these settings via Tools|internet Options|Security in IE5, or (I
think) View|internet Options|Security in IE4.

  - Mike -

Quote:

>Hi!
>I have, due to some customer-restrictions, developed a component in VB for
>use in static HTML files accessed by IE.
>When I use "CreateObject" towards my component i get this popup-question
>shown below.

>"Some software (ActiveX controls) on this page might be unsafe. It is
>recommended that yout not run it. Do you want to allow it to run?"

>My question now is:
>Is there some IE setting that I can use to get rid of this verification?

>Thanks in advance
>//Daniel Bernhed

Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help with ActiveX security settings i IE
further to the other suggestions, I'd suggest investigating code signing so
that the control is marked safe for scripting...

Not the cheapest solution, but possibly the best [from the clients
perspective]

Quote:

> Hi!
> I have, due to some customer-restrictions, developed a component in VB for
> use in static HTML files accessed by IE.
> When I use "CreateObject" towards my component i get this popup-question
> shown below.

> "Some software (ActiveX controls) on this page might be unsafe. It is
> recommended that yout not run it. Do you want to allow it to run?"

> My question now is:
> Is there some IE setting that I can use to get rid of this verification?

Sat, 15 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need help with ActiveX security settings i IE

2. IE Security setting to run ActiveX control

3. Problem Downloading ActiveX Document - IE 4.0 Security Settings ?

4. Programmatically change security settings of IE 5X using VB

5. Problem with Visual Basic Document and IE 4.0 Security Settings

6. IE security settings affect webbrowser control

7. Programmatically change security settings of IE 5X using VB

8. Invoking Word from IE/ASP code, I get ActiveX Security Problems

9. IE 5.0 security error for ActiveX control

10. ActiveX Object May Be Unsafe. IE4 Security Settings

11. ActiveX Documents/Controls and security settings.

12. Nubee Needs Help I.E. Current http Address