String manipulation question
Author Message
 String manipulation question

HiHiHi,

I am writing an 'HTML Editor'. This editor will allow me to create
static html pages which includes/uses data stored in an Microsoft
Access 97 and/or MSSQL database.

The problem is:
        I save the template that I have created with the html tags and
database variables. no problem
        I read the template that I had previously saved and each line
is treated as a literal. The database variables are not recognized as
such. The variables are just treated as part of the string and not
interpreted or recognized as a database variable.
        My question is what methods have ppl used to read strings in a
data file while separating the literal string from the variables.

Does that make sense? If so, please give me some ideas.

V.

*****
I never >try< anything
I just do it.

Wanna Try Me?
*****

Fri, 03 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 String manipulation question
I'm not sure what you're asking here, but it seems you have confused HTML and
ASP. You see, a HTML file is and always will be a HTML file, it will not read
anything from any database. ASP-files however will be parsed if it's on a server
that supports ASP, and any data from a selected database will be inserted. ASP's
may look like HTML but they've got some special tags for embedding data from
databases. If this is not what you're asking, please make your question clearer.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Henrik Grotle
N-6800 F?rde, Norway

Software developer VB4, RPG, HTML, Perl

To reply to this posting please remove nospam. from the e-mail adress.

Quote:
>HiHiHi,

>I am writing an 'HTML Editor'. This editor will allow me to create
>static html pages which includes/uses data stored in an Microsoft
>Access 97 and/or MSSQL database.

>The problem is:
> I save the template that I have created with the html tags and
>database variables. no problem
> I read the template that I had previously saved and each line
>is treated as a literal. The database variables are not recognized as
>such. The variables are just treated as part of the string and not
>interpreted or recognized as a database variable.
> My question is what methods have ppl used to read strings in a
>data file while separating the literal string from the variables.

>Does that make sense? If so, please give me some ideas.

>V.

>*****
>I never >try< anything
>I just do it.

>Wanna Try Me?
>*****

Sat, 04 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 String manipulation question
You could write your own code to recognise special delimiting character
strings, or you could use the system Microsoft has developed to do it: ASP.
ASP is the easier option since it works and there are lots of people using
it who can help you if the documentation does not cover somethig you are
stuck with.

Check the microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.* newsgroups.

Colin

Quote:
>HiHiHi,

>I am writing an 'HTML Editor'. This editor will allow me to create
>static html pages which includes/uses data stored in an Microsoft
>Access 97 and/or MSSQL database.

>The problem is:
> I save the template that I have created with the html tags and
>database variables. no problem
> I read the template that I had previously saved and each line
>is treated as a literal. The database variables are not recognized as
>such. The variables are just treated as part of the string and not
>interpreted or recognized as a database variable.
> My question is what methods have ppl used to read strings in a
>data file while separating the literal string from the variables.

>Does that make sense? If so, please give me some ideas.

>V.

>*****
>I never >try< anything
>I just do it.

>Wanna Try Me?
>*****

Sat, 04 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 String manipulation question

16 Feb 1999 13:38:34 +0100, managed to coherently babble:

?I'm not sure what you're asking here, but it seems you have confused
HTML and
?ASP.

Ummm, no. I am working something that has the same functionality of
ASP. The company I am currently working for has HTML pages on several
types of systems, only one box is NT.

The program I am working on needs to recognize a variable in a string
read from a data file, replace the variable with the appropriate value
then save the new string in a different file, which is an html file.

?You see, a HTML file is and always

...snip... yeahyeahyeah, I have been coding HTML for about four years.

?t what you're asking, please make your question clearer.

Unfortunately, what I want to do is not common. It is difficult to
accurately describe what I am doing.

Imagine encapsulating ASP-like functionality in a VB program.
1- user creates a HTML template. Places variables where desired.
2- Program reads template, replaces variables with values from a
database, saves HTML.
3- User takes HTML page and uploads it to a UNIX, AS/400, LINUX or
whatever type of web server.

V.

*****
I never >try< anything
I just do it.

Wanna Try Me?
*****

Sat, 04 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 String manipulation question

09:59:46 -0500, managed to coherently babble:

?You could write your own code to recognise special delimiting
character
?strings,

I have finally accepted that this is exactly what I am going to have
to do.

?or you could use the system Microsoft has developed to do it: ASP.
?ASP is the easier option since it works and there are lots of people
using?it who can help you if the documentation does not cover somethig
you are
?stuck with.

I have been coding ASP pages since I upgraded to IIS 4 last year. The
company I have been doing most of my work for primarily uses Cold
Fusion. I prefer ASP since it is built on something closer to a

Quote:
>regular< programming language as well as any language I have a

compliant interpreter for.

ASP would work. The html generation portion is only part of what I am
working on. There are also over 300 text files generated >daily<. The
text files are created in a cumbersome & slow method which I want to
get rid of. My goal is to read a template text file (containing the
text with variables) and create the text files with the proper data in
them.

Once I get this sorted out, I expect that I could generate any type of
file required as long as I know how to encode the output file. Even so
far as to encode data in, say a jpg (kinda silly, but I see a use for
it).

?Colin

Thanx for the input Colin.

In the end, I realize that I will have to 'encode' the source text
file with a character to denote the variable in a string. I was hoping
that I could avoid that since I see some other issues with doing that,
but I do not see any other way.

No Big Deal, Just Another Challenge.

V.

*****
I never >try< anything
I just do it.

Wanna Try Me?
*****

Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Simple VB 6.0 String Manipulation Question

2. Simple string manipulation question

3. Fairly Easy String Manipulation Question

4. String Manipulation Question

5. String Manipulation Question ....

6. String Manipulation Question.....

7. Beginners date / string manipulation question...

8. easy string manipulation question

9. string manipulation question - easy one!

10. string manipulation question

11. Newbie question : string manipulation with VBscript.

12. String Manipulation: Newby question