NEED HELP!!!
Author Message
 NEED HELP!!!

I have a problem.
I've written a little VB5 program that uses the COMCTL32.OCX (I've got the
Professional Edition).
The problem is about installation.
I've tied to create an installation program using Wise Installation System
5.0, but when I install it, the program didn't properly install the control
COMCTL32.OCX.
Using the built-in Microsoft installation wizard the control is installed
correctly, but the installation program created is not so professional as
those created by Wise Installation System 5.0.
Does anybody know how tell Wise Installation System 5.0 to install and
correctly register all controls used by the app (in this case COMCTL32.OCX)?
Otherwise is it possible to do with InstallShield, and how?

Help me. Thanks.
Marco

______________________________

Remove NO SPAM for reply.

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 NEED HELP!!!

Installing an OCX in WISE 5.0

When you install an OCX in wise you must mark it as a shared
Win95 DLL, and mark it to "register".

At the end of your script you must then insert a "Self Register DLLs" script
item.

I do this and install COMCTL32.OCX no worries....

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 NEED HELP!!!

Marco,
    First you need to have Visual Basic create a Dependancy File for the
application.  This file will list all of the files that are associated with your
app -- at least the ones that VB can determine.  Then look at each of the files
listed to see how to install them.  The information that you are looking for is
this (taken from dependency [dep] file):

[COMCTL32.OCX <0009>]
Register=$(DLLSelfRegister)
' This indicates that the file will register itself!!!!!!
Dest=$(WinSysPath)
'Where to install the file
Date=7/19/1997
Time=17:00:28
Version=5.1.43.19
CABFilename=ComCtl32.cab
CABDefaultURL=http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb5
CABINFFile=ComCtl32.inf
CABRunFile=
Uses1=ComCat.dll
Uses2=

It is very important that you know which files are self registering and which
are not!  Usually the files get placed in the Windows\System directory, but some
like the DAO file get placed elsewhere.  I haven't found any use for the other
information.

I am not familiar with "Wise Installation System 5.0," I use "Install Shield"
for my installations, with it you just specify if the file group containing the
file is Self-Registering or not.

Hope this helped, let me know.

-- JIM

Quote:

> I have a problem.
> I've written a little VB5 program that uses the COMCTL32.OCX (I've got the
> Professional Edition).
> The problem is about installation.
> I've tied to create an installation program using Wise Installation System
> 5.0, but when I install it, the program didn't properly install the control
> COMCTL32.OCX.
> Using the built-in Microsoft installation wizard the control is installed
> correctly, but the installation program created is not so professional as
> those created by Wise Installation System 5.0.
> Does anybody know how tell Wise Installation System 5.0 to install and
> correctly register all controls used by the app (in this case COMCTL32.OCX)?
> Otherwise is it possible to do with InstallShield, and how?

> Help me. Thanks.
> Marco

> ______________________________

> Remove NO SPAM for reply.

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 NEED HELP!!!

Marco,
    First you need to have Visual Basic create a Dependancy File for the
application.  This file will list all of the files that are associated with your
app -- at least the ones that VB can determine.  Then look at each of the files
listed to see how to install them.  The information that you are looking for is
this (taken from dependency [dep] file):

[COMCTL32.OCX <0009>]
Register=$(DLLSelfRegister)
' This indicates that the file will register itself!!!!!!
Dest=$(WinSysPath)
'Where to install the file
Date=7/19/1997
Time=17:00:28
Version=5.1.43.19
CABFilename=ComCtl32.cab
CABDefaultURL=http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb5
CABINFFile=ComCtl32.inf
CABRunFile=
Uses1=ComCat.dll
Uses2=

It is very important that you know which files are self registering and which
are not!  Usually the files get placed in the Windows\System directory, but some
like the DAO file get placed elsewhere.  I haven't found any use for the other
information.

I am not familiar with "Wise Installation System 5.0," I use "Install Shield"
for my installations, with it you just specify if the file group containing the
file is Self-Registering or not.

Hope this helped, let me know.

-- JIM

Quote:

> I have a problem.
> I've written a little VB5 program that uses the COMCTL32.OCX (I've got the
> Professional Edition).
> The problem is about installation.
> I've tied to create an installation program using Wise Installation System
> 5.0, but when I install it, the program didn't properly install the control
> COMCTL32.OCX.
> Using the built-in Microsoft installation wizard the control is installed
> correctly, but the installation program created is not so professional as
> those created by Wise Installation System 5.0.
> Does anybody know how tell Wise Installation System 5.0 to install and
> correctly register all controls used by the app (in this case COMCTL32.OCX)?
> Otherwise is it possible to do with InstallShield, and how?

> Help me. Thanks.
> Marco

> ______________________________

> Remove NO SPAM for reply.

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. {Need Help Big Project Need Help}

2. I need help with a datediff problem ( a fairly new user who needs help)

3. need need help help (911)!!!!!

4. Rookie needs help clearing the Clipper hurdle (DBase help needed)

5. HELP HELP HELP, Need help, in IE Control

6. HELP: Need help building a Decisoin tree help proggy

7. Tutor needed - Help,Help, Help!!!

8. Help! Need Help on Help

9. MSGraph 97 - need a reference - and need help with problems

10. I need urgently need help

11. NEED HELP DISABLING QB COMMANDS:IMMEDIATE REP. NEEDED

12. Need Report to look at SQL Data source ( VB / CR newbie needs help)