Why is project name being truncated?
Author Message
 Why is project name being truncated?

Hi

I am working in a Windows NT 4.0 environment, and have installed the
VB5.0 Enterprise Edition.  I can create and save projects with names
longer than 8 characters.  The development environment initially
displays the project name correctly.  However, if I close the project
and then reopen it, the name displays truncated to 8 characters.

 Nothing seems to be affected by this except my peace of mind.  I am
wondering if this is an indication of something else being wrong.  It
makes me think that something is not being recognized as a 32 bit
application.  I have uninstalled and re-installed VB5.0 several times,
but the problem remains.  Has anyone else experienced this problem or
know why it might be occurring?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Ann Cook

Sat, 02 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Why is project name being truncated?

I think there is still some 16-bit code in the VB-SourceSafe link which uses
short file names when you invoke VB by association with a VBP file.

If you start VB and then use the File | Open dialog to open the VBP then all
is well.
If, however, you double click on a VBP file in an Explorer window to invoke
VB and load the project you may get a short file name shown.

Regards,
Simon Jones
PC Pro Magazine

Sat, 02 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Why is project name being truncated?

Your file association for VBP is bad.  Go to View/File Types/Visual Basic Project
(vbp)/Edit, and make sure the command line includes quotes as:

   "C:\program files\devstudio\vb\vb5.exe" "%1"

Randy Birch, MVP Visual Basic
VBnet, The Visual Basic Developers Resource Centre
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/rasanen/vbnet/default.htm

:Hi
:
[...]

Hi Randy,

Thanks so much!  That fixed the problem.

Thanks Again

Quote:

> Your file association for VBP is bad.  Go to View/File Types/Visual Basic Project
> (vbp)/Edit, and make sure the command line includes quotes as:

>    "C:\program files\devstudio\vb\vb5.exe" "%1"

> Randy Birch, MVP Visual Basic
> VBnet, The Visual Basic Developers Resource Centre
> http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/rasanen/vbnet/default.htm

> :Hi
> :
> :I am working in a Windows NT 4.0 environment, and have installed the
> :VB5.0 Enterprise Edition.  I can create and save projects with names
> :longer than 8 characters.  The development environment initially
> :displays the project name correctly.  However, if I close the project
> :and then reopen it, the name displays truncated to 8 characters.
> :
> : Nothing seems to be affected by this except my peace of mind.  I am
> :wondering if this is an indication of something else being wrong.  It
> :makes me think that something is not being recognized as a 32 bit
> :application.  I have uninstalled and re-installed VB5.0 several times,
> :but the problem remains.  Has anyone else experienced this problem or
> :know why it might be occurring?
> :
> :Thanks in advance for your input,
> :
> :Ann Cook
> :

Mon, 04 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Why is project name being truncated?

2. How to get the login Name of the Remote machine, I am having the host name

3. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

5. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

6. why am I getting this error??

7. Why am I losing html formatting?

8. I am using the Compare MS Project COM Program and having issues

9. Why am I getting this message?

10. LPT PORT PROJECT on IRC NOW till 2:AM EST

11. Null Values - WHY am I getting this error?

12. I am working on cool project, looking for creative idea to help