Lowest whole number
Author Message
 Lowest whole number

i am trying to get the lowest whole number from an eqaution.

for example

407 / 160 = 2.54

i would like to have 407 / 160 return the value of 2

i tried round(407 / 160) but it returns 3.

so, my question..

how can i force vb to round down no matter what the remainder is???

e0-

Wed, 08 Dec 2004 06:45:10 GMT
 Lowest whole number
Try:   407 \  160

Quote:
> i am trying to get the lowest whole number from an eqaution.

> for example

> 407 / 160 = 2.54

> i would like to have 407 / 160 return the value of 2

> i tried round(407 / 160) but it returns 3.

> so, my question..

> how can i force vb to round down no matter what the remainder is???

> e0-

Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:02:36 GMT
 Lowest whole number
yeah that works.. thx

i also found that

Fix(407 / 160)

returns 2..

which do you think is better?

e0-

Quote:
> Try:   407 \  160

> > i am trying to get the lowest whole number from an eqaution.

> > for example

> > 407 / 160 = 2.54

> > i would like to have 407 / 160 return the value of 2

> > i tried round(407 / 160) but it returns 3.

> > so, my question..

> > how can i force vb to round down no matter what the remainder is???

> > e0-

Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:05:38 GMT
 Lowest whole number
Fix is necessary if you might have very large numbers (larger than a long).

Quote:
> yeah that works.. thx

> i also found that

> Fix(407 / 160)

> returns 2..

> which do you think is better?

> e0-

> > Try:   407 \  160

> > > i am trying to get the lowest whole number from an eqaution.

> > > for example

> > > 407 / 160 = 2.54

> > > i would like to have 407 / 160 return the value of 2

> > > i tried round(407 / 160) but it returns 3.

> > > so, my question..

> > > how can i force vb to round down no matter what the remainder is???

> > > e0-

Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:46:09 GMT
 Lowest whole number
Quote:
> Fix is necessary if you might have very large numbers (larger than a

long).

Huh???

From the VB Help files:

Both Int and Fix remove the fractional part of number and return the
resulting integer value.

The difference between Int and Fix is that if number is negative, Int
returns the first negative integer less than or equal to number, whereas
Fix returns the first negative integer greater than or equal to number.
For example, Int converts -8.4 to -9, and Fix converts -8.4 to -8.

To the Original Poster: The backslash performs integer division.
                                 A\B is identical to Int(A/B).

Rick

Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:26:24 GMT
 Lowest whole number
I'd say use the Fix() method, mainly because it improves readability.

Kind Regards
   Nick Palmius

Quote:
> > Fix is necessary if you might have very large numbers (larger than a
> long).

> Huh???

> From the VB Help files:

> Both Int and Fix remove the fractional part of number and return the
> resulting integer value.

> The difference between Int and Fix is that if number is negative, Int
> returns the first negative integer less than or equal to number, whereas
> Fix returns the first negative integer greater than or equal to number.
> For example, Int converts -8.4 to -9, and Fix converts -8.4 to -8.

> To the Original Poster: The backslash performs integer division.
>                                  A\B is identical to Int(A/B).

> Rick

Thu, 09 Dec 2004 06:06:02 GMT
 Lowest whole number
I'm not sure I'd agree that Fix is any more readable than Int is.
However, if that is your feeling, fine...as long as you are dealing with
positive numbers only. For negative numbers, the difference between Fix
and Int (or its equivalent backslash representation) is significant.

Rick

Quote:
> I'd say use the Fix() method, mainly because it improves readability.

> Kind Regards
>    Nick Palmius

> > > Fix is necessary if you might have very large numbers (larger than
> > long).

> > Huh???

> > From the VB Help files:

> > Both Int and Fix remove the fractional part of number and return the
> > resulting integer value.

> > The difference between Int and Fix is that if number is negative,
Int
> > returns the first negative integer less than or equal to number,
whereas
> > Fix returns the first negative integer greater than or equal to
number.
> > For example, Int converts -8.4 to -9, and Fix converts -8.4 to -8.

> > To the Original Poster: The backslash performs integer division.
> >                                  A\B is identical to Int(A/B).

> > Rick

Thu, 09 Dec 2004 09:41:36 GMT
 Lowest whole number

Quote:
> I'm not sure I'd agree that Fix is any more readable than Int is.
> However, if that is your feeling, fine...as long as you are dealing with
> positive numbers only. For negative numbers, the difference between Fix
> and Int (or its equivalent backslash representation) is significant.

Fair enough, using Int or Fix makes no significant difference to
readability, however, the \ sign is very easily mistaken for / , for obvious
reasons, which is what I meant.

Nick Palmius

Quote:

> Rick

> > I'd say use the Fix() method, mainly because it improves readability.

> > Kind Regards
> >    Nick Palmius

> > > long).

> > > Huh???

> > > From the VB Help files:

> > > Both Int and Fix remove the fractional part of number and return the
> > > resulting integer value.

> > > The difference between Int and Fix is that if number is negative,
> Int
> > > returns the first negative integer less than or equal to number,
> whereas
> > > Fix returns the first negative integer greater than or equal to
> number.
> > > For example, Int converts -8.4 to -9, and Fix converts -8.4 to -8.

> > > To the Original Poster: The backslash performs integer division.
> > >                                  A\B is identical to Int(A/B).

> > > Rick

Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:03:08 GMT
 Lowest whole number
But integer division ( \ ) is faster than floating point ( / ) or calling a
secondary function (Fix).

--

Randy Birch
MVP Visual Basic

> > I'm not sure I'd agree that Fix is any more readable than Int is.
> > However, if that is your feeling, fine...as long as you are dealing with
> > positive numbers only. For negative numbers, the difference between Fix
> > and Int (or its equivalent backslash representation) is significant.

> Fair enough, using Int or Fix makes no significant difference to
> readability, however, the \ sign is very easily mistaken for / , for
obvious
> reasons, which is what I meant.

> Nick Palmius

> > Rick

> > > I'd say use the Fix() method, mainly because it improves readability.

> > > Kind Regards
> > >    Nick Palmius

> > Int
> > whereas
> > number.

Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:12:53 GMT
 Lowest whole number

Quote:
> Fair enough, using Int or Fix makes no significant difference to
> readability, however, the \ sign is very easily mistaken for / , for
obvious
> reasons, which is what I meant.

I kinda suspected that, but you made a direct suggestion to
(always<==implied) use the Fix function. I just wanted to point out that
Int and \ are identically equivalent for *all* numbers whereas the Fix
function and \ are equivalent for only the *positive* numbers (and,
hence, can produce different results for the negative numbers).

Rick

Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:15:40 GMT
 Lowest whole number

Quote:
> > Fair enough, using Int or Fix makes no significant difference to
> > readability, however, the \ sign is very easily mistaken for / , for
> obvious
> > reasons, which is what I meant.

> I kinda suspected that, but you made a direct suggestion to
> (always<==implied) use the Fix function. I just wanted to point out that
> Int and \ are identically equivalent for *all* numbers whereas the Fix
> function and \ are equivalent for only the *positive* numbers (and,
> hence, can produce different results for the negative numbers).

> Rick

Yeah, It all depends on the situation I think, BUT as Randy said, Integer
Division is faster than Floating point (Though not really noticable unless
on a very large scale), and with it working for negative numbers too, it
will probably be more usefull all round. I stand corrected. However, there
will always be situations where Fix() will be more usefull, such as where
you want negative numbers converted to positive, But I don't really think
that that was the issue here.

Kind Regards
   Nick Palmius

Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:26:58 GMT
 Lowest whole number

Quote:
>>   A\B is identical to Int(A/B).

Not quite. Try it with A = 99999999999

A \ B gives an overflow error. Int and Fix do not.

Quote:
> > Fix is necessary if you might have very large numbers (larger than a
> long).

> Huh???

> From the VB Help files:

> Both Int and Fix remove the fractional part of number and return the
> resulting integer value.

> The difference between Int and Fix is that if number is negative, Int
> returns the first negative integer less than or equal to number, whereas
> Fix returns the first negative integer greater than or equal to number.
> For example, Int converts -8.4 to -9, and Fix converts -8.4 to -8.

> To the Original Poster: The backslash performs integer division.
>                                  A\B is identical to Int(A/B).

> Rick

Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:51:30 GMT
 Lowest whole number
You are right..."identical" was a stretch. However, they are
functionally identical to within the ranges allowed by their arguments.
The backslash takes values up to the maximum allowed for a Long for each
of its arguments whereas the arguments for Int and Fix seem to work up
to the maximum allowed for a Double if "normal* variable types are used
and up to that for a Decimal data type if a Variant variable is used
which has been cast as a Decimal.

Rick

Quote:
> >>   A\B is identical to Int(A/B).

> Not quite. Try it with A = 99999999999

> A \ B gives an overflow error. Int and Fix do not.

> > > Fix is necessary if you might have very large numbers (larger than
> > long).

> > Huh???

> > From the VB Help files:

> > Both Int and Fix remove the fractional part of number and return the
> > resulting integer value.

> > The difference between Int and Fix is that if number is negative,
Int
> > returns the first negative integer less than or equal to number,
whereas
> > Fix returns the first negative integer greater than or equal to
number.
> > For example, Int converts -8.4 to -9, and Fix converts -8.4 to -8.

> > To the Original Poster: The backslash performs integer division.
> >                                  A\B is identical to Int(A/B).

> > Rick

Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:22:14 GMT
 Lowest whole number

Quote:

> i am trying to get the lowest whole number from an eqaution.

> for example

> 407 / 160 = 2.54

> i would like to have 407 / 160 return the value of 2

> i tried round(407 / 160) but it returns 3.

> so, my question..

> how can i force vb to round down no matter what the remainder is???

Round "down", or round towards zero?  It matters mainly when there might
be negative numbers involved.  How large and how small could the numbers
be?

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     On the cans? <http://www.xenu.net/>

Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:34:49 GMT
 Lowest whole number
Hello,

Try to use
     n = Int(407/160)

Have a good day, Philippe.

Quote:

Quote:

>> i am trying to get the lowest whole number from an
eqaution.

>> for example

>> 407 / 160 = 2.54

>> i would like to have 407 / 160 return the value of 2

>> i tried round(407 / 160) but it returns 3.

>> so, my question..

>> how can i force vb to round down no matter what the
remainder is???

>Round "down", or round towards zero?  It matters mainly
when there might
>be negative numbers involved.  How large and how small
could the numbers
>be?

>--
>Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     On the cans?

<http://www.xenu.net/>
Quote:
>WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the

above        They're   coming  to
Quote:
>because  my cats have  apparently  learned to

type.        take me away, ha ha!

>.

Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:52:14 GMT

1. different numbers, which is lowest number

2. Convert decimals to whole numbers

3. Force Textbox to accept only whole numbers

4. HELP Formatting TextBox for whole numbers

5. How to request a WHOLE positive number?

6. Whole Numbers Missing - What Gives?

7. How to detect whole numbers

8. How to divide in whole numbers with rnd

9. RSQ:convert api hi/low to vb number

10. Date FIlter for whole month

11. DoCmd.GoToControl highlights whole field

12. how do I round a fraction UP to the next nearest whole number?