translator
Author Message
 translator

Quote:
> Hi,

> I hope this question isn't to stupid. I'm a very beginning programmer
> who has recently been working with the programming language  Clipper.
> Is there any programs out there that can take a clipper code and
> translate it into comprible VB code.

To my knowledge, Clipper isn't a programming language. It's a database
application, somewhat like Microsoft's Access.  Now Clipper might support
some kind of "programming language" within itself.  For example, Access
supports VBA, which is a subset of Visual Basic.  But that doesn't make
Access a programming language, nor a tool you can use to write
general-purpose programs.  Likewise, what you've programmed in Clipper is
probably specific to Clipper.  Now if Clipper uses VBA (and I have no idea
if it does or not), you may find that a lot of your code can be moved to VB
with minimal changes. But you would most certainly need to make some code
changes

Mike
.

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:07:19 GMT
 translator
Hi Jim!  An old Clipper programmer myself!  And YES, Mike D., Clipper was a
programming language and NOT a database tool!  It was language that natively
included database access commands but it was a general-purpose programming
language.  Wrote screen designers, operating system utilities, text editors,
and much more in Clipper which was object-oriented before Basic - and with a
any of a couple of cheap add-ons more object-oriented than VB 6 ever will
be. But enough good and goofy memories!!

Clipper was DOS-based and not particularly event driven (after CA ("Computer
Associates") bought it and killed it) they came out with a Windows version
called CA-Visual Objects found here:

http://ca.com/products/visual_objects/

They may have some way to port old Clipper code to their not very new
Windows 32-bit product.  Don't know myself - left Clipper to go to Windows
and never looked back until today.

In any case it would be nearly impossible to automatically translate code
written for DOS to event-driven Windows and if you really want to do
something like this by hand I would suggest that you first learn how Windows
works and VB is great tool to teach you the basics of that - so jump in!
And we'll be floating around here in our giant truck tubes if the water get
too rough.

Good Luck, Charles

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:59:09 GMT
 translator
I doubt if there currently exists such a program.
However, such translators can be constructed,
and make sense if you have enough code (or the
application is critical enough) to justify do it.
How much is enough depends on your organization.

We build such translators commercially.
See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/Services/LegacyMigration.html

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO   512-250-1018
Semantic Designs, Inc.      www.semdesigns.com

Quote:
> Hi,

> I hope this question isn't to stupid. I'm a very beginning programmer
> who has recently been working with the programming language  Clipper.
> Is there any programs out there that can take a clipper code and
> translate it into comprible VB code.

> Thanks,
> Jim

Sun, 01 May 2005 02:44:39 GMT

1. Translator

2. Language translators

3. VB.Net to C# translator

4. Language Translator from C# to VB

5. BCX 3.75 BASIC to C Translator For Windows Available

6. BCX -- BASIC to C Translator For Windows

7. Translator from Basic to gcc?

8. QBasic PDS to C translator

9. Business Basic (BBx) to Visual Basic Translator

10. Update: BCX - Free BASIC To C Translator For Windows

11. Ann. BCX -- The BASIC to Ansi C Translator

12. Anyone interested in Basic to C Translator ?