What is the point of ActiveX Documents ?
Author Message
 What is the point of ActiveX Documents ?

What is the point of ActiveX Documents ? The fact that these applications
are viewed within browers (or other containers) appears to be independant of
the idea of the browser in the first place - let me rephase.

The browser is used to 'hit' urls from where htm, asp (etc...) pages are
sent to
the client from the web server. When compiled ActiveX Document projects
produce either an exe or dll PLUS the 'interface component' which has a vbd
extension. It is my understanding that these files are run on local
machines. If these files were on web servers I could see the advantage but
if the files have to be on local machines with separate installs per
client - why not just give them a Visual Basic exe project for their hard
drives ? If the ActiveX Document projects simply provide an alternative
interface (i.e. the interface is contained in the browser container) I think
Microsoft is spinning it's wheels - personally, I just don't see why you'd
give a client something like this...

So have I missed something here or are ActiveX Documents simply an
alternative interface to traditional vb exe program (an alternative where no
alternative was needed ) there must be some reason that they spent
development time on this. Again, if it was removing an install from each
client I'd understand - but it doesn't appear to be. It would be nice if all
the client needed was a browser and then hit the appropriate server to use
the application.

Don

Fri, 10 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the point of ActiveX Documents ?

If you use CGI, or to some extent Java, the browser is all the client
needs.  I'm as mistified by the "Active Form" as you are.  The only
place I can see it possibly being of any use at all is on an intranet.
And even then, do you really want enable ActiveX controls for all the
PCs in the enterprise just so that they can use your homegrown Active
Forms?  (Assuming they have internet access) It seems like a huge
security risk.  I personally stick to a mix of CGIs, Javascript, and
occaisionally a Java(1.0) applet as most of my clients wouldn't even
consider an "active form" as a viable web strategy.

Quote:
>So have I missed something here or are ActiveX Documents simply an
>alternative interface to traditional vb exe program (an alternative where no
>alternative was needed ) there must be some reason that they spent
>development time on this. Again, if it was removing an install from each
>client I'd understand - but it doesn't appear to be. It would be nice if all
>the client needed was a browser and then hit the appropriate server to use
>the application.

>Don

____________________
Richard Rowell

 PGP Key fingerprint =  D3 D2 32 2C 28 B9 0B 05  A4 0B C5 5E 20 FE D7 C6
 Keys can be found at:
 http://bs.mit.edu:8001/pks-toplev.html
 http://keyserv.integris-ds.com/

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. ActiveX Document Executable, What Am I Missing?

2. sizing an Activex Document to the document size in IE

3. Display a VBD file from an ActiveX Document Server DLL in a HTML Document

4. Determine where the insertion point (cursor) is in a document

5. ActiveX or ActiveX Document???

6. Bullet points in a printed document etc

7. Hosting a WebBrowser Control Inside ActiveX Document or ActiveX Control to be Ho

8. ActiveX Documents containing ActiveX Components - Internet download problem

9. Intranet application with ActiveX Document and Activex Server Component

10. create a link to a excel, power point, word document

11. Intranet application with ActiveX Document and Activex Server Component

12. Entry points to ActiveX DLL?