VB5.0 & Clarion Dll (API) --HELP HELP
Author Message
 VB5.0 & Clarion Dll (API) --HELP HELP

Is it possible to access a function contained in clarion created DLL from
anywhere outside of clarion.  I am trying to create some ActiveX wrappers
around an existing clarion 4.0 32 bit application.   I have tried accessing
the clarion DLL just like I would any API call in VB 5.0...but have been
unsuccessfull ...
the code is below..

Clarion 4.0
---------------
   MODULE('XYZFUNC')
      xyz()
   END

VB 5.0
Module
----------
Declare Function xyz  lib  "XYZFUNC" ()

Form
-------
xyz

xyz is contained within the XYZFUNC  dll and it has no arguments

the error keep getting is file not found.  I have tried placing the clarion
DLL in both the windows and the system directory...

is there something about the clarion created DLL that I am missing...

Thanks in advance for any help..

Chris Simmons

Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB5.0 & Clarion Dll (API) --HELP HELP

I don't know what Clarion is, but I am sure that the dll you are calling
should adhere strictly to the calling convention expected by VB. Anyway,
this does not seem to be problem, because VB (at least 5.0) is able to

There is a definite problem in your VB function declaration. you have to
state the full name of the dll, i.e. "XYZFUNC.dll" and not just "XYZFUNC".
Only gdi32, user32 and kernel32 are allowed the luxury of no extension in
the declaration !!

Niels

Quote:

>Is it possible to access a function contained in clarion created DLL from
>anywhere outside of clarion.  I am trying to create some ActiveX wrappers
>around an existing clarion 4.0 32 bit application.   I have tried accessing
>the clarion DLL just like I would any API call in VB 5.0...but have been
>unsuccessfull ...
>the code is below..

>Clarion 4.0
>---------------
>   MODULE('XYZFUNC')
>      xyz()
>   END

>VB 5.0
>Module
>----------
>Declare Function xyz  lib  "XYZFUNC" ()

>Form
>-------
>xyz

>xyz is contained within the XYZFUNC  dll and it has no arguments

>the error keep getting is file not found.  I have tried placing the clarion
>DLL in both the windows and the system directory...

>is there something about the clarion created DLL that I am missing...

>Thanks in advance for any help..

>Chris Simmons

Sun, 15 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB5.0 & Clarion Dll (API) --HELP HELP

Thanks for the help..
   I made the change you suggested(along with some other changes to the
Clarion dll) and have made it a little further....I appears that now I have
found the dll but the entry point is not correct..The vb code looks good to
me....I think that the problem is with my clarion dll..

Module
Declare Function CheckIt Lib "irstest.dll" Alias "VBCheckIt" ()

Form
CheckIt

I am at a loss because the clarion world is something I am very new to me...

Any other suggestions..I am on a short deadline and banging my head against
the wall...

Chris Simmons

Sun, 15 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB5.0 & Clarion Dll (API) --HELP HELP

Try the following:
Declare Sub CheckIt Lib "irstest.dll" Alias "VBCheckIt" ()
If you don't declare it with Sub, I think VB will expect the Function to
return a variant (16 bytes)

Quote:
>Thanks for the help..
>   I made the change you suggested(along with some other changes to the
>Clarion dll) and have made it a little further....I appears that now I have
>found the dll but the entry point is not correct..The vb code looks good to
>me....I think that the problem is with my clarion dll..

>Module
>Declare Function CheckIt Lib "irstest.dll" Alias "VBCheckIt" ()

>Form
>CheckIt

>I am at a loss because the clarion world is something I am very new to
me...

>Any other suggestions..I am on a short deadline and banging my head against
>the wall...

>Chris Simmons

Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. .DLL & .API syntax help requested

2. HELP HELP PLEASE!!! API Dlls

3. Help converting Clarion db to MS Access

4. Help reading Clarion database with VB

5. Help: Comctl32, Comdlg32, Dblist32 problems porting VB4 to VB5 (VB5 GPF in Mfc40.dll)

6. VB & Clarion

7. Using VB5 OCX's in Clarion

8. help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,

9. Using unace.dll & unrar.dll in VB5

10. HELP: KeyPreview && Text Boxes :HELP

11. Help:Netware API Help File(in Windows Help file format)

12. Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,