Print PCL to printer
Author Message
 Print PCL to printer

I want to print a PCL file on any available Windows Printer.  How would I do
this?
I tried opening the file in Binary mode and sending the data to the printer
that way.  But I was getting strange characters.  The printer was not
translating the PCL.  Any ideas?
The printer is PCL compatible by the way.

Bill

Mon, 08 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Print PCL to printer
What OS are you using, and how are you sending the data to the
printer?  If you're going through the normal printer driver without
using the escape functions then the driver will interpret your PCL to
PCL which would be gibberish by the time it reaches the printer.

The "old way" was to use the printer Escape API functions.  If your
code is 16bit, that's what you'll need to do.  If your code is 32bit
your best bet is to use the spooler API calls.  For samples of these
see Karl Peterson's web site and look for the Spooler sample.  His
site is

http://www.mvps.org/vb/

To be honest I haven't looked at this sample, but the description
indicates it's a sample of these calls.  It's pretty painless using
these.

Dan

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 12:24:09 -0400, "Bill Hicks"

Quote:

>I want to print a PCL file on any available Windows Printer.  How would I do
>this?
>I tried opening the file in Binary mode and sending the data to the printer
>that way.  But I was getting strange characters.  The printer was not
>translating the PCL.  Any ideas?
>The printer is PCL compatible by the way.

>Bill

Mon, 08 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Printing a PCL Formatted file to the default printer

2. PCL Print Code with Printer Object Output

3. Printing PCL/5 files directly to HP Printers (VB4)

4. Printing PCL/5 files directly to HP Printers (VB4)

5. Q: How to send PCL commands to a printer from VBA

6. ActivePrinter = "PCL Printer" does not work

7. How To Send Printer PCL Commands?

8. Printer object in VB & PCL 5 language

9. Sending escape sequences to PCL printer ??

10. PCL Printer Control Language

11. Generating a printer (PCL) file from a Crystal Report

12. Sending PCL 5e Escape Characters to the Printer