Making a child window MUCH bigger than its parent MDI window
Author Message
 Making a child window MUCH bigger than its parent MDI window

Is this possible?

I've noticed that with an MDI application, it is impossible to make a child form much bigger than the screen size. How
can I do this? You see, I want to make the child form the same size as the printer resolution so that I can get true
WYSIWYG, but I'm unable to resize the child form past certain widths and heights which I presume are the screen size or
near abouts. I've played around with different scale units, but that makes no difference. Hopefully I'd be able to size
the child form to whatever I wanted, and then use the parent MDI window's scrollbars to move around the form. Is there
some way using a picture box control on the form and making the form take its dimensions from that?

I just can't see how this is done, and yet I've seen other VB apps that have managed it.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated.

I'm using VB5 Prof. with SP3.

Cheers

James

           Dr. James C. Hallows
        ====================

Homepage:       http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~jchall
Fox Two:         http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~jchall/fox2.html

      "Fox Two - the ultimate Thrustmaster utility"

Unable to see my homepage or send me e-mail? There may be a
problem with my service provider.
Check out: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Or send me E-mail at my college address:

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Making a child window MUCH bigger than its parent MDI window

Quote:

> Is this possible?

> I've noticed that with an MDI application, it is impossible to make a child form much bigger than the screen size. How
> can I do this? You see, I want to make the child form the same size as the printer resolution so that I can get true
> WYSIWYG, but I'm unable to resize the child form past certain widths and heights which I presume are the screen size or
> near abouts. I've played around with different scale units, but that makes no difference. Hopefully I'd be able to size
> the child form to whatever I wanted, and then use the parent MDI window's scrollbars to move around the form. Is there
> some way using a picture box control on the form and making the form take its dimensions from that?

> I just can't see how this is done, and yet I've seen other VB apps that have managed it.

Hi,
Try again with borderstyle set to 'None'

Michaela

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Making a child window MUCH bigger than its parent MDI window

Quote:

>> Is this possible?

>> I've noticed that with an MDI application, it is impossible to make a child form much bigger than the screen size. How
>> can I do this? You see, I want to make the child form the same size as the printer resolution so that I can get true
>> WYSIWYG, but I'm unable to resize the child form past certain widths and heights which I presume are the screen size or
>> near abouts. I've played around with different scale units, but that makes no difference. Hopefully I'd be able to size
>> the child form to whatever I wanted, and then use the parent MDI window's scrollbars to move around the form. Is there
>> some way using a picture box control on the form and making the form take its dimensions from that?

>> I just can't see how this is done, and yet I've seen other VB apps that have managed it.

>Hi,
>Try again with borderstyle set to 'None'

>Michaela

Nope that doesn't work - thanks to Randy Birch I've discovered that the answer lies in using Scrollable Viewports.

ARTICLE-ID: Q71068

               TITLE     : How to Create Scrollable Viewports in Visual Basic

Cheers

James

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Making a child window much bigger than its parent MDI window

2. Making a child form much bigger than the parent MDI form

3. Move activex dll child on a MDI parent parent window

4. problem restoring state of (NON-MDI) child windows when parent form restores

5. VB5: Crystal Reports child-window haven't title in MDI-parent form

6. MDI Child's Parent window

7. Find out hWnd of parent window of a MDI-child

8. problem restoring state of (NON-MDI) child windows in VB5 when parent restores

9. How To Make MDI Child Bigger Than Parent?

10. Updating parent window and closing child window

11. Updating parent window and closing child window

12. Closing Parent Window when the child window closes