A different type of MDI Application
Author Message
 A different type of MDI Application

I am developing an MDI Application with a little twist.  All them MDI
Children are actual standard forms in ole servers and are placed on the MDI
Form using the SetParent API call.

Question: Is it an advisable approach to use the SetParent api in this
fashion ?

           All my ole servers have a circular reference back to the main app, is
there any know problems with circular references?

Mon, 12 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A different type of MDI Application

Hi Steven:

Question: Is it an advisable approach to use the SetParent api in this
fashion ?
<<

I am no expert on this... but I do believe you should *not* use setparent
with forms, only controls.  What you can use is SetWindowLong, i.e.

  SetWindowLong frmChild.hWnd, GWL_HWNDPARENT, frmMain.hWnd

Hope this helps,

Doug.

Mon, 12 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A different type of MDI Application

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 11:28:36 -0800, "Steven Lewandowski"

Quote:

>I am developing an MDI Application with a little twist.  All them MDI
>Children are actual standard forms in ole servers and are placed on the MDI
>Form using the SetParent API call.
>Question: Is it an advisable approach to use the SetParent api in this
>fashion ?

I've done this with few if any problems. You should however "reverse"
the operation before closing the app.

Trond Solberg
Systems Consultant
Mandatum as
----

http://www.mandatum.no

Tue, 13 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using a MDI OLE application in my MDI application

2. MDI type application without regular window frames?

3. MDI form and MDI Child in different projects

4. MDI form and MDI Child in different projects

5. Using types in a different assembly given that the type may be used or not used

6. Non MDI child forms cause MDI application to lose focus

7. Different identity in Application Proxy for COM+ application

8. VB.NET How Do I Run MDI-Child On Different Thread

9. MDI child .Top property returns different values

10. MDI Childe in different VB project

11. MDI Child - Different Approach

12. MDI Childe in different VB project