Runtime error 7: Out of Memory
Author Message
 Runtime error 7: Out of Memory

I've made a program using Visual Basic 6.0. The program works fine when
trying it on Windows 2000, but when trying it on Windows 98 i get "Runtime
error 7: Out of Memory. Why do i get this error on Windows 98, but it doesn'
t appear on Windows 2000?

I would appreciate if anyone can help me with this problem.

Thank you.

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:26:36 GMT
 Runtime error 7: Out of Memory

Quote:
> I've made a program using Visual Basic 6.0. The program works fine when
> trying it on Windows 2000, but when trying it on Windows 98 i get "Runtime
> error 7: Out of Memory. Why do i get this error on Windows 98, but it
doesn'
> t appear on Windows 2000?

> I would appreciate if anyone can help me with this problem.

Just a shot in the dark:

PRB: "Error 7 - Out of Memory" Error Message From Visual Basic Application
Using FM20.DLL
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q241245

If you're not using FM20.DLL in your app, then you need to provide more
information....preferably the code which causes the error. Simply stating it
"works" under Win2K but doesn't "work" under Win98 is not helpful at all.

Admittedly, this can be difficult if you can't reproduce the error on a
development PC. In that case, you need to write "debug" versions of your app
that report detailed information about the error, such as the procedure name
and preferably even the line of code which causes the error.  This may mean
adding line numbers.  Your app can report the procedure name and line number
within that procedure, which you can then reference in your source code, and
know exactly what line of code is causing the error.  Actually, even doing
this in a production version of your app is not a bad idea.

Mike

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:07:21 GMT
 Runtime error 7: Out of Memory
lotienne: I replied to your multipost earlier with a link
that should have explained why you only see these problems
on Win9x OS's...

I think you've run into a well documented Win9x issue here...

All programs share a single block of 64k heap space that
is used to address ALL graphical elements such as controls,
bitmaps, fonts, etc... throughout the entire OS.

When you get this error the only thing you can do is unload
some of the programs that are using that memory or some of the
things that take up that space...  (i.e. uninstall as many
fonts as you reasonably can, lose any desktop bitmaps, active
desktop items, etc...).  Also, unload forms that you have in
your app that are not in use.  If you have 10 forms with 50
controls each, that's alot of resources being used that (likely)
don't really need to be retained.

Windows NT OS's do not suffer this design flaw... because MS
actually took the time to "design this flaw out of the OS"...

Win9x OS's were a hack... The old joke goes like this :

    Windows 95
    ------- --
  32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a
  16 bit patch to an
  8 bit operating system originally coded for a
  4 bit microprocessor, written by a
  2 bit company that can't stand
  1 bit of competition

Sadly, theres a bit of truth in there...

D.

Quote:

> > I've made a program using Visual Basic 6.0. The program works fine when
> > trying it on Windows 2000, but when trying it on Windows 98 i get
"Runtime
> > error 7: Out of Memory. Why do i get this error on Windows 98, but it
> doesn'
> > t appear on Windows 2000?

> > I would appreciate if anyone can help me with this problem.

> Just a shot in the dark:

> PRB: "Error 7 - Out of Memory" Error Message From Visual Basic Application
> Using FM20.DLL
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q241245

> If you're not using FM20.DLL in your app, then you need to provide more
> information....preferably the code which causes the error. Simply stating
it
> "works" under Win2K but doesn't "work" under Win98 is not helpful at all.

> Admittedly, this can be difficult if you can't reproduce the error on a
> development PC. In that case, you need to write "debug" versions of your
app
> that report detailed information about the error, such as the procedure
name
> and preferably even the line of code which causes the error.  This may
mean
> adding line numbers.  Your app can report the procedure name and line
number
> within that procedure, which you can then reference in your source code,
and
> know exactly what line of code is causing the error.  Actually, even doing
> this in a production version of your app is not a bad idea.

> Mike

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:37:50 GMT

1. Runtime Error 7 - Out of memory

2. VB6 Runtime error 7 Out of Memory on XP

3. runtime error 7 "not enough memory"

4. 'runtime error 2004' out of memory

5. Runtime Error 7 - Out of memory

6. runtime error 7 "Out of memory"

7. Out of Memory - Runtime error #7

8. Runtime error 7 -- Out of memory

9. Runtime Error 7- Out of memory under windows NT

10. Runtime error 7-Out of Memory

11. runtime error '7' out of memory

12. Out of Memory Error & 64K memory limit