MDI Form vs Non-MDI form
Author Message
 MDI Form vs Non-MDI form

Hi-

  I just wrote a fairly small VB4/16 app and at first I was using an MDI
form but then I removed the MDI form and I'm now just using a simple
normal form.  But now I have 2 bizzare things happening:

1) Now the the Win95 task bar is always covered up by my app even when
the task bar is set to always be on top!  I think my users want to see
their task bars.

2) Sometimes in the VB environment the little x button in the upper
right corner of my app does not close down the app even though the
button looks okay.  It works properly from the .EXE though.

  In general do small apps need MDI forms...should they always be used?
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mon, 25 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MDI Form vs Non-MDI form

Quote:
>  I just wrote a fairly small VB4/16 app and at first I was using an MDI
>form but then I removed the MDI form and I'm now just using a simple
>normal form.  But now I have 2 bizzare things happening:

>1) Now the the Win95 task bar is always covered up by my app even when
>the task bar is set to always be on top!  I think my users want to see
>their task bars.

>2) Sometimes in the VB environment the little x button in the upper
>right corner of my app does not close down the app even though the
>button looks okay.  It works properly from the .EXE though.

>  In general do small apps need MDI forms...should they always be used?
>Any thoughts?

Did you unset the MDIChild property of your form(s)?  VB5 will let you
set the property, but aborts execution if you try to run without a
parent.  I don't have VB4-16 to test my assumption with.

I can't say for sure whether or not your app should be MDI.  My rule
is if my app is going to need to display 2 or more major form
simultaneously I use an MDI parent as a container. (These forms do not
need to be the same form)

I think it makes for an easier interface for the user and is less
confusing as to what is part of my app and what isn't.  This is
expecially true for newer machines with tons of RAM.

---
Bryan

Mon, 25 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Q: Form activate Fires On Non Child MDI Forms But Only Once On Child Mdi Forms

2. MDI .vs. Non-MDI Form

3. Non-MDI form to MDI form

4. Modal non MDI forms and Modeless MDI child forms in VB 5.0

5. Q:non-MDI form to update MDI form

6. Non MDI child forms cause MDI application to lose focus

7. MDI vs. Non-MDI Parent

8. Child form in non MDI form

9. Modifying object in MDI Parent form from MDI Child form

10. Make a reference to a MDI form with a reference of a MDI child form

11. MDI-Child form and positon on MDI-form

12. Developing OLE MDI Child forms displayed on Control MDI Form