Simple Q. for the reasonably experienced
Author Message
 Simple Q. for the reasonably experienced

You know that you can make your computer always use a certain application to
open files with certain extension names - ie - .doc files are opened by
Word. Well i assume this is kept in the registry so how can i check the
right bit in code to see if there is an entry for a file extension and then
get the exe file path to boot it up ?

Many thanks in advance....

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Simple Q. for the reasonably experienced

If you want to start a file in it's registered app. you can just use the
SHELL command on the file you want. It works for me.

--
Christian...

>You know that you can make your computer always use a certain application
>open files with certain extension names - ie - .doc files are opened by
>Word. Well i assume this is kept in the registry so how can i check the
>right bit in code to see if there is an entry for a file extension and then
>get the exe file path to boot it up ?

>Many thanks in advance....

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Simple Q. for the reasonably experienced

Use ShellExecute and pass it a filename and it works it out for you.

Search on http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/visbas-l.html

for shellexecute.

Matthew

Quote:
> You know that you can make your computer always use a certain application
> open files with certain extension names - ie - .doc files are opened by
> Word. Well i assume this is kept in the registry so how can i check the
> right bit in code to see if there is an entry for a file extension and
then
> get the exe file path to boot it up ?

> Many thanks in advance....

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Simple Q. for the reasonably experienced

Christian,

Are you saying that Shell("c:\temp\doc1.doc") works for you? I doubt it. I
have just tested it just in case, but you need to use ShellExecute API to
do that.

Matthew

Quote:
> If you want to start a file in it's registered app. you can just use the
> SHELL command on the file you want. It works for me.

> --
> Christian...

> --

> >You know that you can make your computer always use a certain
application
> >open files with certain extension names - ie - .doc files are opened by
> >Word. Well i assume this is kept in the registry so how can i check the
> >right bit in code to see if there is an entry for a file extension and
then
> >get the exe file path to boot it up ?

> >Many thanks in advance....

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Simple Q. for the reasonably experienced - 2

2. 2 fairly simple database Qs

3. Simple FileSystemObject Q.

4. A Simple Request For The Experienced

5. Help please with a simple problem I am sure for an experienced programmer

6. Simple question for the more experienced programmer??

7. Simple question for the experienced!

8. Simple question for the experienced!

9. Please Help--Probably simple to the experienced.

10. PDS7 PROGRAMMER WANTED-Multi-user experience-Network Experience

11. Q. Simple Question-How can I reuse Forms in VB?

12. Simple Q. How do you create a 16-bit .OCX?