HELP!! Resolving ShortCuts in VB6
Author Message
 HELP!! Resolving ShortCuts in VB6

Can anyone help me...

I need to resolve a .lnk file (shortcut) to its target file name and working
directory using Visual Basic 6, and return them as strings. I have tried
opening the file as it is binary it isn't that simple. I need to be able to
read the structure using the correct functions.

Is there anyway to do this using the Windows API?

I have noticed that if you select a ShortCut file in the CommonDialog
control it automatically resolves the name to the target, so there must be
some easy way of doing this.

I have looked through many of the ShellAPI functions but not quite found out
how to do it.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Gareth.

Mon, 21 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!! Resolving ShortCuts in VB6
It's not too hard to do, but you need special TypeLibraries to do it
in VB.  The TypeLibraries and an example program of how to use them is
on the VB CD in the UNSUPPRT\SHELLLNK folder.

Good Luck,
Russell Davis

Quote:

>Can anyone help me...

>I need to resolve a .lnk file (shortcut) to its target file name and
working
>directory using Visual Basic 6, and return them as strings. I have
tried
>opening the file as it is binary it isn't that simple. I need to be
able to
>read the structure using the correct functions.

>Is there anyway to do this using the Windows API?

>I have noticed that if you select a ShortCut file in the CommonDialog
>control it automatically resolves the name to the target, so there
must be
>some easy way of doing this.

>I have looked through many of the ShellAPI functions but not quite
found out
>how to do it.

>If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

>Thanks,
>Gareth.

Mon, 21 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. HELP!! Resolving ShortCuts in VB6

2. HELP!! Resolving ShortCuts in VB6

3. HELP!! Resolving ShortCuts in VB6

4. HELP!! Resolving ShortCuts in VB6

5. Help: Resolve .lnk (shortcut) files

6. Help: Resolve .lnk (shortcut) files

7. Resolved: VB6 + VC6 + DVF6 = DVF6 Help only (?)

8. resolving a shortcut

9. Resolving a shortcut file (.lnk)

10. Resolving Shortcut(.lnk) paths

11. resolving a shortcut