30 day trial editions of VB5 apps.
Author Message
 30 day trial editions of VB5 apps.

Hello folks!

Does anyone know a quick and easy (and hopefully foolproof) way of making a
30-day trial edition of a program using VB5? I would like to enable my users
to obtain a registration code which 'unlocks' the program for a small fee of
money, but I want to ensure that the 30 day trial edition cannot be hacked
into in any way.

I was wondering if I should store the program's install date at a hidden key
in the registry, so that the program could calculate if 30 days has passed,
but I was a bit scared about f**king up the registry by trying to create a
well-hidden key.

I've noticed that with most 30-day trial edition software, it is possible to
"fool" the program by setting the system date back a few days before running
the software, but the trial edition of Microsoft Publisher 98 is clever, and
can overcome this. Does anyone know how to create something as foolproof as
that!?

Thanking you in advance,

Mark Osborn
Ozzie Productions

Ozzie Productions Site:-
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 30 day trial editions of VB5 apps.

If you can write it, it can be hacked. Just look at all the warez
sites out there with codes, serials and whatnot.

Just put some sort of date scheme into your registry and misname it or
something. The general population isn't going to know what to do to
get around it.

As a funny aside, I am demoing an app at work that has a dongle. It
expired so I called and asked for the code for an extention since we
had not had time to use it. WHile I was waiting for the fax back with
the codes I thought I'd try the clock trick. This dongle has a clock
in it. It told me I should probably reset my computer clock back to
the correct time. :)

Quote:

>Hello folks!

>Does anyone know a quick and easy (and hopefully foolproof) way of making a
>30-day trial edition of a program using VB5? I would like to enable my users
>to obtain a registration code which 'unlocks' the program for a small fee of
>money, but I want to ensure that the 30 day trial edition cannot be hacked
>into in any way.

>I was wondering if I should store the program's install date at a hidden key
>in the registry, so that the program could calculate if 30 days has passed,
>but I was a bit scared about f**king up the registry by trying to create a
>well-hidden key.

>I've noticed that with most 30-day trial edition software, it is possible to
>"fool" the program by setting the system date back a few days before running
>the software, but the trial edition of Microsoft Publisher 98 is clever, and
>can overcome this. Does anyone know how to create something as foolproof as
>that!?

>Thanking you in advance,

>Mark Osborn
>Ozzie Productions

>Ozzie Productions Site:-
>http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/peaks/6708/index.html

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 30 day trial editions of VB5 apps.

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 30 day trial editions of VB5 apps.

I'm in the process of contracting to complete a 90% finished VB app
(programmer has gone insane and can't much help us).  I was betting he
did it in version 4 and am probably wrong.

I'm wondering if there's a way to know for sure that he did it in 5
(I'll go buy it), or if it might be in godforsaken 3, or if I'm missing
part of the source code and that's why it's returning a "...project file
... is corrupt and can't be loaded".

Direct reply would be best, but any help would be appreciated...

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 30 day trial editions of VB5 apps.

Quote:

>I'm in the process of contracting to complete a 90% finished VB app
>(programmer has gone insane and can't much help us).  I was betting he
>did it in version 4 and am probably wrong.

>I'm wondering if there's a way to know for sure that he did it in 5
>(I'll go buy it), or if it might be in godforsaken 3, or if I'm missing
>part of the source code and that's why it's returning a "...project file
>... is corrupt and can't be loaded".

If the project is a .MAK file then it is VB3 (or below).  If it is .VBP then
it is 4 or 5.  If it is VB4 or VB5 then you can open the files with NotePad
and will be able to read the version info as plain text.

If it is VB3 then the files may be plain text or may be binary.  If Notepad
shows lots of garbage then chances are you have a VB3 project saved in
binary format.

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 30 day trial editions of VB5 apps.

Open up one of the FR files in notepad and look at the first line.  It's the
version number

--
Bodi Klamph
Azure Dragon Software

Quote:

>I'm in the process of contracting to complete a 90% finished VB app
>(programmer has gone insane and can't much help us).  I was betting he
>did it in version 4 and am probably wrong.

>I'm wondering if there's a way to know for sure that he did it in 5
>(I'll go buy it), or if it might be in godforsaken 3, or if I'm missing
>part of the source code and that's why it's returning a "...project file
>... is corrupt and can't be loaded".

>Direct reply would be best, but any help would be appreciated...

begin 666 Bodi Klamph.vcf
M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#0I..DML86UP:#M";V1I#0I&3CI"
M;V1I($ML86UP: T*14U!24P[4%)%1CM)3E1%4DY%5#I"2VQA;7!H0$%Z=7)E

`
end

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 30 day trial editions of VB5 apps.

Quote:

> I'm in the process of contracting to complete a 90% finished VB app
> (programmer has gone insane and can't much help us).  I was betting he
> did it in version 4 and am probably wrong.

Is that the programmer's legacy?  Old programmers never die, they just go insane?
If you don't already know, what version do you currently use?

Quote:

> I'm wondering if there's a way to know for sure that he did it in 5
> (I'll go buy it), or if it might be in godforsaken 3, or if I'm missing
> part of the source code and that's why it's returning a "...project file
> ... is corrupt and can't be loaded".

With 4 and beyond, the source files are text, prior to 4, space saving binary
files were possibly the default option.

In case you have seen text form files....
My VB3 files list VERSION 2.00 as the first line of text, and my VB4/16 lists
VERSION 4.00

I would suggest you get confirmation on complete source text files, prior to an
agreement!  Verify all code by obvserving it load and run, if possible.

LFS

Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Strategies and Techniques for making 30-Day Trial Software

2. DEMO development? - 30 day trial programming

3. 30 days shareware trial, how?

4. 30 Days Trial RDC 8

5. 30 day trial

6. Help with 30 trial routine

7. Help with 30 trial routine

8. Create Task view Next 14, 30 days?

9. 30 days test

10. Registration - 30 day expiration

11. Timeout application after 30 days help needed with code

12. Software Protection - 30 days eval.