Opening databases without using Forms and placing the data control objects on them
Author Message
 Opening databases without using Forms and placing the data control objects on them

Rookie Question:

I am writing a "DLL" of sorts that will read a text file and place the data
into appropriate databases / fields.  There is no interaction with the
operator.  The problem I am having is finding documentation on opening the
database, writing to it, then saving the record(s).

For example, I am using Access for the database.  Inside Access I have
defined Tables.  I want to open the tables and populate them with data
without using a form to set the data controls with.

All of the documentation I have seen is regarding user interaction from the
console, ie. buttons to move to the next record/previous record, etc.

In the old days of  "Basic", we could simply open a data file, move data to
the specific fields, and then save the data.

Anything in doc's that represents this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for you help in advance.

Mike Bourne

Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:24:53 GMT
 Opening databases without using Forms and placing the data control objects on them
A bit more complicated now than in the old days but also more powerful.

You need to create an ADO object and set its connection properties.
Once you do that, you can connect to your database and issue your insert or
update commands (probably using SQL commands).  Then, close the connection and
you're done.  Check your MSDN Library for ADO, Accessing Databases for full
information.

One other thing, be sure to add a reference to your project for ADO before you
try this.  Otherwise, the ADO objects and library won't be available.

JWN

Quote:
[...]

.

Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:52:15 GMT

1. Opening databases without using Forms and placing the data control objects on them

2. Opening a database without using a DATA Control ?

3. Opening a database without using a DATA Control ?

4. Objects: Using them without placing them on a form

5. How can i print Everything on my form without using th printform method

6. open database without data control

7. Using VB5 to import data to access without using the Data control

8. using ordinairy access to database without data control

9. Connecting to a database without using the data control

10. using Data Control without a form

11. Creating an instance of a control without placing it on a form

12. Using the data control to open a Access Database with password