detecting "Large Fonts"
Author Message
 detecting "Large Fonts"

Hi-

  Is there a way to detect (in VB4/16 and VB5) whether my user has
selected "Large Fonts" in the Win95/Win3.1 Display selections?  And is
there a way to not have all my labels, etc use the larger fonts?  All my
labels and things get screwed up if someone is using "Large Fonts".

Thanks,

Mon, 11 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 detecting "Large Fonts"

Quote:

>  Is there a way to detect (in VB4/16 and VB5) whether my user has
>selected "Large Fonts" in the Win95/Win3.1 Display selections?  And is
>there a way to not have all my labels, etc use the larger fonts?  All my
>labels and things get screwed up if someone is using "Large Fonts".

The only way I know of to do it is to check the Screen.TwipsPerpixelX and
.TwipsPerPixelY values.  Changing to Large or custom font sizes changes
these values.  You'd be looking at a side-effect more than the actual
setting so if there's a better way I'd appreciate somebody correcting me.

Mon, 11 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 detecting "Large Fonts"

Large Fonts is 12 TwipsPerPixel
Small Fonts is 15 TwipsPerPixel

VB copes very well with this change providing
1    Any bitmaps are shown in Image controls, not PictureBoxes Image
controls will stretch/shrink the bitmap to fit the available space.

2    You make your labels slightly bigger than the text they contain. 10% is
usually enough. This gives enough room for the text to grow slightly without
being chopped.

You should test your application in both Font Sizes. And don't forget that
users can have a Custom font size. Visually impaired people find this
useful.

Regards,
Simon Jones
PC Pro Magazine

Tue, 12 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 detecting "Large Fonts"

<<Is there a way to not have all my labels, etc use the larger fonts?>>

I believe I've seen Bob recommend developing using Large Fonts, as the
tweaks required to make the results look reasonable for a Small Fonts user
are much less onerous than doing it the other way.  I try to persuade my
users to buy bigger screens (in fact, good gracious, I'll offer to pay for
them myself!)

Pip pip!
Bertie

Quote:

>>  Is there a way to detect (in VB4/16 and VB5) whether my user has
>>selected "Large Fonts" in the Win95/Win3.1 Display selections?  And is
>>there a way to not have all my labels, etc use the larger fonts?  All my
>>labels and things get screwed up if someone is using "Large Fonts".

>The only way I know of to do it is to check the Screen.TwipsPerpixelX and
>.TwipsPerPixelY values.  Changing to Large or custom font sizes changes
>these values.  You'd be looking at a side-effect more than the actual
>setting so if there's a better way I'd appreciate somebody correcting me.

Tue, 12 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 detecting "Large Fonts"

Try
How To Know Whether Large/Small Font is in Use Under Win95/NT
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q152/1/36.asp

it is a start for your 32 bit side....I do not know how to do it in
the 16 bit world.

Christopher Pisano

Quote:
>Hi-

>  Is there a way to detect (in VB4/16 and VB5) whether my user has
>selected "Large Fonts" in the Win95/Win3.1 Display selections?  And is
>there a way to not have all my labels, etc use the larger fonts?  All my
>labels and things get screwed up if someone is using "Large Fonts".

>Thanks,

Tue, 12 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 detecting "Large Fonts"

Quote:

><<Is there a way to not have all my labels, etc use the larger fonts?>>
>I believe I've seen Bob recommend developing using Large Fonts, as the

<cut>
Nope, wasn't me.  I've seen that same post as well but do not remember
offhand who posted it.

Tue, 12 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Detect "Large Fonts" ?

2. Help, please ("Large Fonts" problem)

3. "Large fonts" problem

4. "Small Fonts" and "Large Fonts"

5. Can anyone help Detecting Large Fonts/Small Fonts

6. Detect small fonts vs. large fonts

7. Detecting "Alt"+"Ctrl"+"Del" Key press

8. *"*-.,._,.-*"* I"LL TRADE VISUAL C++ FOR VBASIC *"*-.,_,.-*"*

9. Printing "Tiles" of Large Sheets

10. Form larger than "Form"

11. Form larger than "Form"

12. How to Set Font, then "TypeText"...?