line numbers in VB
Author Message
 line numbers in VB

Quote:
>For 99% of the errors you will encounter you will find that your code
>breaks at the line causing the error with the line in error being
>highlighted.  Is this not the same as giving you the line number?

Assuming you find 99% of your errors before distributing an EXE...

 /* MER */

Tue, 15 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 line numbers in VB

Quote:

>>For 99% of the errors you will encounter you will find that your code
>>breaks at the line causing the error with the line in error being
>>highlighted.  Is this not the same as giving you the line number?

>Assuming you find 99% of your errors before distributing an EXE...

> /* MER */

I'd have to agree with you here. I like to put line numbers before I
call certain functions just in case there's an error after
distribution. Instead of a panicked user calling with problem "123456"
and "I can't remember what I was doing!" I fill an error form with the
line number, err.number, and description. Now, I know exactly where to
jump in the code instead of having to search through it to find where
the specific error had been set off.

Just me $.02, though.

Systems Developer          http://www.jaxnet.com/~caryb/vb.html

Due to the overwhelming amount of unsolicited email I have
been receiving from email spammers, please remove the
".antispam" from my reply-to address if you wish to email
me. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Mon, 21 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 line numbers in VB

Quote:

> >>For 99% of the errors you will encounter you will find that your code
> >>breaks at the line causing the error with the line in error being
> >>highlighted.  Is this not the same as giving you the line number?

> >Assuming you find 99% of your errors before distributing an EXE...

> > /* MER */

> I'd have to agree with you here. I like to put line numbers before I
> call certain functions just in case there's an error after
> distribution. Instead of a panicked user calling with problem "123456"
> and "I can't remember what I was doing!" I fill an error form with the
> line number, err.number, and description. Now, I know exactly where to
> jump in the code instead of having to search through it to find where
> the specific error had been set off.

I am thinking of doing something similar, except I was going to set a
variable before every function call with the name of the function being
called and display that in an error message.

                  - Home Page: http://www.internauts.ca/~mikenowo/
                  - Lachine (Montreal), Quebec, Canada

Thu, 24 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Word '97 Line Number in VB 6.0

2. Line numbers and VB.NET

3. LINE NUMBERING IN VB

4. Word '97 Line Number from VB 6.0

5. Need tool to add line numbers to vb source

6. Line Numbers in VB IDE

7. Line Numbers in VB

8. line numbers in VB

9. line numbers in VB

10. PBM: Line numbers used by Goto method do not reflect displayed line numbers in document

11. Line numbers into multi-line text box

12. Numbering VB code lines