any alternative to compress/expand
Author Message
 any alternative to compress/expand

I have a need to export an access DB onto stiffies.
Is there any more modern mechanism to "zip" the file than the old clunky DOS
"compress" that is used for creating setup disks?

Is there any built-in file compression method?

Sun, 23 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 any alternative to compress/expand
    CAB (cabinet) files are used more often today.  VB's Packaging and
Deployment wizard uses them for setups now.  I believe there's a cmdline
utility called CABARC that will create them for you.  Check out the VS6 CD,
or check with Microsoft support.  This is from someone who's never needed to
create these before, so I can't give you any more detail than that :-)  If
someone knows more than this, please chime on in.

--
Paul Parkhurst
Software Engineer

Quote:

>I have a need to export an access DB onto stiffies.
>Is there any more modern mechanism to "zip" the file than the old clunky
DOS
>"compress" that is used for creating setup disks?

>Is there any built-in file compression method?

Mon, 24 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 any alternative to compress/expand
There have always been more modern ways to compress files... What do you
mean?
And what are stiffies?  3&1/2" floppies?

Sincerely,
David Phillips

Quote:

>I have a need to export an access DB onto stiffies.
>Is there any more modern mechanism to "zip" the file than the old clunky
DOS
>"compress" that is used for creating setup disks?

>Is there any built-in file compression method?

Mon, 24 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. expand.exe for new compress version?

2. compress/expand

3. *** EXPAND COMPRESSED FILES ***

4. Compress, Expand. LZ via the API

5. Expand TreeView not actually expanding

6. HELP: A DLL that can compress like COMPRESS.EXE

7. HELP: A DLL that can compress like COMPRESS.EXE

8. HELP: A DLL that can compress like COMPRESS.EXE

9. Compressing in Compress.exe format through code

10. Alternative to VB6, and open source alternative

11. VB3: How to compress/expand a file on the fly?

12. Subdata sheet - How do I expand with a macro command of VB