VB App hanging around--won't quit
Author Message
 VB App hanging around--won't quit

Have a business app. that makes links to a highly relational access 97 mdb
via datacontrols. If users use the VB 5.0 (SP3) app for longer than an hour,
when they quit the application it is still visible in the open applications
list (NT task manager).  In this case they open multiple copies unknowingly.
What would cause the app to "hang around". Application exit code unloads the
primary form (sdi) and then says 'End'. What else do I need to do to make it
QUIT???
Thanks
Jeff W-R

Sun, 22 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB App hanging around--won't quit

Jeff,

Never use End. It is a last resort - it sometimes even cause the app to NOT
be able to be unloaded since it doesn't release references to objects
properly.

I would suggest doing two things:

1. In testing, put me.show in the initialise event of all the forms you are
using. You can bet $10 it is not unloading forms properly.
2. When you want to exit use the following code:

dim frmdummy as form

for each frmdummy in Forms
        unload frmDummy
next

also, use "set 'formname' = nothing" for each form you have in the project.

Matthew

Quote:
> Have a business app. that makes links to a highly relational access 97
mdb
> via datacontrols. If users use the VB 5.0 (SP3) app for longer than an
hour,
> when they quit the application it is still visible in the open
applications
> list (NT task manager).  In this case they open multiple copies
unknowingly.
> What would cause the app to "hang around". Application exit code unloads
the
> primary form (sdi) and then says 'End'. What else do I need to do to make
it
> QUIT???
> Thanks
> Jeff W-R

Sun, 22 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB App hanging around--won't quit

I don't know if it make sence, but your 'Terminate-event' only happens if
all form's variables have been set to 'Nothing'.
This means you have to set the form to nothing during or after the Unload
event procedure.

For example:    Set Form1 = Nothing
        after calling the Unload statement for Form1

Joe

Quote:
>Have a business app. that makes links to a highly relational access 97 mdb
>via datacontrols. If users use the VB 5.0 (SP3) app for longer than an
hour,
>when they quit the application it is still visible in the open applications
>list (NT task manager).  In this case they open multiple copies
unknowingly.
>What would cause the app to "hang around". Application exit code unloads
the
>primary form (sdi) and then says 'End'. What else do I need to do to make
it
>QUIT???
>Thanks
>Jeff W-R

Fri, 27 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB App hanging around--won't quit

Thanks!  I have unloaded all the forms and set them to nothing with a
procedure to do so, but I was wondering if maybe this was an Access97 issue.
It only happens if the users have their machines on all day with out a
midday reboot. Someone mentioned a "memory leak". How do I deal with this?
JW-R

Wed, 01 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB3: Win 3.x Hangs on Exit w/VB Apps

2. Network question: VB app run off server hangs PC's

3. HELP NEEDED: Access 95 DAO Error - Won't Start, Access Quits

4. Help - Access Still Won't Quit!!!

5. Access 97 Won't Quit even after environment cleaned up

6. Access Won't Quit?

7. Quitting Application won't close Access 7.0

8. Strage situation when Outlook won't quit

9. Excel Automation won't quit

10. A program that won't quit

11. Help - Access Still Won't Quit!!!

12. Process just won't quit?