error 52 invalid filename or number
Author Message
 error 52 invalid filename or number

I have a VB 3.0 app that creates files.  A very small portion of the users
are experiencing problems when trying to establish the file name.  My app
uses a common dialog box to allow the users to specify or create a file to
save data to.  Some of them are getting the "invalid function call:5 error
52, invalid filename or number" message.  Yet after walking throught the
process with them over the phone, I'm not able to recreate it on my
machine.  The platform of the users vary as well.

I've read all the help files on the error message, but cannot determine why
the error occurrs only on a few machines.  Does anyone have any insights
that can help?

Thanks,
Phil-o

Sun, 05 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 error 52 invalid filename or number

I had a similar situation involving this error with an app that used
universal naming conventions(UNCs).  If the VB app was looking on the local
disk using a UNC path & filename, the directory pointed to by the universal
name still had to be shared, even though the file was on the local disk.

In my case, the VB app was looking for the file C:\MYDIR\MYFILE.DAT with a
Dir$("\\MYMACHINE\MYDIR\MYFILE.DAT").  I got the same error you're getting
until I shared the directory on my machine.  After that, it worked okay.

Just another possibility...good luck.

earl

Mon, 06 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. FileCopy Error 52 Bad FileName or number

2. run time error "52": bad file name or number

3. Bad file name or number error 52

4. Setup caused runtime error 52 - bad file name or number

5. Bad file name or number error 52

6. Run-time error '52': Bad file name or number

7. Error 52 - Bad file name or number

8. Error 52 as indicator of Network Error???

9. Error No 52

10. File Error 52 on NT4

11. How to trap Run-Time Error 52?

12. Error 52 on FileCopy