Add a form to a project at run time
Author Message
 Add a form to a project at run time

Hi
I have a calendar project and I want to add notes to certain dates within
the calendar year. The calendar display's on a one month at a time, each
active day and date within that month has a command button.
What I want to do is say click the command button for :-
Friday 15th May 2009 a pre designed form will appear and notes can be added
when the form closes store the information to be recalled later then clear
the form of data.

What is the best way to store the information, Flat file? or DB?
How to search to retrieve the correct information when required?
I am not sure how to start could someone help please?
Any other pointers that would be useful.

Ron

Sat, 29 Oct 2011 22:49:01 GMT
 Add a form to a project at run time

thoughts were released on Tue, 12 May 2009 07:49:01 -0700
bearing the following fruit:

Quote:
>Hi
>I have a calendar project and I want to add notes to certain dates within
>the calendar year. The calendar display's on a one month at a time, each
>active day and date within that month has a command button.
>What I want to do is say click the command button for :-
>Friday 15th May 2009 a pre designed form will appear and notes can be added
>when the form closes store the information to be recalled later then clear
>the form of data.

>What is the best way to store the information, Flat file? or DB?
>How to search to retrieve the correct information when required?
>I am not sure how to start could someone help please?
>Any other pointers that would be useful.

I'd use a database. I'm not sure what your question has to
do with the subject of your post though.
--
Jan Hyde

Sat, 29 Oct 2011 23:49:36 GMT
 Add a form to a project at run time
Hello LL
I have written and have been using just such an application.
Think of the big picture and what it means to users.
A DB is nice because it can be moved in one file copy but it is not versitile.
I decided on using an RTF file for each day.
That allows some very complex formatted notes and also allows editing in the
Windows Rich Text editor if desired.  My app includes some limited formatting
operations: bold, italic, strikethru, underline and text coloring.
Files are named for the YYYYMMDD so they can be sorted too.
I know it is difficult for some, but when developing applications, think
like a user not like a developer.
Ta
Quote:

> Hi
> I have a calendar project and I want to add notes to certain dates within
> the calendar year. The calendar display's on a one month at a time, each
> active day and date within that month has a command button.
> What I want to do is say click the command button for :-
> Friday 15th May 2009 a pre designed form will appear and notes can be added
> when the form closes store the information to be recalled later then clear
> the form of data.

> What is the best way to store the information, Flat file? or DB?
> How to search to retrieve the correct information when required?
> I am not sure how to start could someone help please?
> Any other pointers that would be useful.

> Ron

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 00:24:01 GMT
 Add a form to a project at run time

Quote:
> Hello LL
> I have written and have been using just such an application.
> Think of the big picture and what it means to users.
> A DB is nice because it can be moved in one file copy but it is not
versitile.
> I decided on using an RTF file for each day.
> That allows some very complex formatted notes and also allows editing in
the
> Windows Rich Text editor if desired.  My app includes some limited
formatting
> operations: bold, italic, strikethru, underline and text coloring.
> Files are named for the YYYYMMDD so they can be sorted too.
> I know it is difficult for some, but when developing applications, think
> like a user not like a developer.
> Ta

I'm essentially with bee on this one. I too had such a project at one time
and found separate RTF files to be a simple and workable solution.

The real problem is once you go down this road it gets bumpier, or to use a
common expression - you have let the cat out of the bag. And it isn't just
the number of files. It won't be long before you figure adding a few
additional notes not a bad idea. Perhaps a company anniversary, local and
national holidays, seminars, inventory, vacations, etc.; then you'll start
running across reasons for notes that span several days that are related -
departure info, Arrival, Check-in, Agenda, Field Trip, departure/arrival,
etc.; then weekly notes, then perhaps monthly notes.

You will likely end up with a hybrid - some kind of "database" engine to
manage where and what you are storing, and actual storage.

Note: "Flat-File" and "DB" are not exclusive. Many "databases" are based on
"flat-files".

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 00:52:45 GMT
 Add a form to a project at run time

Quote:
> Hi
> I have a calendar project and I want to add notes to certain dates within
> the calendar year. The calendar display's on a one month at a time, each
> active day and date within that month has a command button.
> What I want to do is say click the command button for :-
> Friday 15th May 2009 a pre designed form will appear and notes can be added
> when the form closes store the information to be recalled later then clear
> the form of data.

> What is the best way to store the information, Flat file? or DB?

How about Random Access?  The up side is easy setup and fast retrieval,
the down side is limited lengths.

Quote:
> How to search to retrieve the correct information when required?
> I am not sure how to start could someone help please?
> Any other pointers that would be useful.

If each day was allowed 100 characters, a 36K file would cover the
whole year.  If you want to expand that, you might add a Memo button
to your form which calls up a separate file named using the YYYMMDD
format others suggested.  You could even shell out to another editor and
let the user use their favorite editor (Notepad, Wordpad, Word, etc...)
for those secondary notes.

But, it really depends on what you want to store for each day.  If it is
going to be just one large memo field, then just the file (as suggested by
others) might be the way to go.  If you have several bits of info, in
addition to the users own memo, then Random Access might work well....

Exactly what do you plan to store for each day?

LFS

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 01:34:05 GMT
 Add a form to a project at run time
Thanks to you all for your posts, this has given me the start I wanted,
and lots to think about.

Ron

Quote:

> > Hi
> > I have a calendar project and I want to add notes to certain dates within
> > the calendar year. The calendar display's on a one month at a time, each
> > active day and date within that month has a command button.
> > What I want to do is say click the command button for :-
> > Friday 15th May 2009 a pre designed form will appear and notes can be added
> > when the form closes store the information to be recalled later then clear
> > the form of data.

> > What is the best way to store the information, Flat file? or DB?

> How about Random Access?  The up side is easy setup and fast retrieval,
> the down side is limited lengths.

> > How to search to retrieve the correct information when required?
> > I am not sure how to start could someone help please?
> > Any other pointers that would be useful.

> If each day was allowed 100 characters, a 36K file would cover the
> whole year.  If you want to expand that, you might add a Memo button
> to your form which calls up a separate file named using the YYYMMDD
> format others suggested.  You could even shell out to another editor and
> let the user use their favorite editor (Notepad, Wordpad, Word, etc...)
> for those secondary notes.

> But, it really depends on what you want to store for each day.  If it is
> going to be just one large memo field, then just the file (as suggested by
> others) might be the way to go.  If you have several bits of info, in
> addition to the users own memo, then Random Access might work well....

> Exactly what do you plan to store for each day?

> LFS

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:39:01 GMT

1. Adding a Form to a VB Add-In at Run time

2. Adding forms with code at run time

3. Adding controls to a form at run-time

4. Adding a form (or any object) at run time

5. Adding Command Controls to Dimensioned Forms at Run Time

6. Add controls to a form at run-time

7. Adding controls on a form at run-time

8. Adding controls to a form at run-time

9. Adding (loading) a Form at Run-Time ?

10. Adding controls to a form at run time

11. Adding controls to a form at run time

12. Adding objects to a form/frame at run time