Making exe will crash VB6 IDE
Author Message
 Making exe will crash VB6 IDE

Well. Actually, this is a repost of my question in the following link.
I repost her to regenerate the attention.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

The question is
2) The project is modified from another project, say "ProjectA". What
i did was renaming "ProjectA"'s vbp file, project name and title to
"ProjectB". After i finished modifying the codes, i could only make
the exe file with the name of "ProjectA.exe" (default in the IDE). The
IDE would crash if i made "ProjectB.exe". Any idea?

Hope someone will give some suggestions to let me learn from this.

Thanks.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 02:13:10 GMT
 Making exe will crash VB6 IDE

Quote:

>Hope someone will give some suggestions to let me learn from this.

>Thanks.

Well, no idea why that would crash the IDE, but the VBP name has little to do
with the output.

If you open a VBP file in notepad, you'll see something like:
'=====
Type=Exe
Form=Form1.frm
Reference=*\G{00020430-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}#2.0#0#C:\WINDOWS\system32\
STDOLE2.TLB#OLE Automation
IconForm="Form1"
Startup="Form1"
ExeName32="ProjectA.exe"
Command32=""
Name="Project1"
...followed by a bunch of details
'=====
That 'ExeName32' entry is the last name you used when you compiled, so simply
renaming the VBP file won't do much.
The 'Name' entry will be the applications internal name, which still has
little to do with the VBP file's name.

To create a copy of a project:

copy the entire folder (including subfolders, if any) to another location
open the vbp in notepad, or use the IDE to change it's Name property
(project/<your project> properties menu)
When it's time to compile, just enter a different name in the file dialog...
or, use Notepad to set that ExeName32 entry in advance.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 03:26:35 GMT
 Making exe will crash VB6 IDE
Do you have VB SP6 installed?

--
Randem Systems, Inc.
Makers of InnoScript for Inno Setup.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 05:41:12 GMT
 Making exe will crash VB6 IDE
Lots of things can crash the IDE.
  1) did you recently install something that turned off virtual RAM?  turn
it back on.
  2) add-ins?  turn off all add-ins and try again
  3) bad RAM
I had both (1) and (2) do it to me.  Hair tearing.

Probably not related but we should compile a list.

Quote:

> Well. Actually, this is a repost of my question in the following link.
> I repost her to regenerate the attention.

> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion...

> The question is
> 2) The project is modified from another project, say "ProjectA". What
> i did was renaming "ProjectA"'s vbp file, project name and title to
> "ProjectB". After i finished modifying the codes, i could only make
> the exe file with the name of "ProjectA.exe" (default in the IDE). The
> IDE would crash if i made "ProjectB.exe". Any idea?

> Hope someone will give some suggestions to let me learn from this.

> Thanks.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:16:01 GMT
 Making exe will crash VB6 IDE
Thank you, everyone.

My machine has VB6 SP6 installed.
I opened the vbp file in notepad and found that the "EXE" was still
the old project's exe's name. I changed the "EXE" to the new project's
name's exe and then, the IDE still crashed once i made the exe.

Then, i turned off all add-ins and retried with both the old project's
and new project's exe name. BINGO!!! it worked after i tried 4 or 5
times...

Quote:
> Lots of things can crash the IDE.
> ? 1) did you recently install something that turned off virtual RAM? ?turn
> it back on.
> ? 2) add-ins? ?turn off all add-ins and try again
> ? 3) bad RAM
> I had both (1) and (2) do it to me. ?Hair tearing.

> Probably not related but we should compile a list.

> > Well. Actually, this is a repost of my question in the following link.
> > I repost her to regenerate the attention.

> >http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion...

> > The question is
> > 2) The project is modified from another project, say "ProjectA". What
> > i did was renaming "ProjectA"'s vbp file, project name and title to
> > "ProjectB". After i finished modifying the codes, i could only make
> > the exe file with the name of "ProjectA.exe" (default in the IDE). The
> > IDE would crash if i made "ProjectB.exe". Any idea?

> > Hope someone will give some suggestions to let me learn from this.

> > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:05:27 GMT
 Making exe will crash VB6 IDE
Great! In my experience in an IDE crash was to always make sure SP6 was
installed then disable add-in's. It always was the add-ins causing the
problem on a fully updated system.

--
Randem Systems, Inc.
Makers of InnoScript for Inno Setup.
It creates the script for you from a vbp, vbg, vbproj or setup.lst file.
http://www.innoscript.com/innoscript.html

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:29:39 GMT

1. VB6 EXE crash, with IDE OK. Event sink in VM60.dll

2. GPF in Krnl386.exe crashes VB5 IDE on unload of MDI child form

3. krnl386.exe GPF crashes VB5 IDE on MDI child unload

4. VB 5.0 my program work in IDE but the .exe crash

5. Program runs in IDE well, but EXE crashes

6. VB using COM crashed in IDE, exe is fine

7. COM callbacks, fine in IDE, crash in EXE

8. VB6 crashes on exit of IDE

9. VB6 IDE Crashes When Using Internet Functions?

10. VB6 IDE BUG, Crash with Double Click

11. auto-list members crashes VB6 ide

12. VB6 SP5 IDE Crash