Windows hook and control hook
Author Message
 Windows hook and control hook

Hello,
             I am a little puzzled here.
I know, when hooking up to Windows, the application has to unhook before
termination.
My code does it as below:
'Hook
lpPrevWndProc = SetWindowLong(gHwnd, GWL_WNDPROC, AddressOf WindowProc)
'UnHook
SetWindowLong(gHwnd, GWL_WNDPROC, lpPrevWndProc)

What about when hooking to the control?
 I use this code to align caption on the command button :
==================
    oldStyle = GetWindowLong(Command1.hwnd, GWL_STYLE)
    oldStyle = oldStyle And (Not BS_ALLSTYLES)
    rtn = SetWindowLong(Command1.hwnd, GWL_STYLE, newStyle Or oldStyle)
====================
Should I provide the code to unhook from the control or it is not necessary?
If yes, when should I do that:
as soon as the hook is executed or on the app termination?
Would-be this just enough:
SetWindowLong(Command1.hwnd, GWL_STYLE, rtn)
?
Thanks,
Claire

Fri, 13 Jul 2012 05:51:20 GMT
 Windows hook and control hook
Hi Claire,

Quote:
> lpPrevWndProc = SetWindowLong(gHwnd, GWL_WNDPROC, AddressOf WindowProc)

it's no hooking, but subclassing. That's a difference. And for subclassing,
when a window/control will no more exist (after closing your program) there
is no need to restore the original procedure before. But you can do it for
"clean" programming...

Juergen.

Fri, 13 Jul 2012 06:19:33 GMT

1. Mhcallback - Keyboard hook and Mouse hook , HOW!

2. Windows Keyboard Hook in .NET

3. Windows Hooks

4. VB5: Hooking Windows Messages / minimized program

5. How to hook windows in other apps ?

6. using windows HOOKS (system-wide)

7. Hook into Windows System Message Queue?

8. Hooking to the Windows Explorer...

9. Windows Hooks

10. why must hooked windows be released?

11. Windows Hooks

12. Windows hook