Text box number of characters VB6
Author Message
 Text box number of characters VB6

Bill,

Australia is much larger then the Netherlands.

I hope you don't mind that I feel me perfectly well here.

:-)

Cor

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 22:10:51 GMT
 Text box number of characters VB6

Quote:
>> Who cares, it's bad practice which if used where it's probably OK will be
>> used where it's not OK.
>> If it's OK to allow implicit type conversion which always seem to work,
>> then it's equally OK to omit default properties because that always seems
>> to work - please try to be consistent.

> I suggest you look at the differences: in particular the differences
> between widening conversions and narrowing.
> A widening conversion is guaranteed to work.  The only problems I have
> ever seen it cause is in code readability as the type may not be clear.
> Default properties on the other hand can cause a whole heap of code
> maintenance issues on top of any readability issues.

> Narrowing conversions are of course a different matter. They should be
> handled explicitly because there is the chance they fail.

I am well aware of the difference between for example converting a long to
an integer and converting an integer into a long,
In one case it will always work but in the other there could be a problem.
My point is that if you encourage non-expert users to omit the explicit type
conversion in some cases they are likey to leave it out where it is needed,
however if you encourage them to always be explicit then they will always
get it correct. There is no problem with specifying the conversion function
where the type is widening and it makes the code far clearer to read, so
omittion while technically acceptable is a sloppy practice especially when
teaching.

Dave O.

Sat, 13 Aug 2011 00:00:45 GMT
 Text box number of characters VB6

Quote:

> I hope you don't mind that I feel me perfectly well here.

Cor, why don't you go feel yourself somewhere else, eh?  ;-)
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Sat, 13 Aug 2011 03:23:19 GMT