VB6 IDE and Windows 7
Author Message
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7

Hello -

I read:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
Say: "Yes*, Extended support until April 2008, Custom Support after April
2008"

I try to install Visual Studio 6 on Windows 7. The setup can not install VM
(first step). An can not continue.

How to install IDE of VB6 in Windows 7 ?

--
Juan Marcial
Ingeniero de Software

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:56:01 GMT
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7

Quote:

> Hello -

> I read:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx
> Say: "Yes*, Extended support until April 2008, Custom Support after April
> 2008"

> I try to install Visual Studio 6 on Windows 7. The setup can not install VM
> (first step). An can not continue.

> How to install IDE of VB6 in Windows 7 ?

Are you logged in as an Administrator, and did you right-click the setup
program and select "Run As Administrator"?

If not, then you will probably have the same problems as those trying to
install on Vista.

I have not yet tried installing on Vista or Windows 7, but from what
I've read it's possible - using the above procedure.

HTH

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:05:16 GMT
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7

Quote:

> I try to install Visual Studio 6 on Windows 7. The setup can not install
> VM
> (first step). An can not continue.

> How to install IDE of VB6 in Windows 7 ?

You CAN do it.  I have VB6 running on Win7 right now. I installed it a
couple weeks ago on the Win7 RTM. I recall encountering this same problem.
I *think* what I did was run VB6's Setup in WinXP-compatibility mode.

--
Mike

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 07:27:25 GMT
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7
I can't even get Win7 to install in a VM.  Well, that's not entirely true, I
can get it installed, but when attempting to install the VM Additions, I get
the BSOD after the Win7 logo and it all goes to hell.

--
2025
If you do not believe in time travel,

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43606237254

| > I try to install Visual Studio 6 on Windows 7. The setup can not install
| > VM
| > (first step). An can not continue.
| >
| > How to install IDE of VB6 in Windows 7 ?
|

| You CAN do it.  I have VB6 running on Win7 right now. I installed it a
| couple weeks ago on the Win7 RTM. I recall encountering this same problem.
| I *think* what I did was run VB6's Setup in WinXP-compatibility mode.
|
| --
| Mike

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 07:38:28 GMT
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7
Hello

I follow the suggestion of Jason. Yes. Install fine. But the SP5 request
MDAC 2.5. I download it, then i run SP5 and request MDAC 2.5 another time...
I can not install SP5 or 6 ... Whats happen here?

(Thanks)
--
Juan Marcial
Ingeniero de Software

Quote:

> Hello -

> I read:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx
> Say: "Yes*, Extended support until April 2008, Custom Support after April
> 2008"

> I try to install Visual Studio 6 on Windows 7. The setup can not install VM
> (first step). An can not continue.

> How to install IDE of VB6 in Windows 7 ?

> --
> Juan Marcial
> Ingeniero de Software

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:01:02 GMT
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7

Quote:
> I can't even get Win7 to install in a VM.  Well, that's not entirely true,
> can get it installed, but when attempting to install the VM Additions, I
> get
> the BSOD after the Win7 logo and it all goes to hell.

I haven't installed Win7 in a VM and so can't offer any advice.  I went
ahead and installed Win7 on my home computer (dual boot with WinXP).

You might have to wait to install VM Additions until SP2 for Virtual PC
2007.  That is assuming MS updates VPC2007 to officially support Win7 as a
guest OS, which is probably questionable.  I tried Windows Virtual PC and
didn't care for it much. Fortunately, VPC2007 works fine on Win7, although
not officially supported as a host OS.

--
Mike

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:01:05 GMT
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7

Quote:
> Hello

> I follow the suggestion of Jason. Yes. Install fine. But the SP5 request
> MDAC 2.5. I download it, then i run SP5 and request MDAC 2.5 another
> time...
> I can not install SP5 or 6 ... Whats happen here?

SP5 is hard-coded to check for MDAC 2.5 and so won't install on Vista or
Win7.  SP6 should install fine.

--
Mike

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:22:05 GMT
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7

Quote:

> I can't even get Win7 to install in a VM.  Well, that's not entirely true, I
> can get it installed, but when attempting to install the VM Additions, I get
> the BSOD after the Win7 logo and it all goes to hell.

Do you have VPC2007/SP1?  I think that's the min.
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:18:24 GMT
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7

Quote:

>> Hello

>> I follow the suggestion of Jason. Yes. Install fine. But the SP5 request
>> MDAC 2.5. I download it, then i run SP5 and request MDAC 2.5 another
>> time...
>> I can not install SP5 or 6 ... Whats happen here?

>SP5 is hard-coded to check for MDAC 2.5 and so won't install on Vista or
>Win7.  SP6 should install fine.

I confirm: SP5 does not install but SP6 will with no problems.

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:31:35 GMT
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7
Yeah, didn't make a difference.

--
2025
If you do not believe in time travel,
your beliefs are about to be tempered.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43606237254

| > I can't even get Win7 to install in a VM.  Well, that's not entirely
true, I
| > can get it installed, but when attempting to install the VM Additions, I
get
| > the BSOD after the Win7 logo and it all goes to hell.
|
| Do you have VPC2007/SP1?  I think that's the min.
| --
| .NET: It's About Trust!
| http://vfred.mvps.org

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:33:02 GMT
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7
I found amazing solution here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopme...

I so tired. Good night

--
Juan Marcial
Ingeniero de Software

Quote:

> > Hello

> > I follow the suggestion of Jason. Yes. Install fine. But the SP5 request
> > MDAC 2.5. I download it, then i run SP5 and request MDAC 2.5 another
> > time...
> > I can not install SP5 or 6 ... Whats happen here?

> SP5 is hard-coded to check for MDAC 2.5 and so won't install on Vista or
> Win7.  SP6 should install fine.

> --
> Mike

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:39:02 GMT
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7
Hi Juan,

By VM I presume you mean the Java runtime required by Visual Studio 6.
There's two approaches for this: one is if you have a MSDN subscription get
the revised VS 6 installer; the other is to simply place a file that looks
like the java runtime. See this old post of mine:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bill/archive/2004/07/14/10069.aspx

I have VB6 installed on Windows 7 and it runs fine, and also have Windows 7
Virtual PC installations, and also runs fine.

Quote:
> Hello -

> I read:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx
> Say: "Yes*, Extended support until April 2008, Custom Support after April
> 2008"

> I try to install Visual Studio 6 on Windows 7. The setup can not install
> VM
> (first step). An can not continue.

> How to install IDE of VB6 in Windows 7 ?

> --
> Juan Marcial
> Ingeniero de Software

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:15:00 GMT
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7
Hello,

here is how to do it
1. run VS6 setup, it will then ask you to install MS Java.
2. open spy++ (or alternative tool like win-inspector spy or elitespy) and
get the handle of the 'Next' button.
3. now uncheck install JavaVM and using spy++ enable the Next button and
processed with the setup

you will get compatibility warning, ignore them and continue installing, and
then install service pack.

Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:00:25 GMT
 VB6 IDE and Windows 7
Legacy application maintenance is a real pain in the neck, but a necessary
evil in order support our customers who took a chance on purchasing our
software in the first place.

As such, I ran into some roadblocks during installation of of VB6 on Windows
7.  I didn't want to keep an XP machine around, just to make bug fixes, etc.

Pointed out in other posts, there are a few problems with MDAC installation
for VB6.  In an effort to help out other folks, I've outlined a process that
works for me on Windows 7, both 64-bit and 32-bit.

The process can be found at:

http://www.fortypoundhead.com/showcontent.asp?artid=20502

Quote:

> Hello -

> I read:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx
> Say: "Yes*, Extended support until April 2008, Custom Support after April
> 2008"

> I try to install Visual Studio 6 on Windows 7. The setup can not install VM
> (first step). An can not continue.

> How to install IDE of VB6 in Windows 7 ?

> --
> Juan Marcial
> Ingeniero de Software

Fri, 04 May 2012 00:25:01 GMT

1. What do I need again to run VB6 IDE under Windows 7?

2. VB6 class module turns into regular module using VB6 IDE

3. IDE windows

4. IDE Windows - pls help...

5. IDE Windows - Pls help...

6. Close all windows in IDE?

7. Drag Combo Box on Windows Form..ide locks up

8. Maximize IDE windows

9. IDE Windows ovelapping, How to lock into place?

10. Frustrating windows in VB IDE

11. Docking IDE Windows

12. IDE Crashes on Exit in Windows XP