16-bit programs on Windows Server 2003
Author Message
 16-bit programs on Windows Server 2003

hi all.

i just spent 40 minutes trying to post this question, pressed 'Post', only
to be told the 'Server is too busy to process your request' and then i lost
the whole message. nice.  this time I'll try and be brief.

i am trying to run a 16-bit Windows program that was written in VB4
initially for the Windows 3.1 platform.  this program runs fine on every
Windows OS up to, and including, Windows XP.  on Windows Server 2003 (R2 w/
SP2) i have run into a few difficulties in that some of the visual elements
of the forms are missing (similar to this guys post -
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).
 Text boxes used for login and password change appear / disappear as you tab
around the login screen and the text (indicating what the boxes are for) is
non-existent.  As you can imagine, this makes it difficult for a user who has
never used the program before.

i have monitored the program - 'ntvdm.exe' (as it is 16-bit) - with Process
Explorer on both XP and 2003 and the resources loaded essentially look
identical.  the main open file handles (visible on both) are; apiguide.dll,
comdlg16.ocx, gauge16.ocx, oc25.dll, tabctl16.ocx, vb40016.dll, lzexpand.dll,
ver.dll, krnl386.exe, user.exe and winsock.dll.  an open file handle to
'ega.cpi' is only visible on XP, but the hardware platforms are different.
on the 'View DLLs' page, the files listed seem for the most part identical
albeit the file versions are different, ie 2003 lists many of its versions as
5.2.3790... and XP 5.1.2600.

perhaps this program just isn't going to work, but i would love to hear some
fresh ideas as the depth of investigation required is now perhaps beyond my
skill-set.

any (and all) suggstions are most welcome.

steve t.

Sun, 27 Feb 2011 05:40:00 GMT
 16-bit programs on Windows Server 2003
On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:40:00 -0700, steve t.

Quote:

>i have monitored the program - 'ntvdm.exe' (as it is 16-bit) - with Process
>Explorer on both XP and 2003 and the resources loaded essentially look
>identical.  the main open file handles (visible on both) are; apiguide.dll,
>comdlg16.ocx, gauge16.ocx, oc25.dll, tabctl16.ocx, vb40016.dll, lzexpand.dll,
>ver.dll, krnl386.exe, user.exe and winsock.dll.  an open file handle to
>'ega.cpi' is only visible on XP, but the hardware platforms are different.
>on the 'View DLLs' page, the files listed seem for the most part identical
>albeit the file versions are different, ie 2003 lists many of its versions as
>5.2.3790... and XP 5.1.2600.

I recently had an issue with a Foxpro application on XP. One of the
updates (I suspect SP3) broke something. All I could find were a few
articles describing how to set processor affinity for ntvdm, but sadly
it didn't work for me. It might help you though ...

http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/2005/01/troubleshooting-ms-dos-appli...

In the meantime, I'll be watching this thread for anything that might
help my situation. :)

        J.
    Jeremiah D. Seitz
    Omega Techware
    http://www.omegatechware.net

Sun, 27 Feb 2011 11:26:47 GMT
 16-bit programs on Windows Server 2003
thanks for the reply, jeremy.

i had previously used imagecfe.exe on ntvdm.exe to set the processor
affinity, albiet to 2 processors - not 1.  this was to try and resolve yet
another problem with this application - 'ntvdm has encountered a hard error'.
 i haven't yet tried to set it to use just processor 0.  this is an 8 core
terminal server that i'm trying to run on, so i might give that a try.

i, too, have tried every suggestion in all the 'troubleshooting ms-dos
applications' articles...and then some.  even if it just solves the 'hard
error' messages it would be welcome.  i'm not convinced it will solve the
issues with missng visual elements, though.  i'll be sure to let you know how
it goes ;-)

steve t.

Quote:

> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:40:00 -0700, steve t.

> >i have monitored the program - 'ntvdm.exe' (as it is 16-bit) - with Process
> >Explorer on both XP and 2003 and the resources loaded essentially look
> >identical.  the main open file handles (visible on both) are; apiguide.dll,
> >comdlg16.ocx, gauge16.ocx, oc25.dll, tabctl16.ocx, vb40016.dll, lzexpand.dll,
> >ver.dll, krnl386.exe, user.exe and winsock.dll.  an open file handle to
> >'ega.cpi' is only visible on XP, but the hardware platforms are different.
> >on the 'View DLLs' page, the files listed seem for the most part identical
> >albeit the file versions are different, ie 2003 lists many of its versions as
> >5.2.3790... and XP 5.1.2600.

> I recently had an issue with a Foxpro application on XP. One of the
> updates (I suspect SP3) broke something. All I could find were a few
> articles describing how to set processor affinity for ntvdm, but sadly
> it didn't work for me. It might help you though ...

> http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/2005/01/troubleshooting-ms-dos-appli...

> In the meantime, I'll be watching this thread for anything that might
> help my situation. :)

>    J.
>     Jeremiah D. Seitz
>     Omega Techware
>     http://www.omegatechware.net

Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:51:01 GMT
 16-bit programs on Windows Server 2003
May not help but since it's a visual thing, have you tried turning off the
hardware acceleration for the graphics card?

Steve

Quote:
> thanks for the reply, jeremy.

> i had previously used imagecfe.exe on ntvdm.exe to set the processor
> affinity, albiet to 2 processors - not 1.  this was to try and resolve yet
> another problem with this application - 'ntvdm has encountered a hard
> error'.
> i haven't yet tried to set it to use just processor 0.  this is an 8 core
> terminal server that i'm trying to run on, so i might give that a try.

> i, too, have tried every suggestion in all the 'troubleshooting ms-dos
> applications' articles...and then some.  even if it just solves the 'hard
> error' messages it would be welcome.  i'm not convinced it will solve the
> issues with missng visual elements, though.  i'll be sure to let you know
> how
> it goes ;-)

> steve t.

>> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:40:00 -0700, steve t.

>> >i have monitored the program - 'ntvdm.exe' (as it is 16-bit) - with
>> >Process
>> >Explorer on both XP and 2003 and the resources loaded essentially look
>> >identical.  the main open file handles (visible on both) are;
>> >apiguide.dll,
>> >comdlg16.ocx, gauge16.ocx, oc25.dll, tabctl16.ocx, vb40016.dll,
>> >lzexpand.dll,
>> >ver.dll, krnl386.exe, user.exe and winsock.dll.  an open file handle to
>> >'ega.cpi' is only visible on XP, but the hardware platforms are
>> >different.
>> >on the 'View DLLs' page, the files listed seem for the most part
>> >identical
>> >albeit the file versions are different, ie 2003 lists many of its
>> >versions as
>> >5.2.3790... and XP 5.1.2600.

>> I recently had an issue with a Foxpro application on XP. One of the
>> updates (I suspect SP3) broke something. All I could find were a few
>> articles describing how to set processor affinity for ntvdm, but sadly
>> it didn't work for me. It might help you though ...

>> http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/2005/01/troubleshooting-ms-dos-appli...

>> In the meantime, I'll be watching this thread for anything that might
>> help my situation. :)

>> J.
>>     Jeremiah D. Seitz
>>     Omega Techware
>>     http://www.omegatechware.net

Sun, 27 Feb 2011 22:13:01 GMT
 16-bit programs on Windows Server 2003
actually, no.  i haven't.  i'll give it a try and report back.  thanks, steve.
Quote:

> May not help but since it's a visual thing, have you tried turning off the
> hardware acceleration for the graphics card?

> Steve

> > thanks for the reply, jeremy.

> > i had previously used imagecfe.exe on ntvdm.exe to set the processor
> > affinity, albiet to 2 processors - not 1.  this was to try and resolve yet
> > another problem with this application - 'ntvdm has encountered a hard
> > error'.
> > i haven't yet tried to set it to use just processor 0.  this is an 8 core
> > terminal server that i'm trying to run on, so i might give that a try.

> > i, too, have tried every suggestion in all the 'troubleshooting ms-dos
> > applications' articles...and then some.  even if it just solves the 'hard
> > error' messages it would be welcome.  i'm not convinced it will solve the
> > issues with missng visual elements, though.  i'll be sure to let you know
> > how
> > it goes ;-)

> > steve t.

> >> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:40:00 -0700, steve t.

> >> I recently had an issue with a Foxpro application on XP. One of the
> >> updates (I suspect SP3) broke something. All I could find were a few
> >> articles describing how to set processor affinity for ntvdm, but sadly
> >> it didn't work for me. It might help you though ...

> >> http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/2005/01/troubleshooting-ms-dos-appli...

> >> In the meantime, I'll be watching this thread for anything that might
> >> help my situation. :)

> >> J.
> >>     Jeremiah D. Seitz
> >>     Omega Techware
> >>     http://www.omegatechware.net

Sun, 27 Feb 2011 22:22:01 GMT
 16-bit programs on Windows Server 2003

Quote:
> thanks for the reply, jeremy.

> i had previously used imagecfe.exe on ntvdm.exe to set the processor
> affinity, albiet to 2 processors - not 1.  this was to try and resolve yet
> another problem with this application - 'ntvdm has encountered a hard
error'.
>  i haven't yet tried to set it to use just processor 0.  this is an 8 core
> terminal server that i'm trying to run on, so i might give that a try.

> i, too, have tried every suggestion in all the 'troubleshooting ms-dos
> applications' articles...and then some.  even if it just solves the 'hard
> error' messages it would be welcome.  i'm not convinced it will solve the
> issues with missng visual elements, though.  i'll be sure to let you know
how
> it goes ;-)

Something of possible use: ntvdm is the active participant in Windows 16-bit
subsystem. It produces a "Hard Error" when it detects any attempt by a
16-bit App to write to hardware or memory, OR if any other tool believes it
is attempting to do so. (Anti-Virus utilities are a common complainer.
Norton the usual suspect.)

Any errors reported by the ntvdm are symptomatic. You always need to attach
WinDbg (or other just-in-time de{*filter*}) to capture the call stack to
determine the actual source of the error. You can also use WinDbg to
analylize the core. This will pinpoint the exact application call, or tool,
that is causing the error. You can then either rework the app if it is
something inherent to the box or O/S, or contact the vendor if a 3rd party
tool.

-ralph

Mon, 28 Feb 2011 01:02:12 GMT

1. 16-bit VB programs into 32-bit programs

2. Installing 16 bit VB program in Network Windows environment

3. Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003

4. how to speed up 16 bit program in 32 bit GDI

5. 16-bit Program Termination under 32-bit Systems

6. Mixing 32 bit and 16 bit OLE servers

7. 32 Bit Program to call 16 Bit DLL

8. Is there any way to detect if Win32/16 with a 16-bit program

9. Problems with 16 bit Crystal Info on Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups)

10. Launching and Monitoring a 16-bit Windows app from VB5 application running on Windows NT 4.0

11. How to detect 16-bit Windows-based application running under Windows NT