SAPI voice recognition with VB6: Hoarse voice?
Author Message
 SAPI voice recognition with VB6: Hoarse voice?

Has anyone found their voice becoming hoarse when surrounded by
computers?

I am now experimenting with SAPI and VB6 and it's great fun. But I
have always had a problem with my voice in that after a few hours
sitting in front of a CRT (with another CRT behind me also running on
the second PC) it gets a little hoarse and squeaky.

Are the modern TFT/LCD flat-screen monitors better for this? I.e.
don't bombard me and the room with {*filter*} ions? If I'm away from the
computer for a few hours my voice returns to normal. It just seems
very susceptible to the dry, warm atmosphere in this very small
computer room. Maybe I should use a humidifier?

MM

Fri, 22 Oct 2010 00:46:31 GMT
 SAPI voice recognition with VB6: Hoarse voice?

Quote:
> Has anyone found their voice becoming hoarse when
> surrounded by computers? I am now experimenting with
> SAPI and VB6 and it's great fun. But I have always had
> a problem with my voice in that after a few hours sitting
> in front of a CRT

Ignoring the obvious suggestion that perhaps talking to your computer for a
few hours is what is giving you a sore throat (!) have you considered
building yourself a computer with passive cooling for everything, including
the processor and the graphics card and the power supply. I've never
actually built such a thing myself, but I'm sure it is possible with the
components available today.

Mike

Fri, 22 Oct 2010 01:27:30 GMT
 SAPI voice recognition with VB6: Hoarse voice?

Quote:
> Has anyone found their voice becoming hoarse when surrounded by
> computers?

   I've never noticed hoarseness, but I do notice
that I have a tendency to lean forward when absorbed,
resulting in lock-up muscle tension just below the
shoulder blades, which prevents me taking in a full breath.
That could certainly make your voice less resonant.
Quote:
> I am now experimenting with SAPI and VB6 and it's great fun. But I
> have always had a problem with my voice in that after a few hours
> sitting in front of a CRT (with another CRT behind me also running on
> the second PC) it gets a little hoarse and squeaky.

> Are the modern TFT/LCD flat-screen monitors better for this? I.e.
> don't bombard me and the room with {*filter*} ions? If I'm away from the
> computer for a few hours my voice returns to normal. It just seems
> very susceptible to the dry, warm atmosphere in this very small
> computer room. Maybe I should use a humidifier?

> MM

Fri, 22 Oct 2010 05:01:23 GMT
 SAPI voice recognition with VB6: Hoarse voice?

Quote:
> Has anyone found their voice becoming hoarse when surrounded by
> computers?

> I am now experimenting with SAPI and VB6 and it's great fun. But I
> have always had a problem with my voice in that after a few hours
> sitting in front of a CRT (with another CRT behind me also running on
> the second PC) it gets a little hoarse and squeaky.

> Are the modern TFT/LCD flat-screen monitors better for this? I.e.
> don't bombard me and the room with {*filter*} ions? If I'm away from the
> computer for a few hours my voice returns to normal. It just seems
> very susceptible to the dry, warm atmosphere in this very small
> computer room. Maybe I should use a humidifier?

Even before I read this last line, I was going to suggest that maybe it
was the heat and resulting dryness from all the hardware around you, and
suggest a humidifier.

newsgroups if possible).

Fri, 22 Oct 2010 21:26:11 GMT
 SAPI voice recognition with VB6: Hoarse voice?
On Mon, 5 May 2008 09:26:11 -0400, David Kerber

Quote:

>> Has anyone found their voice becoming hoarse when surrounded by
>> computers?

>> I am now experimenting with SAPI and VB6 and it's great fun. But I
>> have always had a problem with my voice in that after a few hours
>> sitting in front of a CRT (with another CRT behind me also running on
>> the second PC) it gets a little hoarse and squeaky.

>> Are the modern TFT/LCD flat-screen monitors better for this? I.e.
>> don't bombard me and the room with {*filter*} ions? If I'm away from the
>> computer for a few hours my voice returns to normal. It just seems
>> very susceptible to the dry, warm atmosphere in this very small
>> computer room. Maybe I should use a humidifier?

>Even before I read this last line, I was going to suggest that maybe it
>was the heat and resulting dryness from all the hardware around you, and
>suggest a humidifier.

What do you think about replacing the (now) old-fashioned CRT
monitors? (Still good, but hunky, chunky, and hot!!)

MM

Sat, 23 Oct 2010 01:18:50 GMT
 SAPI voice recognition with VB6: Hoarse voice?

Quote:
> On Mon, 5 May 2008 09:26:11 -0400, David Kerber

> >> Has anyone found their voice becoming hoarse when surrounded by
> >> computers?

> >> I am now experimenting with SAPI and VB6 and it's great fun. But I
> >> have always had a problem with my voice in that after a few hours
> >> sitting in front of a CRT (with another CRT behind me also running on
> >> the second PC) it gets a little hoarse and squeaky.

> >> Are the modern TFT/LCD flat-screen monitors better for this? I.e.
> >> don't bombard me and the room with {*filter*} ions? If I'm away from the
> >> computer for a few hours my voice returns to normal. It just seems
> >> very susceptible to the dry, warm atmosphere in this very small
> >> computer room. Maybe I should use a humidifier?

> >Even before I read this last line, I was going to suggest that maybe it
> >was the heat and resulting dryness from all the hardware around you, and
> >suggest a humidifier.

> What do you think about replacing the (now) old-fashioned CRT
> monitors? (Still good, but hunky, chunky, and hot!!)

If they're running all day, an LCD monitor would likely pay for itself
pretty fast in reduced electricity use from both the monitor itslef, and
in reduced air conditioning load.  That's setting aside the dryness
issues...

newsgroups if possible).

Sat, 23 Oct 2010 01:59:05 GMT

1. SAPI Voices

2. How to utilize voice recognition to go to record

3. Voice Recognition

4. voice recognition

5. Computer Generated Speech and Voice Recognition

6. Text to Speech / Voice Recognition software wanted

7. Voice recognition in VB 5

8. Voice-Recognition-Program

9. Voice Recognition

10. voice recognition