Tooltips On Menus 
Author Message
 Tooltips On Menus

Is there a way to get tooltips on menus?
VB6SP6


Sat, 11 Feb 2012 00:36:01 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus


Quote:
> Is there a way to get tooltips on menus?

Yuck.  I hope not.

The typical design for menu "tips" is to have a status bar on your form and
provide a brief description of each menu command in the status bar as the
user moves the mouse over each command.  Open up WordPad (just to pick
something you should have) to see an example.

Downside is that to do this right is a little involved and requires
subclassing.

--
Mike



Sat, 11 Feb 2012 00:51:54 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus

Quote:
> Is there a way to get tooltips on menus?

Yes, but like MikeD suggested it's not a good idea. Plus, the tooltip would
interfere with the Esc key and any keyboard shortcuts. You can use the Tag
property and display some help in a status bar. However, I am not seeing any
event that indicates that the user is moving through menu items. You will
have to subclass the form to see WM_MENUSELECT to tell which menu item is
highlighted. Despite this message name, it's sent when the menu is
highlighted, not when the user clicks the item. Another message is sent when
the user clicks on an item, which is WM_COMMAND.


Sat, 11 Feb 2012 02:30:02 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus

Quote:
> Is there a way to get tooltips on menus?

What application have you used recently that did this?


Sat, 11 Feb 2012 03:15:22 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus

Quote:


>> Is there a way to get tooltips on menus?

> What application have you used recently that did this?

Internet Explorer....and Windows Explorer.

(I don't use IE though, but it does it as well.)



Sat, 11 Feb 2012 06:13:52 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus

Quote:



>> Is there a way to get tooltips on menus?

>Yes, but like MikeD suggested it's not a good idea. Plus, the tooltip would
>interfere with the Esc key and any keyboard shortcuts.

Why would a tooltip ever interfere with the keyboard?

--
--------- Scott Seligman <scott at <firstname> and michelle dot net> ---------
   Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
   temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
   -- Benjamin Franklin



Sat, 11 Feb 2012 07:11:18 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus
The Windows Start Menu itself does this, and I'm sure there are other MS
apps that do as well.

The tooltips also do *not* interfere with use of the Esc key to close the
menu - at least not in anything I've seen them in.

The "description in status bar" nonsense is a retro design cue from Windows
95.  It's not best practice because it distracts users (text flashes to
something new every time you move the mouse to a new menu item) and provides
information about as far away from the point of focus (i.e. the item the
mouse is hovering over) as possible.  Most users today expect and accept
that if they hover the mouse over a button or option, they may get
additional information in the form of popup text.

As to the OP's question though, Classic VB has no native way to do it so
you're stuck with subclassing and making API calls or using a 3rd party
modern menu-strip control that supports it.


Quote:


>> Is there a way to get tooltips on menus?

> What application have you used recently that did this?



Sat, 11 Feb 2012 09:22:32 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus


Quote:




>>> Is there a way to get tooltips on menus?

>> What application have you used recently that did this?

> Internet Explorer....and Windows Explorer.

> (I don't use IE though, but it does it as well.)

I've never seen this in either of those. They both provide the tip in a
status bar.

--
Mike



Sat, 11 Feb 2012 21:22:46 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus


Quote:
> The Windows Start Menu itself does this, and I'm sure there are other MS
> apps that do as well.

I would not consider the Start Menu a conventional menu, especially in later
versions of Windows.

Quote:

> The "description in status bar" nonsense is a retro design cue from
> Windows 95.

 I don't buy that it's nonsense.   First, I can remember it being used way
back in the Win3.x days. Second, it's *still* used in *tons* of apps,
including IE8, Windows Explorer (even as of Vista), Outlook  Express,
Windows Mail (Vista's version of OE), etc. I've NEVER seen an app that has
tooltips in menus.

--
Mike



Sat, 11 Feb 2012 21:34:51 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus

Quote:
>>> Is there a way to get tooltips on menus?

>> What application have you used recently that did this?

> Internet Explorer....and Windows Explorer.

> (I don't use IE though, but it does it as well.)

Only in the Favorites menu, and I consider it non-standard.


Sat, 11 Feb 2012 21:36:59 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus

Quote:







>>>> Is there a way to get tooltips on menus?

>>> What application have you used recently that did this?

>> Internet Explorer....and Windows Explorer.

>> (I don't use IE though, but it does it as well.)

> I've never seen this in either of those. They both provide the tip in a
> status bar.

On the 'Favorite' menu.


Sun, 12 Feb 2012 00:30:11 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus

Quote:


>>>> Is there a way to get tooltips on menus?

>>> What application have you used recently that did this?

>> Internet Explorer....and Windows Explorer.

>> (I don't use IE though, but it does it as well.)

> Only in the Favorites menu, and I consider it non-standard.

The Start Menu does as well. I've got a s/c to Explorer on the start menu
in XP. When I hover over it, it says....."Displays the files and folders on
your computer."

Even link in the actual start menu, and it has done it since W95, so it IS
standard.



Sun, 12 Feb 2012 00:34:16 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus


Quote:



>> The Windows Start Menu itself does this, and I'm sure there are other
>> MS apps that do as well.

> I would not consider the Start Menu a conventional menu, especially in
> later versions of Windows.

>> The "description in status bar" nonsense is a retro design cue from
>> Windows 95.

>  I don't buy that it's nonsense.   First, I can remember it being used
>  way
> back in the Win3.x days. Second, it's *still* used in *tons* of apps,
> including IE8, Windows Explorer (even as of Vista), Outlook  Express,
> Windows Mail (Vista's version of OE), etc. I've NEVER seen an app that
> has tooltips in menus.

You've never *noticed* in an app you use.

The 'Description is the status bar' is nonsense. In order to view it, you
need to move your head from the very top of the screen where the menu's
are, to the very bottom left....do that a few times while trying to
navigate a menu.



Sun, 12 Feb 2012 00:38:28 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus

Quote:
> The 'Description is the status bar' is nonsense. In order to view it, you
> need to move your head from the very top of the screen where the menu's
> are, to the very bottom left....do that a few times while trying to
> navigate a menu.

I don't know what kind of Godzilla-size monitor you have, but I just glance
with my eyes....


Sun, 12 Feb 2012 01:39:12 GMT  
 Tooltips On Menus


Quote:




>>>>> Is there a way to get tooltips on menus?

>>>> What application have you used recently that did this?

>>> Internet Explorer....and Windows Explorer.

>>> (I don't use IE though, but it does it as well.)

>> Only in the Favorites menu, and I consider it non-standard.

> The Start Menu does as well. I've got a s/c to Explorer on the start menu
> in XP. When I hover over it, it says....."Displays the files and folders
> on
> your computer."

> Even link in the actual start menu, and it has done it since W95, so it IS
> standard.

I have my systems all set to the "classic start menu" since I find that new
thing to be nearly unusable.  None of the start menu items on XP or Vista
show tooltips.  The tooltips on the Favorites menu in IE are annoying at
best.  Not all "standards" are worth copying.


Sun, 12 Feb 2012 01:45:43 GMT  
 
 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. "Tooltips" for menus

2. menus and sub-menus and sub-sub-menus

3. show a shortcut menu / popup menu / context menu

4. Multi-select Menu or Permanent Menu and MDI_CHILD Menu Handle

5. Form Tooltips

6. Trick : temporarily hide "tooltips"

7. Hiding Access and ToolTips

8. Tooltips for ACCESS 2.0 Forms????

9. Long ToolTips and ScreenUpdating

10. how to add tooltips to custom buttons on custom toolbar

11. add tooltips to buttons in custom commandbar?

12. add tooltips to buttons in custom commandbar?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software