Linux
Author Message
 Linux

Hello all

I'm prety sure that this has been asked before, but I can't find a suitable
answer on Google et al. My question is: Can VB6 be run on Linux?

Thank you

Regards

David

Fri, 13 Jul 2012 20:40:46 GMT
 Linux

Quote:

> Hello all

> I'm prety sure that this has been asked before, but I can't find a
> suitable answer on Google et al. My question is: Can VB6 be run on
> Linux?

There are various Rube Goldberg emulations, but even then there are
limitations.

The literal and practical answer is NO.

-ralph

Fri, 13 Jul 2012 21:12:36 GMT
 Linux

Quote:
> Hello all

> I'm prety sure that this has been asked before, but I can't find a
> suitable answer on Google et al. My question is: Can VB6 be run on
> Linux?

This topic was recently discussed, with a thread that was started on 12/24
entitled: VB6 IDE on Linux/Wine

Fri, 13 Jul 2012 21:30:12 GMT
 Linux

Quote:

> I'm prety sure that this has been asked before, but I can't find a
suitable
> answer on Google et al. My question is: Can VB6 be run on Linux?

winehq.org

  I did some experimenting a couple of years ago,
after the Wine people invited participation from
VB people. My results are explained here:

http://www.jsware.net/jsware/vblinux.php5

  In general I found that most software runs, but
slowly and with glitches. Documentation for Wine
is nearly non-existent. (As it is, frustratingly, for
most things Linux.) And the Wine people are not
interested in collaborating on a Win32 API
emulation. They're just trying to get specific
Windows software to run on Linux. (They certainly
didn't want to collaborate with me. What I encountered
seemed to be a sort of paramilitary structure in which
I was invited to be a bug reporter, with strict
requirements about exactly how those bugs got
reported. ...But maybe that's not so much a Wine
problem. Maybe I was just encountering what happens
when corporate employees, accustomed to "teams"
and strict oversight, decide to create their own project.)

  If you look at what has high-level support in Wine
it's not encouraging. The list is mostly games. The
project has been going on for over a decade, seemingly
little more than an effort by geeks and kids to get their
favorite computer games running on Linux.

   Wine may be working much better now than it was
when I last tried it, but I don't have high hopes.
It just goes on and on, with new releases about
every 10 days, and no end-point in sight.

   If you just want to run something on Linux
for your own purposes, that may be very much
doable, especially if you stick to API and avoid
using controls.

   Aside from Wine I don't know of any way to
actually run VB6 software on Linux. I saw something
recently about someone who is actually working
on a Win32 API analog. But I don't remember the
link. It didn't sound like something that was likely
to happen any time soon.

Fri, 13 Jul 2012 23:19:24 GMT
 Linux
Besides what others suggested, see these links:

Installing Visual Basic Applications on Linux
http://www.kegel.com/wine/vb/

WineHQ - Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1325

These are the first 2 links when googling "vb6 linux wine". Mayanna link is
the 3rd link :-)

Sat, 14 Jul 2012 00:40:45 GMT
 Linux

Quote:

> > I'm prety sure that this has been asked before, but I can't find a
> suitable
> > answer on Google et al. My question is: Can VB6 be run on Linux?

> winehq.org

>   I did some experimenting a couple of years ago,
> after the Wine people invited participation from
> VB people. My results are explained here:

> http://www.jsware.net/jsware/vblinux.php5

>   In general I found that most software runs, but
> slowly and with glitches.

That's true (the "slowly" term) for extensive GDI-Output,
especially if the XServer is used with the free graphics-
card-drivers which usually come with your Linux-Distribution
of choice by default - but if you install the "non-free-drivers" -
especially those from NVidia or Intel - then the
graphics-output works much faster (generally - but
the effects can be seen also in Wine).

But for non-graphics-intensive Applications
(FileSystem, Socket-Subsystem - all addressed
over the normal WinAPI-calls) - there the performance
is great - especially on the sockets I've found
that my VB-based Server-Apps achieve more throughput
than on a native Windows-OS.

We have our Video-Streaming-System (the server-part,
streaming and dispatching up to 16 MJPG-Streams over
Sockets) running on Linux/Wine for a few years now -
and I wouldn't want to switch back - also for smaller
3,5" embedded Boards (doing serial communication over
COM-ports for example - or single Channel Video-Capturing)
- Linux/Wine does a good job for us - no license costs -
and the Apps are all written in VB-Classic.

Quote:
> Documentation for Wine is nearly non-existent.

That's true in some way - the WebSite is targetting
more the C-Developers and the WIKI requires a good
Linux-Background.
But a user-oriented NewsGroup/Mailing-List,
accessible e.g. over:
gmane.comp.emulators.wine.user
can be an alternative way, to ask specific (non-developer)
questions.

Aside from that, the Wiki also worth a look.
http://wiki.winehq.org/

And different from the description on your site,
one has not that much problems today anymore,
to install for example the VB-Runtimes - or ADO -
or the C-Runtimes - or Windows-Fonts - just
read about WineTricks at:
http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Quote:
> And the Wine people are not
> interested in collaborating on a Win32 API
> emulation. They're just trying to get specific
> Windows software to run on Linux. (They certainly
> didn't want to collaborate with me. What I encountered
> seemed to be a sort of paramilitary structure in which
> I was invited to be a bug reporter, with strict
> requirements about exactly how those bugs got
> reported. ...

That's also true to some extent ... there's definitely
C-programming-background required, to be treated
"as an equal" <g> (when talking with the core-devs).

But from a users "problem point of view" they cannot
recommend much more, than to advise to use their
established Bug-tracking system.

Quote:
>   If you look at what has high-level support in Wine
> it's not encouraging. The list is mostly games.

Nah, games have a special focus of course, since there
are a bunch of good developers who have an interest
in that special field - but the DirectX-experts are not
the only ones in the (regulars) wine-dev-team.

There are at least 10 people (regulars, 3-4 of them employed
by CodeWeavers IMO), who work also on "all the
other WinAPI-stuff). But a bunch of "occassional contributors"
is there as well.

And the AppDB contains a whole lot of other Applications
- e.g. in the Programming/Development-Section there are
more than 10 Pages full with Entries of Programming-Apps -
many entries have "gold-status" (including the VB6-IDE).

I've already posted some hints, how to setup the VB6-
IDE in Wine only two weeks ago or so.
The Keypoint for the VB6-IDE and most of the
VB6-Apps is the OleAut32.dll Override (set to
Native - not using the Wine-Default-lib).

Quote:
>    Wine may be working much better now than it was
> when I last tried it, but I don't have high hopes.
> It just goes on and on, with new releases about
> every 10 days, and no end-point in sight.

But in each new release they accomplish more and
more, fixing older and new bugs - just read the release-
bugfix-lists - in the meantime even the native .NET 2.0
stuff seems to start working (without using a Mono-
Fallback) - also Wines native IE-Replacement-Control
matures more and more (based on the Gecko-engine) -
a separate, explicit IE-install will soon become history
IMO.

Quote:
>    If you just want to run something on Linux
> for your own purposes, that may be very much
> doable, especially if you stick to API and avoid
> using controls.

That's true to some extend - but for example the
MS-VBGrids (DataGrid, FlexGrid, MSHFlex, etc.)
all work fine for me, also the ComponentOne-
VS-FlexGrids do well.

ActiveX-Dlls, especially when written with VB-Classic
usually work flawlessly, nearly no surprises here.

As I already wrote some weeks ago - the complete
functionality of my RichClient-Toolset works well
on Linux/Wine (the SQLite-wrapper - the Socket-
wrappers, the XML-stuff - as well as the new
Cairo-rendering-engine).

Quote:
>    Aside from Wine I don't know of any way to
> actually run VB6 software on Linux. I saw something
> recently about someone who is actually working
> on a Win32 API analog. But I don't remember the
> link. It didn't sound like something that was likely
> to happen any time soon.

Maybe you meant www.ReactOS.org - but
compared with Wine, running on a proven Linux-
Distribution they have yet a long way to go.

Since we are at it - with regards to a well-working
Linux-Distribution with very good forum-support -
I can recommend http://sidux.com/

That's a Live-CD - which one can download as an *.iso
image (the 64Bit-version is recommended on newer
CPUs - the 32Bit Wine-environment does work
well on top of such an 64Bit Linux-OS, in a
nearly similar way as the WOW64-layer does on
Win64 for 32Bit Apps.
http://sidux.com/module-mirrors-download2.html

After burning the image to a CD, you can boot
the thing on your PC of choice, to test for fully
detected hardware (had no surprises here for
the last years - everything was completely detected,
HP-Scanners and -Printers here - all do well).

If this first BootUp works - one can install from the CD
directly to HardDisk (for inexperienced users a fresh
one is recommended, to not fiddle around too much
with boot-managers) - and the whole installation-process
takes only 4-6 minutes - and you end up with
a nice and clean, fully compatible Debian-sid
installation after that.
One can use the well working packet-mechanism
of Debian (the apt-tools), to update and install packages
directly over internet from the official and well-maintained
Debian-online-repositories.
Sidux is a "rolling distribution" - that means, if you
"apt dist-upgrade" regularly, then you will stay in sync
with always the latest Sidux/Debain-sid repositories -
no further CD-installation is required - the first
CD-install is only something like the "entry-point".

It's really a nice Distro - my kids use it on their
PCs - I also run it in my Office on two Test-,
one File- and one Backup-Server and on my
private "SurfBox".

I take it, that you do a lot of things with scripting
and the WMI-object for example is probably not that
well supported (never tried it), since it works "near to
the hardware and windows-drivers" - but if you
want to deal for example with Windows-Network-
Shares, then there's an easy workaround with
mapping them over smbmount to e.g. Drive X:,
which is then visible in the Wine-environment and
accessible as any other "windows-drive-identifier"...

Olaf

Sat, 14 Jul 2012 01:43:24 GMT
 Linux

My original reply is not accepted by the MS-server...

So, here's a link to it:
www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/linux-wine-reply.txt

Olaf

Sat, 14 Jul 2012 03:04:02 GMT
 Linux

Quote:

> My original reply is not accepted by the MS-server...

It's acting up again. I wish we had some info.
on how it picks what won't go through.

Quote:
> So, here's a link to it:
> www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/linux-wine-reply.txt

 Wow. Thanks for all that info. Your info. is
more up-to-date than mine. In reference to
slowness, I'd just add that I noticed that in
specific software. It wasn't graphics issues but
controls. For instance, a RichTextBox control
was slower with intensive operations than an
API-created RichEdit window. The same is true on
Windows, but it seemed to me that the inefficiency
of any kind of bloat/wrappers like that became
noticeably magnified when run through Wine.

Sat, 14 Jul 2012 03:49:52 GMT
 Linux

Quote:

> > My original reply is not accepted by the MS-server...

> It's acting up again. I wish we had some info.
> on how it picks what won't go through.

> > So, here's a link to it:
> > www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/linux-wine-reply.txt

>  Wow. Thanks for all that info. Your info. is
> more up-to-date than mine. In reference to
> slowness, I'd just add that I noticed that in
> specific software. It wasn't graphics issues but
> controls. For instance, a RichTextBox control
> was slower with intensive operations than an
> API-created RichEdit window. The same is true on
> Windows, but it seemed to me that the inefficiency
> of any kind of bloat/wrappers like that became
> noticeably magnified when run through Wine.

Yep - additionally one can/should switch to the
native riched20.dll over winecfg (after installing
the original, recent riched-libs over the winetricks-
downloader/installer)

I wrote something about all that in this recent thread here:
http://groups.google.de/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/...

Olaf

Sat, 14 Jul 2012 03:48:09 GMT
 Linux
Thank you all for your time and for this information, it is all very
helpful.

Best regards

David

Quote:
> Hello all

> I'm prety sure that this has been asked before, but I can't find a
> suitable answer on Google et al. My question is: Can VB6 be run on Linux?

> Thank you

> Regards

> David

Sat, 14 Jul 2012 13:40:51 GMT

1. Linux new langauge : Was ANNOUNCE Linux BASIC

2. Access on a Linux server

3. Access 97 stored on Linux/Samba server?

4. Running VBA-code Offfice, through Linux Wine

5. Does Any One Know A Linux news Group ??

6. VB development on Red Hat Linux

7. Is there VB for Linux?

8. VB.Net remote data access(linux)

9. Is it dotnet framework for linux is exit?..

10. Running VB.NET application on Linux

11. How to make ASP pages work in Linux/Unix

12. VB and Linux