VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7 
Author Message
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7

Hi,

I would like to know if the next generation Windows (Windows 7) supposes to
support old VB.6 application which use this list of dlls:
1.The Standard Visual Basic 6.0 Project's dlls
2.This VB.6 dlls:
MSCOMM32.OCX
Comdlg32.ocx
ieframe.dll
msmask32.ocx
TABCTL32.OCX
comctl32.ocx
MSCOMCTL.OCX
MSCOMCT2.OCX
MSWINSCK.OCX
3.winmm.dll

Currently, my VB.6 application works on Vista.

Thanks.



Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:42:00 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7

released on Mon, 23 Jun 2008 00:42:00 -0700 bearing the
following fruit:

Quote:
>Hi,

>I would like to know if the next generation Windows (Windows 7) supposes to
>support old VB.6 application which use this list of dlls:
>1.The Standard Visual Basic 6.0 Project's dlls
>2.This VB.6 dlls:
>MSCOMM32.OCX
>Comdlg32.ocx
>ieframe.dll
>msmask32.ocx
>TABCTL32.OCX
>comctl32.ocx
>MSCOMCTL.OCX
>MSCOMCT2.OCX
>MSWINSCK.OCX
>3.winmm.dll

>Currently, my VB.6 application works on Vista.

>Thanks.

While I can't point you to a specific quote from microsoft
I'm not worried. If Windows 7 were to remove support for COM
then barely any software would work any more. It would cost
the software industry billions. The reality is however that
adoption of the new OS would likely be shunned.

--
Jan Hyde

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Jan.Hyde



Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:20:47 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7
   If you follow the news you'll see that at this point
Windows 7 is little more than a device to keep MS
press releases going out. I've seen very little actual
info. about Windows 7. What I have seen is comments
that Win7 is basically Vista. (I'm guessing it's Vista
with *more* bloat, just as XP was 2000 with bloat and
ME was 98 with bloat.)

  MS seems to be hinting that they don't want to be
spending too much time on OSs from now on. They think
"the big money" is now in search, advertising, usurping of
TV, cellphone platforms, etc. My sense is that the MS
leadership actually don't know how to compete except
through monopoly control. Thus they assume everyone
will be forced to use Vista... and Win7... and that they
can therefore just "fluff the pillows" on Vista a bit and ship
it out as "Windows 7: the biggest step forward in the history
of Windows", while they move their focus to other things.

   This is pure speculation on my part, but watching the
increasing corporatizing of the Internet -- and the way
that the MS leadership are trying to cash in on that --
I don't see how MS can avoid branching more, with a
business version, volume-licensed, that allows relatively
flexible 3rd-party software installation, while the retail
"home" product closes down user control further in order
to force people into web services buying and interactive
TV. ... I wonder how much of an issue comctl32.ocx is
in that scenario. :)

Quote:

> I would like to know if the next generation Windows (Windows 7) supposes
to
> support old VB.6 application which use this list of dlls:
> 1.The Standard Visual Basic 6.0 Project's dlls
> 2.This VB.6 dlls:
> MSCOMM32.OCX
> Comdlg32.ocx
> ieframe.dll
> msmask32.ocx
> TABCTL32.OCX
> comctl32.ocx
> MSCOMCTL.OCX
> MSCOMCT2.OCX
> MSWINSCK.OCX
> 3.winmm.dll

> Currently, my VB.6 application works on Vista.

> Thanks.



Fri, 10 Dec 2010 20:36:20 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7
I posted something OT some time back about an article that more or less says
this..with Windows 7 being Vista Plus.  If this is indeed true, I would
imagine VB6 will more or less run even if it takes a few extra hacks.

We'll see...


|   If you follow the news you'll see that at this point
| Windows 7 is little more than a device to keep MS
| press releases going out. I've seen very little actual
| info. about Windows 7. What I have seen is comments
| that Win7 is basically Vista. (I'm guessing it's Vista
| with *more* bloat, just as XP was 2000 with bloat and
| ME was 98 with bloat.)
|
|  MS seems to be hinting that they don't want to be
| spending too much time on OSs from now on. They think
| "the big money" is now in search, advertising, usurping of
| TV, cellphone platforms, etc. My sense is that the MS
| leadership actually don't know how to compete except
| through monopoly control. Thus they assume everyone
| will be forced to use Vista... and Win7... and that they
| can therefore just "fluff the pillows" on Vista a bit and ship
| it out as "Windows 7: the biggest step forward in the history
| of Windows", while they move their focus to other things.
|
|   This is pure speculation on my part, but watching the
| increasing corporatizing of the Internet -- and the way
| that the MS leadership are trying to cash in on that --
| I don't see how MS can avoid branching more, with a
| business version, volume-licensed, that allows relatively
| flexible 3rd-party software installation, while the retail
| "home" product closes down user control further in order
| to force people into web services buying and interactive
| TV. ... I wonder how much of an issue comctl32.ocx is
| in that scenario. :)
|
|
|
| >
| > I would like to know if the next generation Windows (Windows 7) supposes
| to
| > support old VB.6 application which use this list of dlls:
| > 1.The Standard Visual Basic 6.0 Project's dlls
| > 2.This VB.6 dlls:
| > MSCOMM32.OCX
| > Comdlg32.ocx
| > ieframe.dll
| > msmask32.ocx
| > TABCTL32.OCX
| > comctl32.ocx
| > MSCOMCTL.OCX
| > MSCOMCT2.OCX
| > MSWINSCK.OCX
| > 3.winmm.dll
| >
| > Currently, my VB.6 application works on Vista.
| >
| > Thanks.
| >
|
|



Sat, 11 Dec 2010 05:52:10 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7
I'm inclined to agree that Microsoft isn't going to trash COM-based
development environments.

In fact - a friend of mine just started working at Microsoft today. (a
developer from our shop).  He told me that in his interviewing he learned
that the "plight" (if you will) of VB6 developers has not gone totally
unheard.  They are presently working on a project to develop a language
successor to VB6.  I don't remember exactly what the product was called,
however he said he was going to be working on that particular project.

If it's true that Microsoft is going to be coming out with another COM-based
development environment I would think it would support the idea that maybe
Microsoft has realized that they goofed in abandoning it.  In fact, my
friend also observed that even within the corporate campus of Microsoft
there are many, many folks who don't like and don't use Vista - they're
sticking with XP.  That's pretty telling.  I certainly ain't switching off
XP - you can have my cop[ies] when you can pry them from my cold, dead,
fingers! <g>

As was stated previously, at the VERY LEAST, I don't think Microsoft can
afford to destroy the COM platform.  Theres just too much software written
that depends on it.  Maybe COM (ActiveX) won't continue to be supported in
the Web Browsers and places like that - however I think it's safe to say
that the COM desktop environment ain't going away any time soon.

Heck ... even the shop I'm working in is having a hard time eliminating the
VB6 stuff.  They've been talking about it for 4 or 5 years now but we have
large subsystems that could take *years* to rewrite.  Yeah, a lot of our
code has gone to VS2005 and the web environment, but it's mostly the new
development.

-bwr-


Quote:
>I posted something OT some time back about an article that more or less
>says
> this..with Windows 7 being Vista Plus.  If this is indeed true, I would
> imagine VB6 will more or less run even if it takes a few extra hacks.

> We'll see...



> |   If you follow the news you'll see that at this point
> | Windows 7 is little more than a device to keep MS
> | press releases going out. I've seen very little actual
> | info. about Windows 7. What I have seen is comments
> | that Win7 is basically Vista. (I'm guessing it's Vista
> | with *more* bloat, just as XP was 2000 with bloat and
> | ME was 98 with bloat.)
> |
> |  MS seems to be hinting that they don't want to be
> | spending too much time on OSs from now on. They think
> | "the big money" is now in search, advertising, usurping of
> | TV, cellphone platforms, etc. My sense is that the MS
> | leadership actually don't know how to compete except
> | through monopoly control. Thus they assume everyone
> | will be forced to use Vista... and Win7... and that they
> | can therefore just "fluff the pillows" on Vista a bit and ship
> | it out as "Windows 7: the biggest step forward in the history
> | of Windows", while they move their focus to other things.
> |
> |   This is pure speculation on my part, but watching the
> | increasing corporatizing of the Internet -- and the way
> | that the MS leadership are trying to cash in on that --
> | I don't see how MS can avoid branching more, with a
> | business version, volume-licensed, that allows relatively
> | flexible 3rd-party software installation, while the retail
> | "home" product closes down user control further in order
> | to force people into web services buying and interactive
> | TV. ... I wonder how much of an issue comctl32.ocx is
> | in that scenario. :)
> |
> |
> |
> | >
> | > I would like to know if the next generation Windows (Windows 7)
> supposes
> | to
> | > support old VB.6 application which use this list of dlls:
> | > 1.The Standard Visual Basic 6.0 Project's dlls
> | > 2.This VB.6 dlls:
> | > MSCOMM32.OCX
> | > Comdlg32.ocx
> | > ieframe.dll
> | > msmask32.ocx
> | > TABCTL32.OCX
> | > comctl32.ocx
> | > MSCOMCTL.OCX
> | > MSCOMCT2.OCX
> | > MSWINSCK.OCX
> | > 3.winmm.dll
> | >
> | > Currently, my VB.6 application works on Vista.
> | >
> | > Thanks.
> | >
> |
> |



Sat, 11 Dec 2010 08:45:08 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7
I expect that the VB 6 run-time will be support for quite a few more years,
but what about the VB 6 IDE?

I continue to develop on my Win 2000 system, because that's where I have
Office 97, 2000, XP, and 2003.

But what if I have to debug VB 6 source with Office 2007, or later versio
nof Office, we need the IDE for that.



Sat, 11 Dec 2010 09:40:48 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7
Vista may be a pain, but I have declawed it and it is almost XP-like and
with a few improvements where I can see some usefulness.
I am developing VB6SP6+CommonControls stuff with zero problems.
My Vista configuration may not be corporate acceptable, for me it works
great.
Super Admin and UAC off and Run As Admin and use XP compatibility mode as
needed.
I am running all kinds of VB6 code and a whole bunch of apps brought over
from XP.


Quote:
> Hi,

> I would like to know if the next generation Windows (Windows 7) supposes
> to
> support old VB.6 application which use this list of dlls:
> 1.The Standard Visual Basic 6.0 Project's dlls
> 2.This VB.6 dlls:
> MSCOMM32.OCX
> Comdlg32.ocx
> ieframe.dll
> msmask32.ocx
> TABCTL32.OCX
> comctl32.ocx
> MSCOMCTL.OCX
> MSCOMCT2.OCX
> MSWINSCK.OCX
> 3.winmm.dll

> Currently, my VB.6 application works on Vista.

> Thanks.



Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:23:41 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7

I expect that the VB 6 run-time will be support for quite a few more years,
but what about the VB 6 IDE?

I continue to develop on my Win 2000 system, because that's where I have
Office 97, 2000, XP, and 2003.

But what if I have to debug VB 6 source with Office 2007, or later versio
nof Office, we need the IDE for that.

The VB 6.0 IDE is no longer supported. It functions under Vista and Windows Server 2008 but after
that...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)



Sat, 11 Dec 2010 20:42:42 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7


Quote:
> Hi,

> I would like to know if the next generation Windows (Windows 7) supposes to
> support old VB.6 application which use this list of dlls:
> 1.The Standard Visual Basic 6.0 Project's dlls
> 2.This VB.6 dlls:
> MSCOMM32.OCX
> Comdlg32.ocx
> ieframe.dll
> msmask32.ocx
> TABCTL32.OCX
> comctl32.ocx
> MSCOMCTL.OCX
> MSCOMCT2.OCX
> MSWINSCK.OCX
> 3.winmm.dll

> Currently, my VB.6 application works on Vista.

Most of the pundits say that anything which runs on Vista is supposed to
run on window 7 as well.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
newsgroups if possible).



Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:12:51 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7

released on Mon, 23 Jun 2008 00:42:00 -0700 bearing the
following fruit:

Quote:
>Hi,

>I would like to know if the next generation Windows (Windows 7) supposes to
>support old VB.6 application which use this list of dlls:
>1.The Standard Visual Basic 6.0 Project's dlls
>2.This VB.6 dlls:
>MSCOMM32.OCX
>Comdlg32.ocx
>ieframe.dll
>msmask32.ocx
>TABCTL32.OCX
>comctl32.ocx
>MSCOMCTL.OCX
>MSCOMCT2.OCX
>MSWINSCK.OCX
>3.winmm.dll

>Currently, my VB.6 application works on Vista.

>Thanks.

Came across this

        Extended support of Visual Basic IDE to April 2008

        Extended support of runtime to 2017

So I guess you could infer that the IDE might now work but
your complied projects will.

--
Jan Hyde

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Jan.Hyde



Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:42:05 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7


Quote:
> I'm inclined to agree that Microsoft isn't going to trash COM-based
> development environments.

> In fact - a friend of mine just started working at Microsoft today. (a
> developer from our shop).  He told me that in his interviewing he learned
> that the "plight" (if you will) of VB6 developers has not gone totally
> unheard.  They are presently working on a project to develop a language
> successor to VB6.  I don't remember exactly what the product was called,
> however he said he was going to be working on that particular project.
> ...

Well I don't know how realistic that is.  But if there were some hard
guidelines set down in terms of an upgrade path from VB6 they might find
themselves drowned in pre-orders after a putting out a technology preview
for people to scrutinize.

For now I think we'll have to chalk it up to rumor.  No offense to you or
your friend, lots of real projects never see a ship date.



Sun, 12 Dec 2010 06:25:02 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7

Quote:

> In fact - a friend of mine just started working at Microsoft today. (a
> developer from our shop).  He told me that in his interviewing he learned
> that the "plight" (if you will) of VB6 developers has not gone totally
> unheard.  They are presently working on a project to develop a language
> successor to VB6.  I don't remember exactly what the product was called,
> however he said he was going to be working on that particular project.

I am HIGHLY inclined to disbelieve.

But just in case it's true, tell your friend there is a pool
of VB MVPs and ex-MVPs all but *begging* to be tapped to advise
or in some cases even work for such a project.  All they need do
is get in touch with the MVP Program Office for our contact info.

More likely, what your friend tried to describe has to do with just ONE
of the many niche functions for which Classic VB was the Best Tool Ever,
and what they're working on, while suitable for one thing, is far short
of a general purpose programming tool.

        Bob
        MS-MVP for Classic VB every year since 2000
--



Sun, 12 Dec 2010 07:05:07 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7
Hi,

At best all anyone can do here to answer that question is speculate.  Based
that your app works on Vista and Windows 7 is based on Vista I would expect
it to work.  Of the dlls you list in (2) the only one I would be possibly
concerned with would be the use of ieframe.dll.  I think I'd be testing on a
Vista system with IE8 Beta just to be safe.


Quote:
> Hi,

> I would like to know if the next generation Windows (Windows 7) supposes
> to
> support old VB.6 application which use this list of dlls:
> 1.The Standard Visual Basic 6.0 Project's dlls
> 2.This VB.6 dlls:
> MSCOMM32.OCX
> Comdlg32.ocx
> ieframe.dll
> msmask32.ocx
> TABCTL32.OCX
> comctl32.ocx
> MSCOMCTL.OCX
> MSCOMCT2.OCX
> MSWINSCK.OCX
> 3.winmm.dll

> Currently, my VB.6 application works on Vista.

> Thanks.



Sun, 12 Dec 2010 17:38:22 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7
Hey Bob,

Maybe it's not realistic at-all - just passing it on.  No offense taken. ;-)

As for myself I'll be using VB6 as-it-is for a long time - particularly in
any of my own custom software projects.  If I ever wind up writing a
web-based application then I'll use ASP.Net (already have).  It does a fine
job if you're into web programming (which I'm really not).  I have learned a
lot about how a web page works by writing a web-based version of one of my
programs but I still prefer to enhance the VB6-based version - VB6 just
works.

-b :-)


Quote:


>> I'm inclined to agree that Microsoft isn't going to trash COM-based
>> development environments.

>> In fact - a friend of mine just started working at Microsoft today. (a
>> developer from our shop).  He told me that in his interviewing he learned
>> that the "plight" (if you will) of VB6 developers has not gone totally
>> unheard.  They are presently working on a project to develop a language
>> successor to VB6.  I don't remember exactly what the product was called,
>> however he said he was going to be working on that particular project.
>> ...

> Well I don't know how realistic that is.  But if there were some hard
> guidelines set down in terms of an upgrade path from VB6 they might find
> themselves drowned in pre-orders after a putting out a technology preview
> for people to scrutinize.

> For now I think we'll have to chalk it up to rumor.  No offense to you or
> your friend, lots of real projects never see a ship date.



Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:22:52 GMT  
 VB.6 Compatibility with Windows 7
It might not be "supported" - as in they aren't going to fix any more bugs,
but I suspect that it will continue to work.  It is, after all, just another
COM-based program.  If the VB6 runtime still works on future O/S offerings,
why not the IDE?  Maybe you won't be able to use it with future versions of
Office, but aside from that I'd bet it would still work.

-b


Quote:


> I expect that the VB 6 run-time will be support for quite a few more
> years,
> but what about the VB 6 IDE?
>
> I continue to develop on my Win 2000 system, because that's where I have
> Office 97, 2000, XP, and 2003.
>
> But what if I have to debug VB 6 source with Office 2007, or later
> versio
> nof Office, we need the IDE for that.
>

> The VB 6.0 IDE is no longer supported. It functions under Vista and
> Windows Server 2008 but after
> that...

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

> Paul
> ~~~~
> Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)



Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:30:34 GMT  
 
 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. Word VBA - Windows to Windows NT compatibility

2. VB Windows 2000 compatibility problem

3. Windows 2000 Compatibility Update for Access97

4. Windows EXCEL VBA / MAC EXCEL VBA compatibility issues

5. Compatibility with Prior Windows Versions?

6. VB5 compatibility with Windows XP

7. windows me/2000 upgrade compatibility

8. ?? Windows 98 compatibility

9. Compatibility with Windows 95?

10. Compatibility problems between VB6 and Windows XP

11. Windows 2000 compatibility

12. VFP Windows 2000 compatibility

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software