In-Process and Out-of-Process 
Author Message
 In-Process and Out-of-Process

Can someone suggest a site, page or article that explains in
understandable language the definition of In-Process, Out-of-Process,
etc?

Even better, to discuss the subject of 'process space', and how this
relates to VB programming, or programming in general, etc.?

Thanks!

Webbiz



Wed, 21 Dec 2011 23:34:45 GMT  
 In-Process and Out-of-Process

Simply In-Process refers to your App and Out-of-Process refers to any other
App.

For example if you have a VB Application and you start Excel (whether
independently of your App or called internally by your App), Excel would be
Out-of-Process.


Quote:
> Can someone suggest a site, page or article that explains in
> understandable language the definition of In-Process, Out-of-Process,
> etc?

> Even better, to discuss the subject of 'process space', and how this
> relates to VB programming, or programming in general, etc.?

> Thanks!

> Webbiz



Thu, 22 Dec 2011 02:15:23 GMT  
 In-Process and Out-of-Process
What I was hoping to find out though is the deeper technicals about In
and Out-Processes. For instance, when you run your app it works in a
particular area of memory. If you call DLL's or other so-called
"in-process" items, it runs also in this 'area'? And if you call
another app, it runs it 'in another walled off area'? And what happens
when you try to communicate across processes? And how is this normally
accomplished via VB? You know, what is going on behind the scenes that
may be of interest to a VB programmer.

From what I was able to learn via Google (or Bing for you
revolutionists), the discussions involving these in/out processes went
a bit beyond 'this app' and 'that app'. Just trying to expand my
horizons.

Thanks David. Appreciate your reply.  :-)

Webbiz



Quote:

>Simply In-Process refers to your App and Out-of-Process refers to any other
>App.

>For example if you have a VB Application and you start Excel (whether
>independently of your App or called internally by your App), Excel would be
>Out-of-Process.



>> Can someone suggest a site, page or article that explains in
>> understandable language the definition of In-Process, Out-of-Process,
>> etc?

>> Even better, to discuss the subject of 'process space', and how this
>> relates to VB programming, or programming in general, etc.?

>> Thanks!

>> Webbiz



Thu, 22 Dec 2011 03:24:05 GMT  
 In-Process and Out-of-Process

There's quite a bit about processes in the book
Win32 API Programming with VB, if you happen
to have that. (Steven Roman, O'Reilly Publ.)

  There are explanations of in-proc/out-of-proc
in MSDN, but there doesn't seem to be a lot to
say about that. They're pretty much self-explanatory.
In VB terms they're options for COM components.
You can make an in-proc DLL to hold functions,
or you can make an out-of-proc EXE if you want
to write a program with an automation interface.

Quote:
> Can someone suggest a site, page or article that explains in
> understandable language the definition of In-Process, Out-of-Process,
> etc?

> Even better, to discuss the subject of 'process space', and how this
> relates to VB programming, or programming in general, etc.?

> Thanks!

> Webbiz



Thu, 22 Dec 2011 03:25:06 GMT  
 In-Process and Out-of-Process
This one might be good:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa242099(VS.60).aspx

Quote:
> What I was hoping to find out though is the deeper technicals about In
> and Out-Processes. For instance, when you run your app it works in a
> particular area of memory. If you call DLL's or other so-called
> "in-process" items, it runs also in this 'area'? And if you call
> another app, it runs it 'in another walled off area'? And what happens
> when you try to communicate across processes? And how is this normally
> accomplished via VB? You know, what is going on behind the scenes that
> may be of interest to a VB programmer.

> From what I was able to learn via Google (or Bing for you
> revolutionists), the discussions involving these in/out processes went
> a bit beyond 'this app' and 'that app'. Just trying to expand my
> horizons.

> Thanks David. Appreciate your reply.  :-)

> Webbiz



> >Simply In-Process refers to your App and Out-of-Process refers to any
other
> >App.

> >For example if you have a VB Application and you start Excel (whether
> >independently of your App or called internally by your App), Excel would
be
> >Out-of-Process.



> >> Can someone suggest a site, page or article that explains in
> >> understandable language the definition of In-Process, Out-of-Process,
> >> etc?

> >> Even better, to discuss the subject of 'process space', and how this
> >> relates to VB programming, or programming in general, etc.?

> >> Thanks!

> >> Webbiz



Thu, 22 Dec 2011 03:31:56 GMT  
 In-Process and Out-of-Process


Quote:
> What I was hoping to find out though is the deeper technicals about In
> and Out-Processes. For instance, when you run your app it works in a
> particular area of memory. If you call DLL's or other so-called
> "in-process" items, it runs also in this 'area'? And if you call
> another app, it runs it 'in another walled off area'? And what happens
> when you try to communicate across processes? And how is this normally
> accomplished via VB? You know, what is going on behind the scenes that
> may be of interest to a VB programmer.

> From what I was able to learn via Google (or Bing for you
> revolutionists), the discussions involving these in/out processes went
> a bit beyond 'this app' and 'that app'. Just trying to expand my
> horizons.

> Thanks David. Appreciate your reply.  :-)

> Webbiz

Primarily because "in-proc" and "out-of-proc" (and all the little derivate
phrases and spellings) are not a 'technical' term in themselves but a useful
convenience for generally describing whether a particular thingy is within
the address space of another or not.

The details (and actual terms) are contained in "Windows Virtual Memory
Management", "Virtual Address Space", and "Processes and Threads". All
relatively complex subjects but a place every Windows programmer has to go
sooner or later.

Here is as good a place to start as any ...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366912(VS.85).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684841(VS.85).aspx
and all the other topics under System Services.

If it is new to you don't go crazy trying to understand every sentance in
the beginning, read to get the general sense and buzzwords, come back and
follow the links, as your interest and knowledge grow.

-ralph



Thu, 22 Dec 2011 06:56:17 GMT  
 In-Process and Out-of-Process
See this article which is still true for later operating systems:

INFO: Overview of the Windows 95 Virtual Address Space Layout
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125691/en-us



Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:01:53 GMT  
 In-Process and Out-of-Process
That made for some light reading. Thanks. :-)



Quote:
>This one might be good:
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa242099(VS.60).aspx

>> What I was hoping to find out though is the deeper technicals about In
>> and Out-Processes. For instance, when you run your app it works in a
>> particular area of memory. If you call DLL's or other so-called
>> "in-process" items, it runs also in this 'area'? And if you call
>> another app, it runs it 'in another walled off area'? And what happens
>> when you try to communicate across processes? And how is this normally
>> accomplished via VB? You know, what is going on behind the scenes that
>> may be of interest to a VB programmer.

>> From what I was able to learn via Google (or Bing for you
>> revolutionists), the discussions involving these in/out processes went
>> a bit beyond 'this app' and 'that app'. Just trying to expand my
>> horizons.

>> Thanks David. Appreciate your reply.  :-)

>> Webbiz



>> >Simply In-Process refers to your App and Out-of-Process refers to any
>other
>> >App.

>> >For example if you have a VB Application and you start Excel (whether
>> >independently of your App or called internally by your App), Excel would
>be
>> >Out-of-Process.



>> >> Can someone suggest a site, page or article that explains in
>> >> understandable language the definition of In-Process, Out-of-Process,
>> >> etc?

>> >> Even better, to discuss the subject of 'process space', and how this
>> >> relates to VB programming, or programming in general, etc.?

>> >> Thanks!

>> >> Webbiz



Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:18:24 GMT  
 In-Process and Out-of-Process
Thanks Ralph. Good reads. :)



Quote:



>> What I was hoping to find out though is the deeper technicals about In
>> and Out-Processes. For instance, when you run your app it works in a
>> particular area of memory. If you call DLL's or other so-called
>> "in-process" items, it runs also in this 'area'? And if you call
>> another app, it runs it 'in another walled off area'? And what happens
>> when you try to communicate across processes? And how is this normally
>> accomplished via VB? You know, what is going on behind the scenes that
>> may be of interest to a VB programmer.

>> From what I was able to learn via Google (or Bing for you
>> revolutionists), the discussions involving these in/out processes went
>> a bit beyond 'this app' and 'that app'. Just trying to expand my
>> horizons.

>> Thanks David. Appreciate your reply.  :-)

>> Webbiz

>Primarily because "in-proc" and "out-of-proc" (and all the little derivate
>phrases and spellings) are not a 'technical' term in themselves but a useful
>convenience for generally describing whether a particular thingy is within
>the address space of another or not.

>The details (and actual terms) are contained in "Windows Virtual Memory
>Management", "Virtual Address Space", and "Processes and Threads". All
>relatively complex subjects but a place every Windows programmer has to go
>sooner or later.

>Here is as good a place to start as any ...
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366912(VS.85).aspx
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684841(VS.85).aspx
>and all the other topics under System Services.

>If it is new to you don't go crazy trying to understand every sentance in
>the beginning, read to get the general sense and buzzwords, come back and
>follow the links, as your interest and knowledge grow.

>-ralph



Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:18:48 GMT  
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Works ok as Inprocess Server but not as Out process

2. Installation process and Update process finished.

3. VCM, In-Process, Out-Process

4. How to hide my process from Process Liste with win XP

5. ActiveX exe used to process large processing jobs

6. in-process and out-process, what are they?

7. Processing during loop i.e. Application.Process Messages

8. Killing a process and all its children processes....

9. out of process server identifying client process

10. In Process or out of process

11. Q: Getting calling process from in-process server dll

12. What is in-process or out-process component?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software