BigInteger and BigDecimal [equivalents] for VB.NET?
Author Message
 BigInteger and BigDecimal [equivalents] for VB.NET?

I'm writing a client in VB.NET (VS 2008 Pro) and a server in Java. In
Java I have the benefit of BigInteger (arbitrary-precision integers)
and BigDecimal (arbitrary-precision signed decimal numbers). I'm
trying to find equivalent classes in VB.NET so I can exchange data and
perform calculations with equivalence across both languages.

I have seen references to the J# vjslib.dll, which looks promising,
but I can't find that library in my installation. I even downloaded
the Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package-Second Edition, but no
luck.

What I need is a solution that intellisense will handle properly, and
is dependable.

Surely there are those using this language that need this numeric
functionality for encryotion and compression, if not for other
requirements...

TIA!

:)

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 09:35:09 GMT
 BigInteger and BigDecimal [equivalents] for VB.NET?

Quote:
> I'm writing a client in VB.NET (VS 2008 Pro) and a server in Java. In
> Java I have the benefit of BigInteger (arbitrary-precision integers)
> and BigDecimal (arbitrary-precision signed decimal numbers). I'm
> trying to find equivalent classes in VB.NET so I can exchange data and
> perform calculations with equivalence across both languages.

> I have seen references to the J# vjslib.dll, which looks promising,
> but I can't find that library in my installation. I even downloaded
> the Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package-Second Edition, but no
> luck.

> What I need is a solution that intellisense will handle properly, and
> is dependable.

> Surely there are those using this language that need this numeric
> functionality for encryotion and compression, if not for other
> requirements...

Good News! There are such animals available you can use in dotNet.
Bad News! You posted to a classic VB newsgroup (VB6 and lower). You need to
post to a dotNet newsgroup. Perhaps...
    microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

[Note: Attempting to match identical fp results with two different libraries
can occasionally be an adventure. Best to pick one library.]

-ralph

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 09:53:22 GMT
 BigInteger and BigDecimal [equivalents] for VB.NET?
Bogus,

It is not in VS 2008, it was in Visual Studio 1998 for J++ probably that is
were your information originates, Visual Studio 1998 is often as well called
Visual Studio 6 (It is the professional package where VB6 is in).

It has been intentional to be in VS 2008 (VB language version 9) but it is
as far as I know not included in the final version of VS 2008 (This are not
language parts anymore but common Framework Net parts).

If it will be in the final version of VS2010 (VB language version 10) is
unpredictable to tell, as Microsoft always keeps the right to withdraw or
add parts of the final version until the release candidate.

However, I can be wrong so you can ask this in other newsgroups, but better
then a language newsgroup is in this case the Microsoft.public.Framework
newsgroup.

Cor

Quote:
> I'm writing a client in VB.NET (VS 2008 Pro) and a server in Java. In
> Java I have the benefit of BigInteger (arbitrary-precision integers)
> and BigDecimal (arbitrary-precision signed decimal numbers). I'm
> trying to find equivalent classes in VB.NET so I can exchange data and
> perform calculations with equivalence across both languages.

> I have seen references to the J# vjslib.dll, which looks promising,
> but I can't find that library in my installation. I even downloaded
> the Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package-Second Edition, but no
> luck.

> What I need is a solution that intellisense will handle properly, and
> is dependable.

> Surely there are those using this language that need this numeric
> functionality for encryotion and compression, if not for other
> requirements...

> TIA!

> :)

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 15:49:58 GMT
 BigInteger and BigDecimal [equivalents] for VB.NET?

Quote:
> Bogus, It is not in VS 2008:
> . . . [lots of totally irrelevant stuff snipped]

The OP has said that he he writing his application in VB.Net, which is NOT
Visual Basic and both his question and your detailed response to it are
therefore off topic in this newsgroup. The OP obviously did not realise that
he was posting to the wrong newsgroup, which is perfectly understandable
given that the product he is using is an imposter and has been deliberately
and dishonestly given the name Visual Basic by the grinning Micro$oft
fairground gypsies, but you certainly DO know that he is posting to the
wrong newsgroup so you have no excuse whatsoever for providing a detailed
response to his question here, especially as you clearly do not know the
answer! Just redirect the OP to the appropriate dotnet group Ligthert and
stop repeatedly pestering us here with your evangelistic dotnet drivel.

Note to Bogus: . . . The name you are using for your newsgroup postings is
rather apt in this specific case because the product you are using is also
bogus. It is NOT Visual Basic, despite the fact that it has VB in its name,
and questions relating to it are off topic in this group. You should post
your question to a VB.Net group, such as
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

Mike

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 16:47:35 GMT
 BigInteger and BigDecimal [equivalents] for VB.NET?
Ralph and Cor, many thanks for pointing out my error.

Michael,

"Note to Bogus: . . . The name you are using for your newsgroup
postings is
rather apt in this specific case because the product you are using is
also
bogus. It is NOT Visual Basic, despite the fact that it has VB in its
name,
and questions relating to it are off topic in this group."

Ouch!

Thanks!

:)

Thu, 03 Nov 2011 01:04:33 GMT

1. Equivalent of VB.6 Standard EXE in VB.NET

2. subclass equivalent for vb .net

3. StrFormatByteSize equivalent in VB.NET (repost)

4. StrFormatByteSize equivalent in VB.NET

5. VB.NET equivalent of C# continue?

6. SendMessageTimeout equivalent in VB.NET

7. VB.net creatobject equivalent

8. Does VB.NET have a C# @ modifier equivalent?

9. app.hInstance equivalent in vb.net?

10. equivalents commandes vb6 in vb.net

11. Equivalent d'une commande vb6 sous vb.net

12. Equivalent d'une commande vb6 sous vb.net