I need help to make VB6 Download an xml file
Author Message
 I need help to make VB6 Download an xml file

Hi,

I am looking for some pointers as to how I get my VB6 code to pull an xml
file from a url.

Thnaks

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 07:11:01 GMT
 I need help to make VB6 Download an xml file
Google it.  Don't be so damned lazy.

--
2025
If you do not believe in time travel,

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43606237254

| Hi,
|
| I am looking for some pointers as to how I get my VB6 code to pull an xml
| file from a url.
|
| Thnaks

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 07:59:22 GMT
 I need help to make VB6 Download an xml file
Here's one way, but it's really just a wrapper around
IE functionality:

http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/internet/urldownloadtofile.htm

Here's a rather novel method that Karl Peterson discovered:

http://vb.mvps.org/samples/NetGrab/

Here's a brass-tacks method that uses winsock and talks
directly to the server:

www.jsware.net/jsware/vbcode.php5#htp

  The fact that the file happens to be XML is neither here
nor there.

Quote:
> I am looking for some pointers as to how I get my VB6 code to pull an xml
> file from a url.

> Thnaks

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:42:50 GMT
 I need help to make VB6 Download an xml file
Hi vbpilot,

If you are working with xml, then the simplest way would be to work with the
DomDocument.  Declare a DOMDocument with events and handle it's
ondataavailable event, eg:

Private WithEvents doc As DOMDocument60

Private Sub Command1_Click()
 Set doc = New DOMDocument60
 Debug.Print (doc.Load("some url.xml"))
End Sub

Private Sub doc_ondataavailable()
   Debug.Print doc.xml
End Sub

Quote:
> Hi,

> I am looking for some pointers as to how I get my VB6 code to pull an xml
> file from a url.

> Thnaks

Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:52:41 GMT
 I need help to make VB6 Download an xml file

Quote:
> If you are working with xml, then the simplest way would be to work with
the
> DomDocument.  Declare a DOMDocument with events and handle it's
> ondataavailable event, eg:

> Private WithEvents doc As DOMDocument60

  You should also know what Bill M. didn't
bother to mention: The msxml6 that his code uses
is only pre-installed on Vista and is only installable
on 2000/XP/2003.

Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:15:46 GMT
 I need help to make VB6 Download an xml file

Quote:
>  You should also know what Bill M. didn't
> bother to mention: The msxml6 that his code uses
> is only pre-installed on Vista and is only installable
> on 2000/XP/2003.

More detail:

http://blogs.msdn.com/xmlteam/archive/2006/10/23/using-the-right-vers...

"Use MSXML 6.0 - it is in the box on Vista and available for download on
Win2k, XP, and 2003.  It has the best security, performance, reliability,
and W3C conformance.

"MSXML 3.0 is our preferred fallback - It is installed on every OS from a
fully patched Win2k SP4 installation on up, so it requires zero-deployment
and is serviced regularly with the OS.

"MSXML 4.0 was released to the web about 5 years ago, but at this point has
been superseded by MSXML 6.0 and is only intended to support legacy
applications.

"MSXML 5.0 for Microsoft Office Applications is purpose-built for Office
applications and isnt intended for broad deployment.  Internet Explorer 7
actually has the MSXML5 components "off-by-default" in the Internet zone so
your customers will get a goldbar for each MSXML5 control on a page if your
code tries to instantiate it.  The best recommendation is to avoid MSXML5 in
your web apps (only machines with Office 2003 or higher will have it,
anyway.)."

"As much as we'd love everyone to be on MSXML6 today, we realize the
migration can take some time.  So we're continuing to invest in MSXML3 to
support existing applications and applications that have zero deployment
requirements.  MSXML3 doesn't have all the improvements in MSXML6, but
developers should consider it a robust and stable platform for MSXML
applications.  MSXML3 is already part of the operating system on a fully
patched Win2k SP4 installation and higher so in general no deployment to the
client is required.  Going forward, MSXML3 updates will come out in each of
the OS service packs."

My own 2 cents:

For best portability I use MSXML 3.0, but this isn't possible when you need
XSD support.  Nobody (*nobody*) should be using MSXML 4.0, there just isn't
any justifiable case for it.  MSXML 4.0 was never shipped as part of any OS
release, so since you have to depoy it anyway you may as well deploy the
much improved successor MSXML 6.0 anyway.

If you're trying to support an OS that Microsoft has abandoned (Win98?) I
pity you, but your best bet may be MSXML 3.0 and you *must* deploy it since
you cannot count on it being there:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052...

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 02:21:25 GMT
 I need help to make VB6 Download an xml file
To add to what Bob has listed:
 Generally you should use MSXML 6 where ever the system supports it. MSXML 6
ships with Vista, Windows 2008, and Windows 7 and also is on Windows XP SP3
machines that have updates applied.

Quote:

>>  You should also know what Bill M. didn't
>> bother to mention: The msxml6 that his code uses
>> is only pre-installed on Vista and is only installable
>> on 2000/XP/2003.

> More detail:

> http://blogs.msdn.com/xmlteam/archive/2006/10/23/using-the-right-vers...

> "Use MSXML 6.0 - it is in the box on Vista and available for download on
> Win2k, XP, and 2003.  It has the best security, performance, reliability,
> and W3C conformance.

> "MSXML 3.0 is our preferred fallback - It is installed on every OS from
> a fully patched Win2k SP4 installation on up, so it requires
> zero-deployment and is serviced regularly with the OS.

> "MSXML 4.0 was released to the web about 5 years ago, but at this point
> has been superseded by MSXML 6.0 and is only intended to support legacy
> applications.

> "MSXML 5.0 for Microsoft Office Applications is purpose-built for Office
> applications and isnt intended for broad deployment.  Internet Explorer 7
> actually has the MSXML5 components "off-by-default" in the Internet zone
> so your customers will get a goldbar for each MSXML5 control on a page if
> your code tries to instantiate it.  The best recommendation is to avoid
> MSXML5 in your web apps (only machines with Office 2003 or higher will
> have it, anyway.)."

> "As much as we'd love everyone to be on MSXML6 today, we realize the
> migration can take some time.  So we're continuing to invest in MSXML3 to
> support existing applications and applications that have zero deployment
> requirements.  MSXML3 doesn't have all the improvements in MSXML6, but
> developers should consider it a robust and stable platform for MSXML
> applications.  MSXML3 is already part of the operating system on a fully
> patched Win2k SP4 installation and higher so in general no deployment to
> the client is required.  Going forward, MSXML3 updates will come out in
> each of the OS service packs."

> My own 2 cents:

> For best portability I use MSXML 3.0, but this isn't possible when you
> need XSD support.  Nobody (*nobody*) should be using MSXML 4.0, there just
> isn't any justifiable case for it.  MSXML 4.0 was never shipped as part of
> any OS release, so since you have to depoy it anyway you may as well
> deploy the much improved successor MSXML 6.0 anyway.

> If you're trying to support an OS that Microsoft has abandoned (Win98?) I
> pity you, but your best bet may be MSXML 3.0 and you *must* deploy it
> since you cannot count on it being there:

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052...

Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:18:08 GMT

1. VB6.0 made exe programs needs DLL files

2. Please Help -- VB6 to XML File

3. XML File Download...

4. Xml File download Script Problem

5. XML file Download hanging

6. Reporting off XML file with Crystal Enteprise 8.0 : Help Needed Urgently

7. need help on client-side file download

8. Need help to download file from thet via vb, INVISIBLE

9. (Need help on How to) Dial up to a remote computer to FTP download files

10. Help Needed on how to Download the Results of Database Query to a File

11. (Need help on How to) Dial up to a remote computer to FTP download files

12. (Need help on How to) Dial up to a remote computer to FTP download files