Using DLL from Vendor
Author Message
 Using DLL from Vendor

I am using Visual Basic 6.0
I have been given a DLL file from a vendor called Input_Pro_DLL.dll.
I have saved the file in C:WINDOWS\System32.
I am pretty sure the DLL was not made in VB.
I also have no way that I know of to register it on my system.

How do I go about making a reference to it in my vb code and start
using it?

Thank for all of your help.

Coby.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:08:55 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor

Quote:
> I am using Visual Basic 6.0
> I have been given a DLL file from a vendor called Input_Pro_DLL.dll.
> I have saved the file in C:WINDOWS\System32.
> I am pretty sure the DLL was not made in VB.
> I also have no way that I know of to register it on my system.

> How do I go about making a reference to it in my vb code and start
> using it?

> Thank for all of your help.

The best advice here would be to contact your vendor.  Give them
all the facts and see if they've got a solution for you.

LFS

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:39:27 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor

Quote:

> > I am using Visual Basic 6.0
> > I have been given a DLL file from a vendor called Input_Pro_DLL.dll.
> > I have saved the file in C:WINDOWS\System32.
> > I am pretty sure the DLL was not made in VB.
> > I also have no way that I know of to register it on my system.

> > How do I go about making a reference to it in my vb code and start
> > using it?

> > Thank for all of your help.

> The best advice here would be to contact your vendor. ?Give them
> all the facts and see if they've got a solution for you.

> LFS

Well, I've contacted the vendor and they sent me a pdf pamphlet of the
commands and a .lib file to go along with the .dll Yet, the person I
spoke with wasn't exactly sure how to use the dll in VB, but seemed to
think that with the .dll, .lib, and the list of commands that I had
enough to interact with the activex object.  I am not sure if that is
true.

Does anyone know if that is true?

vendor co.?

Thanks for your help, again.

Coby.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:27:49 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor
If you can set a reference you can register it.

regsvr32.exe [path to DLL]

 The name will then show up in the references window,
or you can browse to it. If it can't be registered then
you can't set a reference unless the company has
provided a typelib that you can add through the references
window. If it's a "normal" DLL then you just use declares
and need to have documentation.

Quote:
> I am using Visual Basic 6.0
> I have been given a DLL file from a vendor called Input_Pro_DLL.dll.
> I have saved the file in C:WINDOWS\System32.
> I am pretty sure the DLL was not made in VB.
> I also have no way that I know of to register it on my system.

> How do I go about making a reference to it in my vb code and start
> using it?

> Thank for all of your help.

> Coby.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:57:44 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor
Well, I've contacted the vendor and they sent me a pdf pamphlet of the
commands and a .lib file to go along with the .dll Yet, the person I
spoke with wasn't exactly sure how to use the dll in VB, but seemed to
think that with the .dll, .lib, and the list of commands that I had
enough to interact with the activex object.  I am not sure if that is
true.

  The .Lib file is for C++. You should be able to register
the DLL and then add it as a control, from the looks
of their webpage. That's assuming you downloaded the
COM version. (I was going to download a trial to check
it out but they seem to be a rather sleazy operation,
not allowing downloads without giving them personal info.,
marketing info., and a spammable email address.)

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 00:19:52 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor

Quote:
> If you can set a reference you can register it.

> regsvr32.exe [path to DLL]

> ?The name will then show up in the references window,
> or you can browse to it. If it can't be registered then
> you can't set a reference unless the company has
> provided a typelib that you can add through the references
> window. If it's a "normal" DLL then you just use declares
> and need to have documentation.

> > I am using Visual Basic 6.0
> > I have been given a DLL file from a vendor called Input_Pro_DLL.dll.
> > I have saved the file in C:WINDOWS\System32.
> > I am pretty sure the DLL was not made in VB.
> > I also have no way that I know of to register it on my system.

> > How do I go about making a reference to it in my vb code and start
> > using it?

> > Thank for all of your help.

> > Coby.

Thanks, Mayayana.
I tried RegSvr32 and received an error which states:

Error Msg.
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\Input_Pro_DLL.dll was loaded but the
DllRegisterServer Entry Point was not found. The File Cannot Be
Registered"

BUT, the vendor has given me an "H" file.
I vaguely recall reading about using this file to compile a dll, but
have never done it.  Do you know anything about this approach?

Coby.

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 00:30:58 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor
Try to browse to it or register it like mayayana suggested, if you get an
error, then it's a standard Windows DLL that you use with Declare statement.
I believe the later might be the case from the fact that they provided a LIB
file, but in some cases it's not. The exported functions in the DLL must
have been compiled with __stdcall and added to DEF file. See this article
for details:

INFO: Visual Basic Requirements for Exported DLL Functions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142840

If you have VS6, then look in VS Tools in the Start Menu for Dependency
Walker, open the DLL with it and look for the exported function(has "e"
icon). If you see DllRegisterServer, then it's an ActiveX/COM file. If not,
then it's standard DLL, and in this case if you see the functions that you
need to use but they have some characters before or after the function name,
then the functions were not exported in a way to be used with VB.

If you don't have Dependency Walker, you can download it from here:

http://www.dependencywalker.com

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 00:31:37 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor
What is the vendor's name for this product?

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Quote:

> > I am using Visual Basic 6.0
> > I have been given a DLL file from a vendor called Input_Pro_DLL.dll.
> > I have saved the file in C:WINDOWS\System32.
> > I am pretty sure the DLL was not made in VB.
> > I also have no way that I know of to register it on my system.

> > How do I go about making a reference to it in my vb code and start
> > using it?

> > Thank for all of your help.

> The best advice here would be to contact your vendor. Give them
> all the facts and see if they've got a solution for you.

> LFS

Well, I've contacted the vendor and they sent me a pdf pamphlet of the
commands and a .lib file to go along with the .dll Yet, the person I
spoke with wasn't exactly sure how to use the dll in VB, but seemed to
think that with the .dll, .lib, and the list of commands that I had
enough to interact with the activex object.  I am not sure if that is
true.

Does anyone know if that is true?

vendor co.?

Thanks for your help, again.

Coby.

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 00:49:12 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor
Error Msg.
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\Input_Pro_DLL.dll was loaded but the
DllRegisterServer Entry Point was not found. The File Cannot Be
Registered"

BUT, the vendor has given me an "H" file.
I vaguely recall reading about using this file to compile a dll, but
have never done it.  Do you know anything about this approach?

 The .H file is an include file that contains C++ declares
for the DLL. (It can be used for a C++ compile, sort
of like a typelib for VB, but for VB a .H file is only useful
as a function reference.)

   They seem to think that you're compiling their .lib file
into a C++ program. It's confusing. All indications seem
to be that you've got a standard DLL. (See expvb's post for
explanation about using that.) Yet their website seems to
be advertising a COM/ActiveX input control. If it were an
ActiveX control it could be registered, added via the Controls
window, and used from the "toolbox". If it were an ActiveX
DLL it could be registered and a reference could then be added.
From your description it sounds like it's just a standard DLL and
the declares are in C++ format in the .H file. You can translate
to the VB versions from there, but as expvb said, it must be
_stdcall format. To confuse things further, C++ is rife with
superfluous synonyms. For instance, I think a call marked
WINAPI is the same as a call marked _stdcall. But if it's marked
CDECL then it's not realistic to try to use the function.

  Are you sure you didn't download the wrong thing?

More to the point, are you sure that you need that control?
I wonder if it might be designed specifically for C++ users.
The control seems to only provide things that already
exist in the VB standard ("intrinsic") control set.

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 00:58:58 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor

Quote:
> Try to browse to it or register it like mayayana suggested, if you get an
> error, then it's a standard Windows DLL that you use with Declare statement.
> I believe the later might be the case from the fact that they provided a LIB
> file, but in some cases it's not. The exported functions in the DLL must
> have been compiled with __stdcall and added to DEF file. See this article
> for details:

> INFO: Visual Basic Requirements for Exported DLL Functionshttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/142840

> If you have VS6, then look in VS Tools in the Start Menu for Dependency
> Walker, open the DLL with it and look for the exported function(has "e"
> icon). If you see DllRegisterServer, then it's an ActiveX/COM file. If not,
> then it's standard DLL, and in this case if you see the functions that you
> need to use but they have some characters before or after the function name,
> then the functions were not exported in a way to be used with VB.

> If you don't have Dependency Walker, you can download it from here:

> http://www.dependencywalker.com

I am checking it out with Dependency Walker.
This is a really nice tool I did not know about.
When you say "e" do you mean a grid-column heading titled as "e".
If so, all of the functions are identified as "C".

Coby.

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 01:06:04 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor

Quote:
> If you can set a reference you can register it.

> regsvr32.exe [path to DLL]

> The name will then show up in the references window,
> or you can browse to it. If it can't be registered then
> you can't set a reference unless the company has
> provided a typelib that you can add through the references
> window. If it's a "normal" DLL then you just use declares
> and need to have documentation.

> > I am using Visual Basic 6.0
> > I have been given a DLL file from a vendor called Input_Pro_DLL.dll.
> > I have saved the file in C:WINDOWS\System32.
> > I am pretty sure the DLL was not made in VB.
> > I also have no way that I know of to register it on my system.

> > How do I go about making a reference to it in my vb code and start
> > using it?

> > Thank for all of your help.

> > Coby.

Thanks, Mayayana.
I tried RegSvr32 and received an error which states:

Error Msg.
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\Input_Pro_DLL.dll was loaded but the
DllRegisterServer Entry Point was not found. The File Cannot Be
Registered"

BUT, the vendor has given me an "H" file.
I vaguely recall reading about using this file to compile a dll, but
have never done it.  Do you know anything about this approach?

Coby.

[The Dll is then apparently a 'regular dll' or an 'WinApi Dll'. Most likely
the latter, but to make sure post relavant portions of the header the top
and bottom, or if small enough post the entire header. That way we can
provide specific advice.]

General Summary (assuming it is an "WinApi Dll")
You have two non-exclusive options:
1) Create Declare directives for use in your VB application, or
2) Create a Typelib for use by your VB application.

Personally I recommend creating a TypeLib over Declare Directives. However,
if you have done neither before, creating Declare directives is easier (and
it debug) and is good background for migrating to a typelib.

To create Declare Directive you will translate the C declarations into VB
declarations. C functions with no return become VB Subs. This site gives a
good summary for 'translating' data types.
http://www.wizardwrx.com/TechnicalArticles/Data_Type_Conversions.html

hth
-ralph

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 01:00:23 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor
On Dec 25, 8:49?am, "Rick Rothstein"

Quote:

> What is the vendor's name for this product?

> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)

> > > I am using Visual Basic 6.0
> > > I have been given a DLL file from a vendor called Input_Pro_DLL.dll.
> > > I have saved the file in C:WINDOWS\System32.
> > > I am pretty sure the DLL was not made in VB.
> > > I also have no way that I know of to register it on my system.

> > > How do I go about making a reference to it in my vb code and start
> > > using it?

> > > Thank for all of your help.

> > The best advice here would be to contact your vendor. Give them
> > all the facts and see if they've got a solution for you.

> > LFS

> Well, I've contacted the vendor and they sent me a pdf pamphlet of the
> commands and a .lib file to go along with the .dll Yet, the person I
> spoke with wasn't exactly sure how to use the dll in VB, but seemed to
> think that with the .dll, .lib, and the list of commands that I had
> enough to interact with the activex object. ?I am not sure if that is
> true.

> Does anyone know if that is true?

> vendor co.?

> Thanks for your help, again.

> Coby.

Rick,
The vendor name is Anser Coding Inc.
Coby.

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 01:12:21 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor

Quote:
> I am checking it out with Dependency Walker.
> This is a really nice tool I did not know about.
> When you say "e" do you mean a grid-column heading titled as "e".
> If so, all of the functions are identified as "C".

I am using the version that came with VS6, which shows things differently.
You see two ListViews to the right, the top one is for imported
functions(from other DLL's), and the bottom one is for exported functions.
Exported functions is what matters.

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 01:25:36 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor

Quote:
> On Dec 25, 8:49?am, "Rick Rothstein"

> > What is the vendor's name for this product?

> > --
> > Rick (MVP - Excel)

> > > The best advice here would be to contact your vendor. Give them
> > > all the facts and see if they've got a solution for you.

> > > LFS

> > Well, I've contacted the vendor and they sent me a pdf pamphlet of the
> > commands and a .lib file to go along with the .dll Yet, the person I
> > spoke with wasn't exactly sure how to use the dll in VB, but seemed to
> > think that with the .dll, .lib, and the list of commands that I had
> > enough to interact with the activex object. ?I am not sure if that is
> > true.

> > Does anyone know if that is true?

> > vendor co.?

> > Thanks for your help, again.

> > Coby.

> Rick,
> The vendor name is Anser Coding Inc.
> Coby.

Mayayana,

What, I think, they have basically done is given me all the files to
cover whatever language I may be using and whether it is C++, Delphi,
or Visual Basic, so their customers would be covered for whatever
development language is being used.

I think this because the list of functions given to me do list
examples in C++, Delphi, as well as Visual Basic, and there are well
over 30 functions that interact with their print controller which I am
hoping to use.

I must be really close to being able to use this because I went ahead
and tried a typical declare statement and have tried a couple of the
functions, but I just get entry point problems when the actual
function call line of code is executed.

Thanks,
Coby.

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 01:30:16 GMT
 Using DLL from Vendor
If they have a VB6 sample, then the declares are there, or a TLB file was
added as a reference, so you don't have to make your own declares.

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 01:39:58 GMT

 [ 20 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Versions/vendors of Basic covered in this newsgroup ?

2. How many business basic vendors...

3. Object FAQ - Call for Updates - Readers, All Object Vendors

4. Address of VB-CAD Vendor ?

5. the VB Resource Index - OCX Vendors

6. Access & VB maintaing inventory with vendors

7. Object FAQ - Call for Updates - Readers, All Object Vendors

8. the VB Resource Index - OCX Vendors

9. Msg from the VB Resource Index to Third Party Vendors

10. MCSD prep: self-study vendors??

11. Address of VB-CAD Vendor ?

12. VB 4 Release to Vendors November 95