Access denied when creating ActiveX component
Author Message
 Access denied when creating ActiveX component

Hi all, a great 2010 for all.

There was a change in our company in the way that the users are allowed to
use the computers. Basically, some of us had admin rights and now they have
been downgraded to Power Users. There is one app that uses an ActiveX EXE
component which had been running smoothly in the IDE until the change. Now
when I run the main app in the IDE I get a message box which informatively
tells me: "Unexpected error; quitting" (Gee, I which I could do that!).
Doing some research I found that this error happens when I try to
instantiate the activeX EXE component. After a few minutes of fumbling with
the "Switch to.../Retry" message box I get the more recognizable error "429
ActiveX component can't create object".

I opened the ActiveX EXE project in the IDE and ran it and it immediately
gave me the error: "Access denied". Obviously it is trying to do something
that the new security setting/policy does not like. I suspect that it is
trying to read some part of the registry that is limited to admin users. At
this time, I got temp. admin privileges back (having the Cinderella
syndrome, which means they expire at midnight), but we are looking into a
more permanent solution.

Would un-registering the component now with admin privileges and registering
it tomorrow without these privileges fix this problem? Any orientation is
welcomed. Using VB6 SP5, Win XP SP2, ADO 2.7 & SQL Server 2000. Thank you!
Saga

Sun, 01 Jul 2012 05:07:55 GMT
 Access denied when creating ActiveX component

Quote:

> Hi all, a great 2010 for all.

> There was a change in our company in the way that the users are
> allowed to use the computers. Basically, some of us had admin rights
> and now they have been downgraded to Power Users. ...

[Warning Unsatisfactory Answer follows. Thus can be safely ignored.]

While it will be possible to monkey around and have an Admin set it up for
you to have 'permissions' for that DLL, or other situations - frankly
attempting to develop applications as a "Power User" with a development
platform geared to COM, and that likes to think of itself as in total
control of its objects, is a major wasted effort and productivity killer.

Any Windows developer that doesn't have full admin permissions on his own
platform is going to run into trouble. There are schemes - but they are a
hassle and will all fail at some point.

Been there, done that.

You need to tell the pointed-haired moron that came up with that plan, to do
a re-think. But they won't listen ... everyone basically has to learn the
hard way ... so just go along with it. So don't bother. Just log your time
and turn in your 'exceptions' to Admin. Sooner or later someone will finally
realize this wasn't such a good idea and you'll get your permissions back.

-ralph
(You will likely get a few more concrete suggestions here to help a bit over
the short-term.)

Sun, 01 Jul 2012 06:07:00 GMT
 Access denied when creating ActiveX component

Quote:

> You need to tell the pointed-haired moron that came up with that plan, to
> do
> a re-think. But they won't listen ... everyone basically has to learn the
> hard way ... so just go along with it.

Thanks for your input. As the pointy-haired moron, in this case, is a
client that requires certain security measures, there isn't much hope
in the short run.

I guess I'll just run into trouble (assuming no other feasible solution
exists) and wait and see what happens. No skin off my back and I
can just keep on getting temp admin privileges every day. Saga

Sun, 01 Jul 2012 06:37:32 GMT
 Access denied when creating ActiveX component

Quote:

>> You need to tell the pointed-haired moron that came up with that
>> plan, to do
>> a re-think. But they won't listen ... everyone basically has to
>> learn the hard way ... so just go along with it.

> Thanks for your input. As the pointy-haired moron, in this case, is a
> client that requires certain security measures, there isn't much hope
> in the short run.

> I guess I'll just run into trouble (assuming no other feasible
> solution exists) and wait and see what happens. No skin off my back
> and I
> can just keep on getting temp admin privileges every day. Saga

That alone will likely do it. My primary client for years (and still off and
on) is the most paranoid company on the planet. Every  couple of years, they
do practically the same thing - a blanket shutdown. Luckily they value the
dollar. So it only lasts a couple of months until they see a hit on
productivity.

They are however rough on vendors - as they don't give a damn about *their*
bottom line. <g>

-ralph

Sun, 01 Jul 2012 08:34:30 GMT
 Access denied when creating ActiveX component
Generally Power Users can do a lot of things, like installing software, but
two things I know of that Power Users can't do and Admins can are:

1 - Install or remove services.
2 - Having enough privileges to queue files to be replaced or deleted on the
next reboot.

I am not sure why you get ActiveX problems, perhaps they enforced some
security policy. Try using "dcomcnfg" tool to see what permissions are set
for the ActiveX component. Search the registry for the component's GUID
because the tool doesn't show components by name for some components, like
the ones created by VB.

Sun, 01 Jul 2012 09:12:33 GMT
 Access denied when creating ActiveX component

[...]

Quote:
>I suspect that it is trying to read some part of the registry that is limited
>to admin users.

They'll have to give you *write* permissions for the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
registry hive at least if I'm not mistaken.

HTH,
Wolfgang

Sun, 01 Jul 2012 09:39:29 GMT
 Access denied when creating ActiveX component
Thanks for your input all, much appreciated! Saga

Mon, 02 Jul 2012 04:59:57 GMT

1. Compile Error: Permission Denied with my own ActiveX component

2. Error 429: ActiveX component can't create component

3. ActiveX component can't create component

4. help ActiveX Error : ActiveX component can't create object

5. ActiveX Error : ActiveX component can't create object

6. Permission denied when creating ActiveX EXE object

7. Access Denied while test activex exe

8. ActiveX Doc: Access Denied error

9. ActiveX Designer Access Denied

10. Access Denied while creating an object

11. Access Denied when creating OCA, from a OCX

12. ActiveX Component Can't Create Object