ODBC driver error with Visual Foxpro Version 9
Author Message
 ODBC driver error with Visual Foxpro Version 9

We have a VB6 application that works fine up to version 6 when using
Microsoft Visual Foxpro driver (6.01.8629.01) to connect to a .dbf file .
With Visual Foxpro version 9 (driver version 1.00.02.00) run on XP it gives
the error message:
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function.  Is
this the problem with the new odbc driver or something else? If true, how to
fix it without moving to OLEDB.

Thanks in advance for help
Vanny

Tue, 08 May 2012 04:07:53 GMT
 ODBC driver error with Visual Foxpro Version 9

Quote:
> We have a VB6 application that works fine up to version 6 when using
> Microsoft Visual Foxpro driver (6.01.8629.01) to connect to a .dbf file .
> With Visual Foxpro version 9 (driver version 1.00.02.00) run on XP it
> gives the error message:
> [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function.
> Is this the problem with the new odbc driver or something else? If true,
> how to fix it without moving to OLEDB.

Not enough information. What error code or line that generated the error? I
am not familiar with Foxpro ODBC driver, but if this is happening when you
open the connection, check out the connection string, maybe there is
something in it that is no longer supported.

Also, try searching MSKB for "Foxpro ODBC driver 9.0" and similar words.

Tue, 08 May 2012 05:48:17 GMT
 ODBC driver error with Visual Foxpro Version 9

Quote:
> We have a VB6 application that works fine up to version 6 when using
> Microsoft Visual Foxpro driver (6.01.8629.01) to connect to a .dbf file .
> With Visual Foxpro version 9 (driver version 1.00.02.00) run on XP it
gives
> the error message:
> [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function.
Is
> this the problem with the new odbc driver or something else? If true, how
> fix it without moving to OLEDB.

Not much help, but here goes ....

AFAIK MS, in general, pulled-the-plug with older FoxPro file versions,
similar xBase databases, and with ODBC, with its newer Fox Pro Drivers. And
unfortunately the only solution generally offered is to migrate to OLE DB.

However, you mentioned "connect to a .dbf file"? If you are not actually
using FoxPro file versions greater than 6, then there are plenty of
alternative DBF ODBC drivers out there. Some free, some expensive. Or just
continue to use the older driver.

hth
-ralph

Tue, 08 May 2012 06:14:53 GMT
 ODBC driver error with Visual Foxpro Version 9
Thank for your response.  Our users have Visual Foxpro 9 driver and software
installed in their machines. Like you mention, we notice that the new ODBC
driver that comes with Version 9, does not function as the old one even it
has the same name (Microsoft Visual Foxpro driver ).  I could make the
application work by applying the VFPODBC.msi which put  the driver back to
6.01.8629.01 version.  My question is :  could this old driver harms the
other functions of VPF9??

Thanks
Vanny

Quote:

>> We have a VB6 application that works fine up to version 6 when using
>> Microsoft Visual Foxpro driver (6.01.8629.01) to connect to a .dbf file .
>> With Visual Foxpro version 9 (driver version 1.00.02.00) run on XP it
> gives
>> the error message:
>> [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function.
> Is
>> this the problem with the new odbc driver or something else? If true, how
>> fix it without moving to OLEDB.

> Not much help, but here goes ....

> AFAIK MS, in general, pulled-the-plug with older FoxPro file versions,
> similar xBase databases, and with ODBC, with its newer Fox Pro Drivers.
> And
> unfortunately the only solution generally offered is to migrate to OLE DB.

> However, you mentioned "connect to a .dbf file"? If you are not actually
> using FoxPro file versions greater than 6, then there are plenty of
> alternative DBF ODBC drivers out there. Some free, some expensive. Or just
> continue to use the older driver.

> hth
> -ralph

Wed, 09 May 2012 00:49:02 GMT
 ODBC driver error with Visual Foxpro Version 9
The error happened when open the connection.  Here is the piece of code

        cnnDBF.Open "Driver=Microsoft Visual Foxpro Driver; " & _
          "UID=;SourceType=DBF;" & _
          "SourceDB=" & pstrFileName
I try to find the info how to change the code to work with VFP version 9
driver or what file should be added along ?

Thanks,

Vanny

Quote:

>> We have a VB6 application that works fine up to version 6 when using
>> Microsoft Visual Foxpro driver (6.01.8629.01) to connect to a .dbf file .
>> With Visual Foxpro version 9 (driver version 1.00.02.00) run on XP it
>> gives the error message:
>> [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function.
>> Is this the problem with the new odbc driver or something else? If true,
>> how to fix it without moving to OLEDB.

> Not enough information. What error code or line that generated the error?
> I am not familiar with Foxpro ODBC driver, but if this is happening when
> you open the connection, check out the connection string, maybe there is
> something in it that is no longer supported.

> Also, try searching MSKB for "Foxpro ODBC driver 9.0" and similar words.

Wed, 09 May 2012 00:58:49 GMT
 ODBC driver error with Visual Foxpro Version 9

Quote:
> The error happened when open the connection.  Here is the piece of code

>        cnnDBF.Open "Driver=Microsoft Visual Foxpro Driver; " & _
>          "UID=;SourceType=DBF;" & _
>          "SourceDB=" & pstrFileName
> I try to find the info how to change the code to work with VFP version 9
> driver or what file should be added along ?

See:

OLE DB Provider for Visual FoxPro
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0xzsac67(VS.71).aspx

Wed, 09 May 2012 01:14:42 GMT
 ODBC driver error with Visual Foxpro Version 9

Quote:
> Thank for your response.  Our users have Visual Foxpro 9 driver and
software
> installed in their machines. Like you mention, we notice that the new ODBC
> driver that comes with Version 9, does not function as the old one even it
> has the same name (Microsoft Visual Foxpro driver ).  I could make the
> application work by applying the VFPODBC.msi which put  the driver back to
> 6.01.8629.01 version.  ...
> ... My question is :  could this old driver harms the
> other functions of VPF9??

Yes. Assuming "harms" means break the ability to work with version 9 files.
None of the new features would be available, as well as several "older"
features have slightly different behaviors and requirements.

I was not suggesting you *replace* the VFP9 Driver, but supply the VFP6 ODBC
driver as well. You can have both available. I only made that suggestion
when it appeared you were using the driver to access DBF or xBase files and
were dependent on ODBC as the connectivity layer.

You can use the newer driver to connect to older versions of FoxPro, as well
as provide a connectivity layer for most data access libraries. Therefore,
*why* do you want to avoid OLE DB? Or why is it important to use an ODBC
driver?

-ralph
[You might also post to a FoxPro newsgroup. You will find people far more
experienced with VFP than I, plus many have struggled with this switch
already.]

Wed, 09 May 2012 01:36:07 GMT
 ODBC driver error with Visual Foxpro Version 9

We have a VB6 application that works fine up to version 6 when using
Microsoft Visual Foxpro driver (6.01.8629.01) to connect to a .dbf file .
With Visual Foxpro version 9 (driver version 1.00.02.00) run on XP it gives
the error message:
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function.  Is
this the problem with the new odbc driver or something else? If true, how to
fix it without moving to OLEDB.

Thanks in advance for help
Vanny

I would highly recommend switching to the Visual FoxPro OLEDB Provider as Nobody suggested. The 6.0
version of the ODBC driver is no longer supported.

You could also try the Visual FoxPro forum but I suspect they will tell you the same thing.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visualfoxprogeneral/thr...

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wed, 09 May 2012 03:02:10 GMT
 ODBC driver error with Visual Foxpro Version 9
I would like also to have both drivers installed in the same machine,
however when I run VFPODBC.msi  it replaces the new one with the version 6
b/c they both have the same name for vfpodbc.dll.

The reason we do not want to change to OLEDB b/c we do not want to release a
new code now but find a quick way to allow customers with VFP9 to also run
the job.

I will look for more info in the Foxpro newsgroup.

Thanks again for suggestion
Vanny

Quote:

>> Thank for your response.  Our users have Visual Foxpro 9 driver and
> software
>> installed in their machines. Like you mention, we notice that the new
>> ODBC
>> driver that comes with Version 9, does not function as the old one even
>> it
>> has the same name (Microsoft Visual Foxpro driver ).  I could make the
>> application work by applying the VFPODBC.msi which put  the driver back
>> 6.01.8629.01 version.  ...

>> ... My question is :  could this old driver harms the
>> other functions of VPF9??

> Yes. Assuming "harms" means break the ability to work with version 9
> files.
> None of the new features would be available, as well as several "older"
> features have slightly different behaviors and requirements.

> I was not suggesting you *replace* the VFP9 Driver, but supply the VFP6
> ODBC
> driver as well. You can have both available. I only made that suggestion
> when it appeared you were using the driver to access DBF or xBase files
> and
> were dependent on ODBC as the connectivity layer.

> You can use the newer driver to connect to older versions of FoxPro, as
> well
> as provide a connectivity layer for most data access libraries. Therefore,
> *why* do you want to avoid OLE DB? Or why is it important to use an ODBC
> driver?

> -ralph
> [You might also post to a FoxPro newsgroup. You will find people far more
> experienced with VFP than I, plus many have struggled with this switch
> already.]

Wed, 09 May 2012 03:59:15 GMT
 ODBC driver error with Visual Foxpro Version 9

Quote:
> I would like also to have both drivers installed in the same machine,
> however when I run VFPODBC.msi  it replaces the new one with the version 6
> b/c they both have the same name for vfpodbc.dll.

> The reason we do not want to change to OLEDB b/c we do not want to release
> new code now but find a quick way to allow customers with VFP9 to also run
> the job.

> I will look for more info in the Foxpro newsgroup.

I'm not certain that the VFP9 OLEDB driver would require any radical code
changes to your code - it is "backward compatible" to a large degree. Have
you tried it?

Posting to a newsgroup where FoxPro users hang out is a good idea.

-ralph

Wed, 09 May 2012 04:11:22 GMT

1. [ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument value

2. Need help creating Fox 2.5 table via MS Visual FoxPro ODBC driver

3. [ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]SQL: Statement too long.

4. [ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument value

5. Sybase ASE ODBC driver ( version 3.50.00.10 ) and Crystal Reports 4.6 error

6. Help: Intersolv FoxPro ODBC Driver

7. Excel VBA/Macintosh/Q+E FoxPro ODBC driver

8. FoxPro ODBC Driver Shows Deleted Records

9. Need ODBC driver for FoxPro data

10. Oracle ODBC driver / Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle

11. Unable to connect using Visual FoxPro driver when quote is in path

12. IRowsetIndex Support in Visual FoxPro OleDB driver