Strange VB6 IDE crash
Author Message
 Strange VB6 IDE crash

On my old dev machine vb6 started crashing with window's 'Were sorry...'
message.  This began about 6 months ago. Now this was a well used workhorse
machine that had plenty of junk installed and uninstalled over the years,
and occasionally I would get the BSOD when I would wake it in the morning.
So I figured time to upgrade.

Now I have a shinny, clean install with minimal junk, and to my surprise,
vb6 still crashes just like before,

This occurs after after about 30 to 45 minutes of opening a project.  I
mainly work on 2 or 3 large projects, but I've had it crash on simple
little test projects consisting of a single form.

It does not seem to have a pattern, and I can go days without a crash, and
other times it will crash 4 or 5 times a day.

It's mostly an inconvenience, as I save almost after each line of code.  I
have a nervous habit of "alt-f-s' when I'm thinking.

So here are the facts.

I have used the same machine for years and my coding habits and projects
have not changed.  Then it started crashing in vb6.

I get a new clean build machine, same projects and coding habits, and I get
the same crash.

I do not have to compile or run the code, it has crashed while editing
code.  As stated, it has crashed on very small simple projects also.

I do very normal, low risk stuff, no hooks or sub classing, no owner drawn
anything.

My OS is XP Pro (I opted out of '7' just so I would have no compatibility
problems.)

Because the machine is totally different I'm excluding hardware issues.

That leaves...what?  New machine, new main board, cpu, ram, device drivers.

I guess it could be some common software I've installed, or some common OS
component (IE8? :o).  I'm at a loss.

kpg

Tue, 30 Oct 2012 23:43:40 GMT
 Strange VB6 IDE crash
The message you are reporting...is vague.  Are you talking about a GPF error message?  If so, what library is the fault occuring in?  Any service packs installed?

--
2025
If you do not believe in time travel,

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43606237254
:
[...]

Wed, 31 Oct 2012 02:26:40 GMT
 Strange VB6 IDE crash

Quote:

>Now I have a shinny, clean install with minimal junk, and to my surprise,
>vb6 still crashes just like before,

Could be an addin causing it.

Disable all your addins and see if that helps and then add them back one a time until the
culprit is obvious.

-mhd

Wed, 31 Oct 2012 04:37:37 GMT
 Strange VB6 IDE crash

Quote:
> The message you are reporting...is vague.  Are you talking about a GPF
> error message?  If so, what library is the fault occuring in?  Any
> service packs installed?

Geez guys, sorry about this.  I had a known problem with a third party
ActiveX and I just didn't put 2 and 2 together.  Problem is after about 15
minutes of unloading the AX I get the crash, so there is a disconnect
between the action to the consequences.  I'm currently working with them on
the issue.  I have it resolved in production by just not releasing the AX,
but in debug mode I start and stop all the time (stopping unloads the AX
starting the 'timer' on the upcoming crash).

Well, you did help, as I was attempting to reproduce the crash to get the
exact error message, when it did crash it suddenly struck me that the
pattern was exactly the same as for the AX crash.  Commented out some code
and I've been crash free all morning.

Sat, 03 Nov 2012 00:12:55 GMT

1. VB6 crashes on exit of IDE

2. VB6 IDE Crashes When Using Internet Functions?

3. VB6 IDE BUG, Crash with Double Click

4. auto-list members crashes VB6 ide

5. VB6 SP5 IDE Crash

6. VB6 SP5 IDE Crashing when opening form (IPF)

7. Reproducible IDE crash in VB6 SP4/SP5

8. VB6 EXE crash, with IDE OK. Event sink in VM60.dll

9. VB6 IDE crashes when reference local DLL that uses a remote MTS DLL

10. VB6 IDE crashing

11. Flash 10 OCX update causing System Error crash in vb6 IDE

12. VB6 IDE Crashes on Design Mode