What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?
Author Message
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Can someone please tell me what it does for sendkeys with the following CHRs?

Chr(188)
Chr(189)
Chr(190)
Chr(191)

Many thanks!

Wed, 26 Oct 2011 05:42:05 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?
The first three are the ASCII (actually, to be technically correct, ANSI)
codes for the characters 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4... the last one seems to be an
upside down question mark.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Quote:
> Can someone please tell me what it does for sendkeys with the following
> CHRs?

> Chr(188)
> Chr(189)
> Chr(190)
> Chr(191)

> Many thanks!

Wed, 26 Oct 2011 09:08:14 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:
> Can someone please tell me what it does for sendkeys with the following
> CHRs?

> Chr(188)
> Chr(189)
> Chr(190)
> Chr(191)

> Many thanks!

SendKeys is a complete and utter hack, 99% of the time I've seen it used
it's been a fairly simple task to remove it.

Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:09:50 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:
> Can someone please tell me what it does for sendkeys with the following
> CHRs?

> Chr(188)
> Chr(189)
> Chr(190)
> Chr(191)

> Many thanks!

Characters in the range 128 to 255 have different meaning based on the code
page of the system, so without the code page, it's impossible to tell what
characters they refer to. Call GetACP() to get the code page.

Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:46:23 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?
After determining the code page, go to "Code Pages - Windows" below to see
what the characters look like:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964653.aspx

VB came in a time when the OS wasn't Unicode(Windows 9x). VB keeps Strings
in Unicode internally, and when talking to GUI controls, API, File I/O(when
using String, not byte arrays), it auto converts strings to ANSI using the
default code page.

If you got Unicode controls on your form, such as from 3rd party, then no
conversion to ANSI is done, and characters 128-255 have fixed
representation. Here they are(see page 2 of the PDF):

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf

Sendkeys probably converts to ANSI, even if the target application is
Unicode. Windows in this case converts the characters back to Unicode
automatically.

More info:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb892890.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964652.aspx

Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:36:18 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?
Thanks very much, guys. Other then the VB Sendkeys function, what is the best
alternative to send a string to a particular named input box on a form a
webpage?
Quote:

> After determining the code page, go to "Code Pages - Windows" below to see
> what the characters look like:

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964653.aspx

> VB came in a time when the OS wasn't Unicode(Windows 9x). VB keeps Strings
> in Unicode internally, and when talking to GUI controls, API, File I/O(when
> using String, not byte arrays), it auto converts strings to ANSI using the
> default code page.

> If you got Unicode controls on your form, such as from 3rd party, then no
> conversion to ANSI is done, and characters 128-255 have fixed
> representation. Here they are(see page 2 of the PDF):

> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf

> Sendkeys probably converts to ANSI, even if the target application is
> Unicode. Windows in this case converts the characters back to Unicode
> automatically.

> More info:

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb892890.aspx
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964652.aspx

Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:46:00 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:

>> Can someone please tell me what it does for sendkeys with the following
>> CHRs?

>> Chr(188)
>> Chr(189)
>> Chr(190)
>> Chr(191)

>> Many thanks!

> Characters in the range 128 to 255 have different meaning based on the code
> page of the system, so without the code page, it's impossible to tell what
> characters they refer to. Call GetACP() to get the code page.

Nobody is on the ball! (I love being able to say that.)

Very recently I've had to adjust a program to handle the Japanese
version of Windows. Their default codepage did not recognise the bullets
(Chr$(149) or ChrW$(&H2022)) that I was using in various listboxes and
labels).

As he said, GetACP() allowed me to detect the codepage and make the
appropriate adjustments.

What a hassle. What took them so long to invent unicode?

Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:43:10 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:
> Thanks very much, guys. Other then the VB Sendkeys function, what is the
best
> alternative to send a string to a particular named input box on a form a
> webpage?

  The webpge has no connection to your program?
It might help if you explain more details, especially
since this question does not follow from your original
one.

   If the browser is a WebBrowser control you can access
the Document object.

   If the browser is IE you could write a BHO or you
can retrieve the Document object from the window
handle. (I've never tried that method for altering a
webpage, so I'm not sure about whether there are
security issues.)

  If it could be any browser that you're dealing with
then I'd guess that what you're doing is probably
your only option. What's more, the fact that the input
is named is not likely to be helpful. I don't think there's
any way to access the DOM of non-IE browsers.

(And of course there shouldn't be. A BHO or Browser
Extension is a great way to access Explorer folder windows
and IE, but it was an incredibly stupid idea on the part of
Microsoft to link those two things. It gives total read/write
access for all webpages in IE to any software that's installed.
That is, anyone who can install a BHO on the PC of anyone
ignorant enough to be using IE online has the ability to
completely control what that person finds online!)

 Also,  I seem to remember something about SendKeys not
working in Vista and that you have to use keybd_event instead.
Maybe someone else can clarify that.

Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:27:09 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Nobody certainly is on the ball! I'd just like to link to a free
sample chapter from Michael Kaplan's book on Internationalisation with
VB6. The chapter (and indeed the whole book) are well worth a read if
you are interested in this stuff

http://www.i18nwithvb.com/chapters/Chapter06_en.htm

Karl wrote an article about SendKeys failures on Vista, the article
includes some VB6 code to replace SendKeys on Vista

http://visualstudiomagazine.com/columns/article.aspx?editorialsid=2362

Fri, 28 Oct 2011 19:34:26 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:

> What a hassle. What took them so long to invent unicode?

Cultural ignorance.  Willful ignorance, in many cases.

+ Computing tech has historically been dominated by the USA

+ Many folks here literally *don't care* that other cultures exist

+ Some of them even think that American English was spoken
   2000 years ago in the Middle East

It's hard to reach that kind of stupid.

        Bob
--
even when it comes here from Europe, with an [MVP] stamp on it.

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 03:45:02 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?
Quote:

>> What a hassle. What took them so long to invent unicode?

> Cultural ignorance.  Willful ignorance, in many cases.

That's simply being (or at least pretending to be) ignorant of computing
history and the development of standards and the limitations of hardware
(most specifically, memory) and how those played into the development.

--

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 04:12:30 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:

>> What a hassle. What took them so long to invent unicode?

> Cultural ignorance.  Willful ignorance, in many cases.

> + Computing tech has historically been dominated by the USA

> + Many folks here literally *don't care* that other cultures exist

> + Some of them even think that American English was spoken
>    2000 years ago in the Middle East

> It's hard to reach that kind of stupid.

>    Bob

What a load of clap trap.  You know as well as I do it was the 1) low memory
conditions of early systems and 2) most systems were not connected.  There simply
wasn't a need for it in the early days of computing.  But, you know - any excuse to
dis the USA right?

--
Tom Shelton

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 04:20:54 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:

>> It's hard to reach that kind of stupid.

> But, you know - any excuse to dis the USA right?

Looked to me like he was "dissing" a specific segment of the USA -- namely, "that
kind of stupid" -- not the country itself.  What sort of bias leads to that
intepretation?
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 04:53:01 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:

--
Tom Shelton

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 05:09:26 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?
On Tue, 12 May 2009 12:45:02 -0700, Bob O`Bob

Quote:

>Cultural ignorance.  Willful ignorance, in many cases.
>+ Computing tech has historically been dominated by the USA
>+ Many folks here literally *don't care* that other cultures exist
>+ Some of them even think that American English was spoken
>   2000 years ago in the Middle East
>It's hard to reach that kind of stupid.

        Amen?

        J "Get a brain, morans" Seitz

    Jeremiah D. Seitz
    Omega Techware
    http://www.omegatechware.net

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 09:30:07 GMT

 [ 23 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. SendKeys {Chr(13)}

2. Help: I am having trouble with sendkeys

3. CHR vs CHR$

4. chr(10) and chr(13) in memofield gives |

5. Chr(10) & Chr(13)

6. Display chr$(30) & chr$(31)

7. Difference between chr(34) and chr(160)

8. Chr(10) and Chr(13) doesn't work

9. is carriage return chr(13) or chr(32)

10. INPUT OR READ TO STRIP CHR(10) AND CHR(13)

11. What is chr$(13) + chr$(10)

12. vbCRLF = chr(13) + chr(10)