What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?
Author Message
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

On Tue, 12 May 2009 14:09:26 -0700, Tom Shelton

Quote:

>>> But, you know - any excuse to dis the USA right?

>> Looked to me like he was "dissing" a specific segment of the USA -- namely, "that
>> kind of stupid" -- not the country itself.  What sort of bias leads to that
>> intepretation?

        This.

    Jeremiah D. Seitz
    Omega Techware
    http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 09:30:56 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:

>>> Looked to me like he was "dissing" a specific segment of the USA -- namely,
>>> "that
>>> kind of stupid" -- not the country itself.  What sort of bias leads to that
>>> intepretation?

> This.

Well yeah, it /was/ a rhetorical question, afterall.  ;-)
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 09:40:21 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?
On Tue, 12 May 2009 18:40:21 -0700, "Karl E. Peterson"

Quote:

>> This.

>Well yeah, it /was/ a rhetorical question, afterall.  ;-)

You know, it took me a little too long to get that. Time for bed.

Letterman: "So, how long have you been married?"
Celebrity: "Almost twelve years."
Letterman: "Oh, that'll change ..."

Good catch, Karl. :)

        J.
    Jeremiah D. Seitz
    Omega Techware
    http://www.omegatechware.net

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 12:34:56 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:

> Well yeah, it /was/ a rhetorical question, afterall.  ;-)

  Posting no content seems to be one of Tom's most
common responses. At first I thought he had trouble
with his email program. But then he never re-posts. So
I figure that maybe he thinks we can see his glaring,
indignant stare. :)

   Not that I don't agree with Tom. The "dissing the
USA" complaint seems a bit oversensitive, but I really
can't see the logic of blaming the lack of unicode on
ignorance. That's like asking why early cars didn't
have controls for handicapped people. They were too
busy just trying to get the darned thing to work!

+ Many folks here literally *don't care* that other cultures exist

   It might be more accurate to say they don't need
to care. When you live in Rome, what goes on in
the Celtic hinterlands simply doesn't have bearing
on your life. Now we have TV and we can see that
people are starving in Africa. But it's still pretty
abstract. It doesn't affect our lives directly. And I
haven't seen anyone posting links to Peace Corps-like
signup sites. So why the morality? If they have no
bread then let them eat unicode, right?  :)

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:59:39 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:

>   Not that I don't agree with Tom. The "dissing the
> USA" complaint seems a bit oversensitive, but I really
> can't see the logic of blaming the lack of unicode on
> ignorance.

I'll claim ignorance, myself, just about everytime I overlook the need for it.  It's
just not a part of my daily existence, such that I should care.

Quote:
>   It might be more accurate to say they don't need to care.

Bingo.  I know I should, but...
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Mon, 31 Oct 2011 07:15:41 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:

> Letterman: "So, how long have you been married?"
> Celebrity: "Almost twelve years."
> Letterman: "Oh, that'll change ..."

Heh, there ya go... <g>
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Mon, 31 Oct 2011 07:13:53 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:
> >   Not that I don't agree with Tom. The "dissing the
> > USA" complaint seems a bit oversensitive, but I really
> > can't see the logic of blaming the lack of unicode on
> > ignorance.

> I'll claim ignorance, myself, just about everytime
> I overlook the need for it.  It's
> just not a part of my daily existence, such that
> I should care.

   I was actually answering to the question of
why unicode wasn't invented in the beginning,
as the original standard.

   I'm with you, though, on the idea of adding
language support. I've never made a lot of money
on software. What I have made has been almost
all from Americans. And many people who speak
other languages, assuming they were going to
pay for software in the first place, are comfortable
using English-language software. I don't see where
anyone has a m{*filter*}obligation to write multi-lingual
software when they're not specifically being paid
for that. But for any heart-on-the-sleeve, ethno-philic,
"world community" tripper who wants to pay I'd be
happy to design new buttons that use international
symbols. (Then again, I suppose most of those people
are using Macs.... and they only want silly software....
Never mind. :)

Mon, 31 Oct 2011 21:02:58 GMT
 What is Sendkeys Chr(188)?

Quote:

> symbols. (Then again, I suppose most of those people
> are using Macs.... and they only want silly software....
> Never mind. :)

<chuckle>
--
.NET: It's About Trust!