Code to prevent multiple instances
Author Message
 Code to prevent multiple instances

I've tried to use App.PrevInstance to prevent the running of multiple
instances of a given test application.  The APP simply displays a form with a
black background and loops on App.PrevInstance; if App.PrevInstance = False
the APP displays blue in the background, and opens a MsgBox displaying the
initial run time and it's handle.

I launch the first instance and it displays a blue background, and the
MsgBox as it's the only instance running.  When I launch a second instance it
correctly displays a black background as it loops on App.PrevInstance = True,
because to first instance is still running; so far so good.  However, when I
click on the first instance and terminate it, the second instance keeps
displaying its black background, apparently still looping on App.PrevInstance
= True.  I would have thought that when the first instance terminated
App.PrevInstance would go False.  Anyone know what's wrong?

Here's the code:

Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim RunTime As Date

RunTime = Now
Form1.Show
Do
    DoEvents
Loop While App.PrevInstance = True

Form1.BackColor = &H8000000D ' Blue
Form1.Refresh
MsgBox "Time: " & RunTime & "  Handle: " & App.hInstance
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Click()
Unload Form1
End
End Sub

Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:27:01 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances
Just guessing here but from your results I'd guess the App.PrevInstance is
set when the program starts and not when it's called.
Use a Mutex, it's not very complicated and is far more reliable than
App.PrevInstance and you are in total control of what and when you get the
information.

Incidentally this:

Quote:
> Do
>    DoEvents
> Loop While App.PrevInstance = True

will max out your processor by testing a zillion times a second when about 5
times a second is more than adequate - Use a timer.

Another possibility is once your main app has been loaded, when another
instance is wanted let the first instance know so it can maintain a queue
then when it's finished whatever it's doing it can then go on to the next
queued task

Regards
Dave O.

Quote:
> I've tried to use App.PrevInstance to prevent the running of multiple
> instances of a given test application.  The APP simply displays a form
> with a
> black background and loops on App.PrevInstance; if App.PrevInstance =
> False
> the APP displays blue in the background, and opens a MsgBox displaying the
> initial run time and it's handle.

> I launch the first instance and it displays a blue background, and the
> MsgBox as it's the only instance running.  When I launch a second instance
> it
> correctly displays a black background as it loops on App.PrevInstance =
> True,
> because to first instance is still running; so far so good.  However, when
> click on the first instance and terminate it, the second instance keeps
> displaying its black background, apparently still looping on
> App.PrevInstance
> = True.  I would have thought that when the first instance terminated
> App.PrevInstance would go False.  Anyone know what's wrong?

> Here's the code:

> Private Sub Form_Load()
> Dim RunTime As Date

> RunTime = Now
> Form1.Show
> Do
>    DoEvents
> Loop While App.PrevInstance = True

> Form1.BackColor = &H8000000D ' Blue
> Form1.Refresh
> MsgBox "Time: " & RunTime & "  Handle: " & App.hInstance
> End Sub

> Private Sub Form_Click()
> Unload Form1
> End
> End Sub

Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:49:13 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the input.  I'm not familiar with Mutex, do you have any
examples, or references?

Regarding the App.PrevInstance, others on this forum suggested using it in a
loop; perhaps they never actually tried it.

By the way I normally do use timers in a loop, but this was just supposed to
be a simple test, that didn't work as expected.

X.

Quote:

> Just guessing here but from your results I'd guess the App.PrevInstance is
> set when the program starts and not when it's called.
> Use a Mutex, it's not very complicated and is far more reliable than
> App.PrevInstance and you are in total control of what and when you get the
> information.

> Incidentally this:
> > Do
> >    DoEvents
> > Loop While App.PrevInstance = True
> will max out your processor by testing a zillion times a second when about 5
> times a second is more than adequate - Use a timer.

> Another possibility is once your main app has been loaded, when another
> instance is wanted let the first instance know so it can maintain a queue
> then when it's finished whatever it's doing it can then go on to the next
> queued task

> Regards
> Dave O.

> > I've tried to use App.PrevInstance to prevent the running of multiple
> > instances of a given test application.  The APP simply displays a form
> > with a
> > black background and loops on App.PrevInstance; if App.PrevInstance =
> > False
> > the APP displays blue in the background, and opens a MsgBox displaying the
> > initial run time and it's handle.

> > I launch the first instance and it displays a blue background, and the
> > MsgBox as it's the only instance running.  When I launch a second instance
> > it
> > correctly displays a black background as it loops on App.PrevInstance =
> > True,
> > because to first instance is still running; so far so good.  However, when
> > click on the first instance and terminate it, the second instance keeps
> > displaying its black background, apparently still looping on
> > App.PrevInstance
> > = True.  I would have thought that when the first instance terminated
> > App.PrevInstance would go False.  Anyone know what's wrong?

> > Here's the code:

> > Private Sub Form_Load()
> > Dim RunTime As Date

> > RunTime = Now
> > Form1.Show
> > Do
> >    DoEvents
> > Loop While App.PrevInstance = True

> > Form1.BackColor = &H8000000D ' Blue
> > Form1.Refresh
> > MsgBox "Time: " & RunTime & "  Handle: " & App.hInstance
> > End Sub

> > Private Sub Form_Click()
> > Unload Form1
> > End
> > End Sub

Sun, 11 Mar 2012 22:18:02 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances

Quote:
> Hi Dave,

> Thanks for the input.  I'm not familiar with Mutex, do you have any
> examples, or references?

<sarcasm> Ever heard of Google</sarcsm>
try:
http://www.mvps.org/vbvision/Sample_Projects.htm#App_Activate_Demo

Important note, a Mutex will fail in the IDE as it's applied to the
executable so in the IDE it's applied to the IDE itself and not what's
running on the IDE.

Have you considered a queue? that way you keep the information about pending
jobs all together. You would need some way of sending a message from one
instance to another but there are lot's of interesting ways to do that.
Another possability is a seperate marshalling application which takes
control of all your programs and launches them in the corerect sequence.
There a loads of ways to achieve your ends, don't get stuck on thinking your
curent solution is the only way, it could turn out to be the best solution
but without considering others you'll never know.

Dave O.

Quote:
> [...]

>> > True,
>> > because to first instance is still running; so far so good.  However,
>> > when
>> > click on the first instance and terminate it, the second instance keeps
>> > displaying its black background, apparently still looping on
>> > App.PrevInstance
>> > = True.  I would have thought that when the first instance terminated
>> > App.PrevInstance would go False.  Anyone know what's wrong?

>> > Here's the code:

>> > Private Sub Form_Load()
>> > Dim RunTime As Date

>> > RunTime = Now
>> > Form1.Show
>> > Do
>> >    DoEvents
>> > Loop While App.PrevInstance = True

>> > Form1.BackColor = &H8000000D ' Blue
>> > Form1.Refresh
>> > MsgBox "Time: " & RunTime & "  Handle: " & App.hInstance

Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:06:31 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances
<sarcasm> Google? Evil, I have heard of the MSDN however <\sarcasm>

Public Sub main()

Dim owned As Boolean
Dim mut As New System.Threading.Mutex(True, "xvcjsdf67AS124#$3", owned)
If owned Then
Application.Run(New Form1)
mut.ReleaseMutex()
Else
MessageBox.Show("A previous instance is already running")
End If
End Sub

Quote:

> > Hi Dave,

> > Thanks for the input.  I'm not familiar with Mutex, do you have any
> > examples, or references?

> <sarcasm> Ever heard of Google</sarcsm>
> try:
> http://www.mvps.org/vbvision/Sample_Projects.htm#App_Activate_Demo

> Important note, a Mutex will fail in the IDE as it's applied to the
> executable so in the IDE it's applied to the IDE itself and not what's
> running on the IDE.

> Have you considered a queue? that way you keep the information about pending
> jobs all together. You would need some way of sending a message from one
> instance to another but there are lot's of interesting ways to do that.
> Another possability is a seperate marshalling application which takes
> control of all your programs and launches them in the corerect sequence.
> There a loads of ways to achieve your ends, don't get stuck on thinking your
> curent solution is the only way, it could turn out to be the best solution
> but without considering others you'll never know.

> Dave O.

> > Regarding the App.PrevInstance, others on this forum suggested using it in
> > loop; perhaps they never actually tried it.

> > By the way I normally do use timers in a loop, but this was just supposed
> > be a simple test, that didn't work as expected.

> > X.

> >> Just guessing here but from your results I'd guess the App.PrevInstance
> >> is
> >> set when the program starts and not when it's called.
> >> Use a Mutex, it's not very complicated and is far more reliable than
> >> App.PrevInstance and you are in total control of what and when you get
> >> the
> >> information.

> >> Incidentally this:
> >> will max out your processor by testing a zillion times a second when
> >> about 5
> >> times a second is more than adequate - Use a timer.

> >> Another possibility is once your main app has been loaded, when another
> >> instance is wanted let the first instance know so it can maintain a queue
> >> then when it's finished whatever it's doing it can then go on to the next
> >> queued task

> >> Regards
> >> Dave O.

Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:42:01 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances

Talking about "evil" that code looks rather like .NET, which is really evil.
This forum is for VB6, if you are using a later language any code presented
here might not work.

If you are a .NET user I suggest you head to one or more of:
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb.upgrade
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb.controls
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb.data
microsoft.public.dotnet.general
microsoft.public.vsnet.general

If however you are a VB6 user, the code you posted will not work.

Regards
Dave O.

Quote:
> <sarcasm> Google? Evil, I have heard of the MSDN however <\sarcasm>

> Public Sub main()

> Dim owned As Boolean
> Dim mut As New System.Threading.Mutex(True, "xvcjsdf67AS124#$3", owned)
> If owned Then
> Application.Run(New Form1)
> mut.ReleaseMutex()
> Else
> MessageBox.Show("A previous instance is already running")
> End If
> End Sub

>> > Hi Dave,

>> > Thanks for the input.  I'm not familiar with Mutex, do you have any
>> > examples, or references?

>> <sarcasm> Ever heard of Google</sarcsm>
>> try:
>> http://www.mvps.org/vbvision/Sample_Projects.htm#App_Activate_Demo

>> Important note, a Mutex will fail in the IDE as it's applied to the
>> executable so in the IDE it's applied to the IDE itself and not what's
>> running on the IDE.

>> Have you considered a queue? that way you keep the information about
>> pending
>> jobs all together. You would need some way of sending a message from one
>> instance to another but there are lot's of interesting ways to do that.
>> Another possability is a seperate marshalling application which takes
>> control of all your programs and launches them in the corerect sequence.
>> There a loads of ways to achieve your ends, don't get stuck on thinking
>> your
>> curent solution is the only way, it could turn out to be the best
>> solution
>> but without considering others you'll never know.

>> Dave O.

>> > Regarding the App.PrevInstance, others on this forum suggested using it
>> > in
>> > loop; perhaps they never actually tried it.

>> > By the way I normally do use timers in a loop, but this was just
>> > supposed
>> > be a simple test, that didn't work as expected.

>> > X.

Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:52:07 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances

Quote:

>> Hi Dave,

>> Thanks for the input.  I'm not familiar with Mutex, do you have any
>> examples, or references?

><sarcasm> Ever heard of Google</sarcsm>
>try:
>http://www.mvps.org/vbvision/Sample_Projects.htm#App_Activate_Demo

>Important note, a Mutex will fail in the IDE as it's applied to the
>executable so in the IDE it's applied to the IDE itself and not what's
>running on the IDE.

My experience is: it works in the IDE _BUT_ if you "End" your program
when testing (instead of Unloading (where you can free the Mutex)),
that Mutex will prevent you from restarting you app in the IDE.

To clear the Mutex, you have to shutdown VB6 then restart it to rerun
your project.

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Earned.
Navid, explorer

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 05:29:37 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances

Quote:

> others on this forum suggested using it in a
> loop; perhaps they never actually tried it.

Point of order.  This is *not* a forum.  It's a newsgroup.  If it appears to you as
a forum, then someone is attempting to earn money from your eyeballs.  Get a real
newsreader, if you want to use newsgroups.  But out the ad-men.
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 06:32:00 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances

Quote:
> I've tried to use App.PrevInstance to prevent the running of multiple
> instances of a given test application.  The APP simply displays a form
with a
> black background and loops on App.PrevInstance; if App.PrevInstance =
False
> the APP displays blue in the background, and opens a MsgBox displaying the
> initial run time and it's handle.

> I launch the first instance and it displays a blue background, and the
> MsgBox as it's the only instance running.  When I launch a second instance
it
> correctly displays a black background as it loops on App.PrevInstance =
True,
> because to first instance is still running; so far so good.  However, when
> click on the first instance and terminate it, the second instance keeps
> displaying its black background, apparently still looping on
App.PrevInstance
> = True.  I would have thought that when the first instance terminated
> App.PrevInstance would go False.  Anyone know what's wrong?

> Here's the code:

> Private Sub Form_Load()
> Dim RunTime As Date

> RunTime = Now
> Form1.Show
> Do
>     DoEvents
> Loop While App.PrevInstance = True

> Form1.BackColor = &H8000000D ' Blue
> Form1.Refresh
> MsgBox "Time: " & RunTime & "  Handle: " & App.hInstance
> End Sub

> Private Sub Form_Click()
> Unload Form1
> End
> End Sub

Paraphasing Dave O, it looks like what you really need is for L to check for
a previous instance and if so - activate the existing instance, if not -
launch a new one. Something similar to how MS Word works with a, b, or c
requesting unique documents.

-ralph

Sun, 11 Mar 2012 22:02:11 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances
About this question, I'm not sure what xytsrm is trying to do, but I
guess that an app must perform some processing for other apps.
And he wants to perform the processes in the order they have been called.

My idea in that case, is to always shell the main app with the
parameters it needs to process, and if it's already running another
instance, this temporary instance sends the parameters to the existing
instance and it puts them in a queue in the order they arrived for later
processing.
(Something that I think that Dave O already said)

So, the issue is how to send the parameters to the existing instance.
There are several ways, but all quite complex.
Perhaps the simplest is this one:
http://www.vbaccelerator.com/codelib/ssubtmr/startup.htm
But it's still complex since it requires subclassing.

Ok, I come with another idea:
This is the test program:
(let me know if you think there is something wrong with it)

' In order for this code to work,
' Form1 must be always loaded

Option Explicit

Private Declare Function GetDesktopWindow Lib _
     "user32" () As Long
Private Declare Function GetProp Lib "user32" Alias _
     "GetPropA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpString _
     As String) As Long
Private Declare Function SetProp Lib "user32" Alias _
     "SetPropA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpString _
     As String, ByVal hData As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function RemoveProp Lib "user32" Alias _
     "RemovePropA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpString _
     As String) As Long
Private Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32" Alias _
     "SendMessageA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal wMsg As _
     Long, ByVal wParam As Long, lParam As Any) As Long
Private Declare Function IsWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal _
     hwnd As Long) As Long

Private Const WM_SETTEXT = &HC

Private WithEvents txtM As TextBox

Private Sub Form_Load()
     Dim iMsg As String
     Dim iTxtHwnd As Long

     iTxtHwnd = GetProp(GetDesktopWindow, "txtMsgI")
     If iTxtHwnd <> 0 Then
         If IsWindow(iTxtHwnd) Then
             iMsg = InputBox("Write the message " _
             & "to send to the other instance", _
             "Message to other instance")
             SendMessage iTxtHwnd, WM_SETTEXT, 0&, ByVal iMsg
             End
         End If
     End If

     Set txtM = Controls.Add("VB.TextBox", "txtMsgI")
     SetProp GetDesktopWindow, "txtMsgI", txtM.hwnd
End Sub

     RemoveProp GetDesktopWindow, "txtMsgI"
End Sub

Private Sub txtM_Change()
     MsgBox txtM.Text & " received"
End Sub

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 08:39:03 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances

| I've tried to use App.PrevInstance to prevent the running of multiple
| instances of a given test application.  The APP simply displays a form
with a
| black background and loops on App.PrevInstance; if App.PrevInstance =
False
| the APP displays blue in the background, and opens a MsgBox displaying the
| initial run time and it's handle.

I've used this http://vb.mvps.org/samples/PrevInst/ (in combo with
http://vb.mvps.org/samples/HookXP)

It's awesome in that in addition to detering multiple instances, it'll send
data from the prev instance to the running instance in case command line
work is involved.  Very cutting edge stuff.

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 08:51:13 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances

Quote:

>> others on this forum suggested using it in a
>> loop; perhaps they never actually tried it.

> Point of order.  This is *not* a forum.  It's a newsgroup.  If it appears
> to you as a forum, then someone is attempting to earn money from your
> eyeballs.  Get a real newsreader, if you want to use newsgroups.  But out
> the ad-men.
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Forum:
"A public meeting or assembly for open discussion "
"A forum or message board, is an online discussion site. It is the modern
equivalent of a traditional bulletin board, and a technological evolution of
the dialup bulletin board system"
"Several shopping malls: Bhowanipore (India), Norwich (UK), Helsinki
(Finland) etc.
"An {*filter*} magazine from the publishers of Penthouse"

Nothing about charging or adverti{*filter*}ts there (except for the magazine).

You may have some conventions about the terminology newsgroup/forum but in
my experience the two are interchangeable.

Regards

Dave O.

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:26:05 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances
All the mutexes, messaging and subclasses is great stuff. But if
xytsrm is just queuing up work to be done out of process, then he/she
could just create an ActiveX server exe to do the work. If the work
must be submitted through the command-line, there could be a separate
program to provide a command-line wrapper for the ActiveX call. Might
be easier?

Just my 5 farthings worth. And anyway, xytsrm, are you still here or
have you gone to a .NET newsgroup? (sorry, online-communication-portal)

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:52:39 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances
> You may have some conventions about the terminology newsgroup/forum but in
> my experience the two are interchangeable.

That would be a mistaken conception...

 From wikipedia introductory article --

Quote:
> Usenet is one of the oldest computer network communications systems
> still in widespread use...publicly established in 1980 ... over
> a decade before the World Wide Web was developed ...
> Newsgroups are typically accessed with special client software that
> connects to a news server. With the rise of the World Wide Web, web[-based]
> front-ends have become more common. ...
> Google Groups is one ... web based front

> protocol links directly.[8] There are numerous other websites now
> offering web based gateways to Usenet groups...

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Introduction>

The real skinny behind usenet/nntp RFC 1036--
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1036>

--

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:49:05 GMT
 Code to prevent multiple instances

>> You may have some conventions about the terminology newsgroup/forum but
>> in my experience the two are interchangeable.

> That would be a mistaken conception...

> From wikipedia introductory article --

>> Usenet is one of the oldest computer network communications systems
>> still in widespread use...publicly established in 1980 ... over
>> a decade before the World Wide Web was developed ...
>> Newsgroups are typically accessed with special client software that
>> connects to a news server. With the rise of the World Wide Web,
>> web[-based]
>> front-ends have become more common. ...
>> Google Groups is one ... web based front

>> protocol links directly.[8] There are numerous other websites now
>> offering web based gateways to Usenet groups...

Note the word "typically" and the non-mentioning of the word "forum". That
article (or at least your extract) does not contradict my contention.
Besides you can't use Wikipedia as reliable source.

Anyway how the hell can you say my conception of my experience is wrong, you
have no way to know the extent or limit of any of my experiences? "Mistaken
opinion" would have been a reasonable statement but not what you said.

Dave O.

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:15:23 GMT

 [ 20 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Graham Mandeno's code to prevent multiple instances

2. Prevent Multiple Instances?

3. Preventing Multiple Instances of Excel

4. Preventing multiple instance

5. Preventing multiple instances of shelling Notepad in VB

6. preventing multiple instances of my application

7. Prevent multiple instances of an application

8. Preventing Multiple Instances of an Application

9. Newbie Question- Preventing multiple instances of a program from loading

10. Preventing Multiple Instances, But still opening File? (hard)

11. Preventing multiple instances of Visual Basic forms in an mdi window

12. How to prevent multiple instances of a shell program