Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?
Author Message
 Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?

Hello,

I have recently had problems with the VB6 IDE crashing for no apparent
reason.  The only major change to my system is that I have installed Windows
XP Service Pack 3.  I have one particular application that will simply close
the IDE and give no errors.  I have another application that generates an
error that VB6 unexpectedly caused and error and will be closed.  Neither of
these instances generate an event log.  I do not have Windows Firewall turned
on and I have Visual Studio Service Pack 6 installed.

Has anyone else had any problems?

Thanks,

Sun, 12 Dec 2010 03:31:01 GMT
 Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?

> I have recently had problems with the VB6 IDE crashing for no apparent
> reason.  The only major change to my system is that I have installed Windows
> XP Service Pack 3.  ...
> ... I do not have Windows Firewall turned
> on and I have Visual Studio Service Pack 6 installed.

> Has anyone else had any problems?

Can't say, I'm at SP2.

Two suggestions...

First, get latest of whatever anti-virus package you use and run it and
see it finds anything fixable then try VB again for a while.

If not, try the rollback of SP3.

--

Sun, 12 Dec 2010 06:29:48 GMT
 Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?

Quote:
> Hello,

> I have recently had problems with the VB6 IDE crashing for no apparent
> reason.  The only major change to my system is that I have installed
> Windows
> XP Service Pack 3.  I have one particular application that will simply
> close
> the IDE and give no errors.  I have another application that generates an
> error that VB6 unexpectedly caused and error and will be closed.  Neither
> of
> these instances generate an event log.  I do not have Windows Firewall
> turned
> on and I have Visual Studio Service Pack 6 installed.

> Has anyone else had any problems?

Not that this is a whole lot of help for you, but I've got 2 virtual PCs
which I've updated to WinXP SP3 (from SP2) and have had no problems with VB6
itself or apps created with VB6.

Even in order to speculate, however, we'd need to know more details about
these 2 apps. For example, do they use any features or components that SP3
updates?  Does the problem only occur within the IDE or do the compiled apps
also cause these crashes? Can you install these same apps to another PC that
does NOT have SP3 installed?  If so, do the apps still crash? If you don't
have Virtual PC, you might want to consider getting it because it's GREAT
for helping with these kinds of things.  You can download it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default...

There are also other similar programs from vendors besides MS. Virtual PC
2007 is free; however, you DO need a legitimate license for the OS and any
software you install on the VPC because for all intents and purposes, the
virtual PC *is* another computer. Windows itself is not much of an issue for
anything short-term. Simply don't activate it. Installing VB6 on multiple
VPCs isn't an issue at all (although legally I suppose you SHOULD have
licenses for VB6 for each VPC on which you install it). Other software
depends. Best to check with the software's publisher/manufacturer.  For any
software that requires "activation", you could have problems and have to buy
another license to use that software on the VPC.

I find it interesting that you mentioned Windows Firewall. That's not
something that I, for one, would give much consideration to unless my app
was doing something with Windows Firewall (trying to grant itself access to
a certain port or whatever). Yet, you thought enough of it to explicitly
mention you had Windows Firewall turned off. Why?

You might have to have your app write to its own event log...including line
numbers in your app and logging each line number that executes. It might be
overkill to actually log each and every line of code...at least at first.
But sometimes, that's what you have to do to solve these kinds of issues. If
you do have to resort to that kind of logging, it should ONLY be in a
special debug version of your app. Once you've determined the issue and
corrected it (if you can), you need to remove this level of logging because
it can seriously detract from performance. For debugging purposes,
performance is not the goal.  Finding and fixing the problem is the goal.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP Visual Basic

Sun, 12 Dec 2010 07:57:48 GMT
 Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?

Quote:

> Hello,

> I have recently had problems with the VB6 IDE crashing for no apparent
> reason.  The only major change to my system is that I have installed Windows
> XP Service Pack 3.  I have one particular application that will simply close
> the IDE and give no errors.  I have another application that generates an
> error that VB6 unexpectedly caused and error and will be closed.  Neither of
> these instances generate an event log.  I do not have Windows Firewall turned
> on and I have Visual Studio Service Pack 6 installed.

> Has anyone else had any problems?

> Thanks,

This behavior is by design.  The VB6 IDE is no longer supported.
Please contact Microsoft Sales for an upgrade to VB.NET.

Sun, 12 Dec 2010 08:59:36 GMT
 Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?
Sounds like it is an IDE problem.
So, open the IDE.
Go to AddIn manager and uncheck all.
Try running again.
Maybe restart IDE after addins are off.
If this works, then put in addins one by one and see which one cause the
problem.

Quote:
> Hello,

> I have recently had problems with the VB6 IDE crashing for no apparent
> reason.  The only major change to my system is that I have installed
> Windows
> XP Service Pack 3.  I have one particular application that will simply
> close
> the IDE and give no errors.  I have another application that generates an
> error that VB6 unexpectedly caused and error and will be closed.  Neither
> of
> these instances generate an event log.  I do not have Windows Firewall
> turned
> on and I have Visual Studio Service Pack 6 installed.

> Has anyone else had any problems?

> Thanks,

Sun, 12 Dec 2010 09:50:28 GMT
 Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?

Quote:

>> Hello,

>> I have recently had problems with the VB6 IDE crashing for no apparent
>> reason.  The only major change to my system is that I have installed Windows
>> XP Service Pack 3.  I have one particular application that will simply close
>> the IDE and give no errors.  I have another application that generates an
>> error that VB6 unexpectedly caused and error and will be closed.  Neither of
>> these instances generate an event log.  I do not have Windows Firewall turned
>> on and I have Visual Studio Service Pack 6 installed.

>> Has anyone else had any problems?

>> Thanks,

>This behavior is by design.  The VB6 IDE is no longer supported.
>Please contact Microsoft Sales for an upgrade to VB.NET.

I'm partial to your attitude.  heh heh  :-)

Frank

Sun, 12 Dec 2010 12:41:10 GMT
 Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?

Quote:
> Sounds like it is an IDE problem.
> So, open the IDE.
> Go to AddIn manager and uncheck all.
> Try running again.
> Maybe restart IDE after addins are off.
> If this works, then put in addins one by one and see which one cause the
> problem.

> > Hello,

> > I have recently had problems with the VB6 IDE crashing for no apparent
> > reason. ?The only major change to my system is that I have installed
> > Windows
> > XP Service Pack 3. ?I have one particular application that will simply
> > close
> > the IDE and give no errors. ?I have another application that generates an
> > error that VB6 unexpectedly caused and error and will be closed. ?Neither
> > of
> > these instances generate an event log. ?I do not have Windows Firewall
> > turned
> > on and I have Visual Studio Service Pack 6 installed.

> > Has anyone else had any problems?

> > Thanks,

I've been having these problems since SP3 but I don't sweat it. I
thought it might have been the turning off of the "Error Reporting
Service" because I used to get this immediate close behaviour on
another PC a few years ago.

In my case I know that the problem only occurs when I close an app
that was running in the IDE but not before the app was run. So all I
do is ensure that I close the IDE and reopen it before I do any
coding.

Prior to this immediate close-out behavior the IDE used to crash but I
used to simply move the crash notification out of the way whilst I
finished coding and then I would have to save, exit and reload.

The problem can be traced to a faulty process being left in memory.
Think "memory leak". I can force the error and debug right up to where
it occurs by using GW_HWNDNEXT but I'm damned if I can determine what
the lost handle actually was for.

Sun, 12 Dec 2010 17:45:51 GMT
 Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?
Hi,

I have SP3 installed, and haven't seen any errors.  However, your project
contents and mine certainly will be different.  So, you may have to do some
detective work, and report back.

--
Richard Grier, MVP
Hard & Software

Mon, 13 Dec 2010 00:19:27 GMT
 Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?

Quote:
> Hello,

> I have recently had problems with the VB6 IDE crashing for no apparent
> reason.  The only major change to my system is that I have installed
> Windows
> XP Service Pack 3.  I have one particular application that will simply
> close
> the IDE and give no errors.  I have another application that generates an
> error that VB6 unexpectedly caused and error and will be closed.  Neither
> of
> these instances generate an event log.  I do not have Windows Firewall
> turned
> on and I have Visual Studio Service Pack 6 installed.

> Has anyone else had any problems?

> Thanks,

I guess you have VB6 SP6B installed. There were some issues fixed in the B
update.

/Henning

Mon, 13 Dec 2010 01:01:25 GMT
 Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?

Quote:

> I guess you have VB6 SP6B installed. There were some issues fixed in the B update.

I'm not aware of an SP6 "B".  Is there something from MS which describes what it fixes?

--
Mike
Microsoft Visual Basic MVP

Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:34:54 GMT
 Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?

Quote:

>> I guess you have VB6 SP6B installed. There were some issues fixed in the
>> B update.

> I'm not aware of an SP6 "B".  Is there something from MS which describes
> what it fixes?

> --
> Mike
> Microsoft Visual Basic MVP

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9EF9BF70-DFE...

There was an issue with some control library in the first SP6 release fixed
in SP6B.

/Henning

Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:53:46 GMT
 Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?
If you have a compiled VB6 app that crashes, here is one method to find the
line that causes the crash if you have VC++6:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion...

Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:38:19 GMT
 Problems with VB6 After Windows XP Service Pack 3?

Quote:

>>> I guess you have VB6 SP6B installed. There were some issues fixed in the B update.

>> I'm not aware of an SP6 "B".  Is there something from MS which describes what it fixes?

>> --
>> Mike
>> Microsoft Visual Basic MVP

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9EF9BF70-DFE...

> There was an issue with some control library in the first SP6 release fixed in SP6B.

That's the first time I've ever seen it referred to as a "B" version.  However, I'm inclined to think that's just to distinguish it
as being for VB6 only. If you look at that page and the page for the full SP6, you'll see the date and version are the same and it's
only the file name that has a "B" in it.  IOW, nothing else indicates it as being a successor to the original release of SP6. Just
conjecture on my part.

--
Mike
Microsoft Visual Basic MVP

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 01:51:40 GMT

1. Problems with Jet 4.0 / DAO 3.6 under Windows XP with Service Pack 1

2. VB6: Installed service pack 6b, but XP shows a later version of MSVBVM60.DLL

3. xp service pack 3 problem system restarting

4. Scripting Office XP Service Pack 2 upgrade.

5. VB6.0 on Windows XP installation problem

6. VB6 and Windows XP (problems?)

7. Compatibility problems between VB6 and Windows XP

8. windows & service pack version

9. ADO breaks when compiling in Windows 7 Service Pack 1

10. Windows NT 4.0 service packs

11. Use look and feel of Windows XP in Windows NT with VB6

12. VB6.0 Service Pack 4 with Access 2000