Displaying critical alarms on a user's screen
Author Message
 Displaying critical alarms on a user's screen

Hi,
I have an application that runs as a Windows Service... monitoring
communications streams of data from a PBX.    If I see a critical
alarm, I would like to pop a window on user or users screen....  that
I could populate with the critical message.....

I've tried the solution in VBnet, but cannot seem to get it to
work....

Has anyone tried to make that code work, or is there a better way...

The users are logged into the Server through Terminal Services.....
I would really prefer to not have any code loaded or running on the
users machine...

Thanks
John

Sat, 04 Sep 2010 07:16:49 GMT
 Displaying critical alarms on a user's screen

Quote:

--
You need to ask in a newsgroup with "dotnet" in the name.  This group is for
VB 6.0 and earlier and does not include VB.Net or VB 200x.

Sat, 04 Sep 2010 06:36:51 GMT
 Displaying critical alarms on a user's screen

Quote:

> Hi,
> I have an application that runs as a Windows Service... monitoring
> communications streams of data from a PBX.    If I see a critical
> alarm, I would like to pop a window on user or users screen....  that
> I could populate with the critical message.....

> I've tried the solution in VBnet, but cannot seem to get it to
> work....

> Has anyone tried to make that code work, or is there a better way...

> The users are logged into the Server through Terminal Services.....
> I would really prefer to not have any code loaded or running on the
> users machine...

As Bob said, you need to ask in a .NET newsgroup.

But, if your app is running as a service, it's best not to have any kind of
GUI because you can't never be sure a user is actually logged on (and
therefore can see).

When you repost your question to a "dotnet" or "vsnet" newsgroup, you'll
want to supply considerably more information as well.  For example, all you
said was you "tried a solution" and it "didn't work".  You need to elaborate
on both of these. What, exactly, did you try and what, exactly didn't "work"
(any error message?). And please don't reply to this here.  I'm just giving
you advice for what to include when you repost into an appropriate
newsgroup.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP Visual Basic

Sat, 04 Sep 2010 06:50:33 GMT
 Displaying critical alarms on a user's screen

WOW...... did you tell me or what!!!!!

I must be in the wrong place... you both ASSUMED dot net, but I never
said that (actually mine is a vb6 application)

I really thought people here knew about VBnet web site

http://vbnet.mvps.org/index.html

If you haven't checked it out... it's a great site!!!!

In a previous posting in this newsgroup Mr. Ken Halter was kind enough
to point me to the specific code samples to try...

Quote:
>http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/network/mailslotbroadcast.htm

>--
>Ken Halter - MS-MVP-VB - Please keep all discussions in the groups..
>In Loving Memory - http://www.vbsight.com/Remembrance.htm

 But I couldn't get it to work in my application, so I thought I would
try asking again...  BIG MISTAKE!!!!

You can think that it's because I wasn't explicit in my question.....
But although you said it "nicely"     .....     You were both rude
enough to tell me to go away without asking anymore questions,  or not
knowing about VBnet....

I guess I did post to the wrong group.....

Sorry  Officer.....
I'll leave now.
John

Quote:

>> Hi,
>> I have an application that runs as a Windows Service... monitoring
>> communications streams of data from a PBX.    If I see a critical
>> alarm, I would like to pop a window on user or users screen....  that
>> I could populate with the critical message.....

>> I've tried the solution in VBnet, but cannot seem to get it to
>> work....

>> Has anyone tried to make that code work, or is there a better way...

>> The users are logged into the Server through Terminal Services.....
>> I would really prefer to not have any code loaded or running on the
>> users machine...

>As Bob said, you need to ask in a .NET newsgroup.

>But, if your app is running as a service, it's best not to have any kind of
>GUI because you can't never be sure a user is actually logged on (and
>therefore can see).

>When you repost your question to a "dotnet" or "vsnet" newsgroup, you'll
>want to supply considerably more information as well.  For example, all you
>said was you "tried a solution" and it "didn't work".  You need to elaborate
>on both of these. What, exactly, did you try and what, exactly didn't "work"
>(any error message?). And please don't reply to this here.  I'm just giving
>you advice for what to include when you repost into an appropriate
>newsgroup.

>--
>Mike
>Microsoft MVP Visual Basic

Sat, 04 Sep 2010 09:53:31 GMT
 Displaying critical alarms on a user's screen

Quote:

> WOW...... did you tell me or what!!!!!

> I must be in the wrong place... you both ASSUMED dot net, but I never
> said that (actually mine is a vb6 application)

> I really thought people here knew about VBnet web site

Sorry, I misread "VBNet" as "VB.Net" and as I didn't recognize your name I
jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Mike is correct that you don't want a service to attempt to raise a GUI
element as it's just awkward at best.  There are a number of ways to
communicate between apps and the mailslot examples are one option.  I've
also done a couple of services that listen on a TCP/IP port and accept
connections only from the local host.  The users have an app that runs at
startup that connects and can request history, current status, etc and gets
notified of any new alerts.  The amount and frequency of the info to be sent
back and forth would influence the choice of communication.

Sat, 04 Sep 2010 09:07:55 GMT
 Displaying critical alarms on a user's screen

Quote:

> WOW...... did you tell me or what!!!!!

> I must be in the wrong place... you both ASSUMED dot net, but I never
> said that (actually mine is a vb6 application)

You never mention vb6 either. You can see how someone could confuse "in VBnet"
with VB.net? I don't do services, so can't answer your question, perhaps
NetMessageBufferSend API.

David

Sat, 04 Sep 2010 10:28:11 GMT
 Displaying critical alarms on a user's screen

Quote:
> I must be in the wrong place... you both ASSUMED dot net, but I never
> said that (actually mine is a vb6 application)
>>> I've tried the solution in VBnet

The correct preposition in this case would be "at," not "in." This concludes
today's English lesson.

Sat, 04 Sep 2010 13:48:13 GMT
 Displaying critical alarms on a user's screen
Whatever...

1 net send
2 email
3 loggfile
4 eventlog on the computer
5 connect something to rs232 port dsr and blow the horn (use a relay)

7... this is strange "MessageBox" comes to mind...

//CY

Sat, 04 Sep 2010 23:48:30 GMT

1. Form doesn't display properly on user's PC

2. 'Critical Mass' for class modules

3. Displaying 'Users and Groups' dialog

4. timer and alarms multi user

5. Splash screen won't display unless modal

6. Freeze screen display in Win '95

7. how to handle user's screen size?

8. Enlarging form to user's screen size

9. Determining user's screen resolution at runtime

10. Adjust forms to users' screen resolution

11. extract the user's current screen resoulution

12. HELP - Is user's screen saver enabled???