OT MS Community Visibility
Author Message
 OT MS Community Visibility

I get different (additional) posts looking at vb.general.discussion from IE
than I do from MS Mail (Vista Ultimate).
Is there a setting someplace?
Is this common on all newsgroups?
Also, the spam posts are missing in Mail, but does that mean that Mail
filters spam posts or is it part of a bigger picture.
Maybe this happens during some maintenance operations.
Bottom line, looks like I cannot rely on MS Mail to view posts.
But on the other hand, IE will not let me Login on Vista newsgroups while MS
Mail will.
Bottom line #2 (lol) I cannot rely on IE to put up posts on other
newsgroups.
So now let's see if this posts is visible where?
Coming from MS Mail this time.

Oh, I just now see with IE that some of the spam posts have been removed.
Who does that?

One last thing, in IE I see that there is a combo box usually at "All
Threads"
When I open it up I see some other entries that do not produce any posts,
like "Suggestions with MS Response"
Does / did MS ever respond?

Sorry, this all was just bugging me.

MS Mail provides spell checking, maybe the new IE8 will too.  Is there an
Add-on for that?
This is my home, here at VB, so don't yell at me for this OT because I am
too old and stupid to ferret out other places to vent.
Happy Friday!

Wed, 17 Aug 2011 00:24:47 GMT
 OT MS Community Visibility

   I'm curious to know what's going on if you
figure it out. I assume the program you're using
has some kind of spam filter, but I don't know.

  Why are you using IE, though? You're using
a webpage version of the group? Any newsreader
should be able to read any usenet group. I use
OE5 and have no trouble seeing Vista groups.

Quote:
> I get different (additional) posts looking at vb.general.discussion from
IE
> than I do from MS Mail (Vista Ultimate).
> Is there a setting someplace?
> Is this common on all newsgroups?
> Also, the spam posts are missing in Mail, but does that mean that Mail
> filters spam posts or is it part of a bigger picture.
> Maybe this happens during some maintenance operations.
> Bottom line, looks like I cannot rely on MS Mail to view posts.
> But on the other hand, IE will not let me Login on Vista newsgroups while
MS
> Mail will.
> Bottom line #2 (lol) I cannot rely on IE to put up posts on other
> newsgroups.
> So now let's see if this posts is visible where?
> Coming from MS Mail this time.

> Oh, I just now see with IE that some of the spam posts have been removed.
> Who does that?

> One last thing, in IE I see that there is a combo box usually at "All
> Threads"
> When I open it up I see some other entries that do not produce any posts,
> like "Suggestions with MS Response"
> Does / did MS ever respond?

> Sorry, this all was just bugging me.

> MS Mail provides spell checking, maybe the new IE8 will too.  Is there an
> Add-on for that?
> This is my home, here at VB, so don't yell at me for this OT because I am
> too old and stupid to ferret out other places to vent.
> Happy Friday!

Fri, 19 Aug 2011 03:04:36 GMT
 OT MS Community Visibility
  Actually, something odd has been happening
the last couple of days. Your Friday posts just
showed up for me, on Sunday. For a couple of
days I've been seeing older posts show up as new,
not at the bottom of the list.

Fri, 19 Aug 2011 03:06:00 GMT
 OT MS Community Visibility
It has been like this forever.
I move around a lto from desktop to laptop on several PCs.
So sometimes it is just easier to use the IE interface.
I have used Outlook Express in he past.
Vist Mail seems to work OK.
Not sure how to set up filering for newsgroups unless it is an automatic
function that I ahve no control of.
I did notice that the "SPAM" posts went away the next day so someone was
watching and administrating.  Wonder who?
Thanks for you response.

What do you know about?

Private Enum XXX
  [_Something]
  Another
End Enum

The only place _ is used in code (not line continuation) and one of the few
places [] is used.

Quote:

>    I'm curious to know what's going on if you
> figure it out. I assume the program you're using
> has some kind of spam filter, but I don't know.

>   Why are you using IE, though? You're using
> a webpage version of the group? Any newsreader
> should be able to read any usenet group. I use
> OE5 and have no trouble seeing Vista groups.

> > I get different (additional) posts looking at vb.general.discussion from
> IE
> > than I do from MS Mail (Vista Ultimate).
> > Is there a setting someplace?
> > Is this common on all newsgroups?
> > Also, the spam posts are missing in Mail, but does that mean that Mail
> > filters spam posts or is it part of a bigger picture.
> > Maybe this happens during some maintenance operations.
> > Bottom line, looks like I cannot rely on MS Mail to view posts.
> > But on the other hand, IE will not let me Login on Vista newsgroups while
> MS
> > Mail will.
> > Bottom line #2 (lol) I cannot rely on IE to put up posts on other
> > newsgroups.
> > So now let's see if this posts is visible where?
> > Coming from MS Mail this time.

> > Oh, I just now see with IE that some of the spam posts have been removed.
> > Who does that?

> > One last thing, in IE I see that there is a combo box usually at "All
> > Threads"
> > When I open it up I see some other entries that do not produce any posts,
> > like "Suggestions with MS Response"
> > Does / did MS ever respond?

> > Sorry, this all was just bugging me.

> > MS Mail provides spell checking, maybe the new IE8 will too.  Is there an
> > Add-on for that?
> > This is my home, here at VB, so don't yell at me for this OT because I am
> > too old and stupid to ferret out other places to vent.
> > Happy Friday!

Fri, 19 Aug 2011 03:56:00 GMT
 OT MS Community Visibility
Same here.  Posts out of order once in a while.
Tx
Quote:

>   Actually, something odd has been happening
> the last couple of days. Your Friday posts just
> showed up for me, on Sunday. For a couple of
> days I've been seeing older posts show up as new,
> not at the bottom of the list.

Fri, 19 Aug 2011 03:58:01 GMT
 OT MS Community Visibility
On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 11:56:00 -0800, Lorin

Quote:

>What do you know about?

>Private Enum XXX
>  [_Something]
>  Another
>End Enum

>The only place _ is used in code (not line continuation) and one of the few
>places [] is used.

Wow, I haven't seen anyone use that syntax in ages :)
--
Alfie [UK]
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:06:23 GMT
 OT MS Community Visibility
Hi Lorin,
There has always been and probably always will be a problem with the discussions web page interface.
It simply lags behind the NNTP servers.

John

Quote:

>I get different (additional) posts looking at vb.general.discussion from IE
> than I do from MS Mail (Vista Ultimate).
> Is there a setting someplace?
> Is this common on all newsgroups?
> Also, the spam posts are missing in Mail, but does that mean that Mail
> filters spam posts or is it part of a bigger picture.
> Maybe this happens during some maintenance operations.
> Bottom line, looks like I cannot rely on MS Mail to view posts.
> But on the other hand, IE will not let me Login on Vista newsgroups while MS
> Mail will.
> Bottom line #2 (lol) I cannot rely on IE to put up posts on other
> newsgroups.
> So now let's see if this posts is visible where?
> Coming from MS Mail this time.

> Oh, I just now see with IE that some of the spam posts have been removed.
> Who does that?

> One last thing, in IE I see that there is a combo box usually at "All
> Threads"
> When I open it up I see some other entries that do not produce any posts,
> like "Suggestions with MS Response"
> Does / did MS ever respond?

> Sorry, this all was just bugging me.

> MS Mail provides spell checking, maybe the new IE8 will too.  Is there an
> Add-on for that?
> This is my home, here at VB, so don't yell at me for this OT because I am
> too old and stupid to ferret out other places to vent.
> Happy Friday!

Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:44:10 GMT
 OT MS Community Visibility

Quote:
> I did notice that the "SPAM" posts went away the next day so someone
> was watching and administrating.  Wonder who?

I think that it is actually a bot that does the cleaning.  Its why you
should never reply to spam.

Quote:
> What do you know about?

> Private Enum XXX
>  [_Something]
>  Another
> End Enum

> The only place _ is used in code (not line continuation) and one of
> the few places [] is used.

The underscore hides the enumeration so that they don't appear in the list.
The square brackets are used as the underscore is not a valid character.

--
Regards

Michael Cole

Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:49:06 GMT

1. OT [sort of] Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

2. Een nieuwe community voor Nederlandse MS Developers

3. Een nieuwe community voor Nederlandse MS Developers

4. OT: MS newsgroups stopped?

5. OT - interesting MS licensing

6. OT - perhaps, aren't this the time to get rid of all ms-proprietary

7. OT: MS iPad-like device

8. OT - a decade of .Net and MS

9. OT: MS Small Basic

10. access database community wins 'cool community of the week'

11. Access Database Community

12. Addition to the VB Community