Sir-Crash-A-Lot Needs an IDE safety net
Author Message
 Sir-Crash-A-Lot Needs an IDE safety net

I seem to crash my VB6 IDE regularly.  Hey, I am old, so don't tell me to be
more careful.  I have been too careful all my life and this is my way to live
dangerously - subclassing.

Is there an addin that saves bookmarks and breakpoints such that upon
restart I get them back?

Happy New Year.
and thank you all

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:22:01 GMT
 Sir-Crash-A-Lot Needs an IDE safety net
 There are at least two options.

1) I use Matthew Curland's dbgwproc.dll, which is available
if you have his book Advanced Visual Basic 6. It allows you
to subclass such that you will crash if you quit with an error,
BUT you get a chance to edit. So you can avoid crashing as
long as you edit or comment out the error before allowing
the run to quit.

2) http://www.vbaccelerator.com/codelib/ssubtmr/ssubtmr.htm

  I've never used that option but it seems to be popular. I'm
guessing it's probably about the same thing as Matthew Curland's
version.

  Of course the problem with those is that you might end
up feeling a bit too safe... not enough thrill of risk left to
liven up your advanced years. You may have to resort to
something really crazy like using too much salt, smoking,
jaywalking, or cheating at Scrabble.  :)

Quote:
> I seem to crash my VB6 IDE regularly.  Hey, I am old, so don't tell me to
be
> more careful.  I have been too careful all my life and this is my way to
live
> dangerously - subclassing.

> Is there an addin that saves bookmarks and breakpoints such that upon
> restart I get them back?

> Happy New Year.
> and thank you all

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 01:15:03 GMT
 Sir-Crash-A-Lot Needs an IDE safety net

Quote:
> I have been too careful all my life and this is my way
> to live dangerously - subclassing. Is there an addin that
> saves bookmarks and breakpoints such that upon
> restart I get them back?

. . . and where's the fun in that ;-)

Mike

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 01:34:47 GMT
 Sir-Crash-A-Lot Needs an IDE safety net

"cheating at Scrabble"
Yikes, you just gave me an idea for a new board game that is more fun and
more creative than Scrabble.   But the makers of Scrabble would probably sue
me for coming up with a better board game.
Quit smoking forty years ago.
Salt is good for me.  It helps me not to dehydrate.
Rumor was that in New York City professional jaywalkers would give you a
silver dollar if you would call out "Jaywalker" when you saw one jaywalking.
An attempt to curtain jaywalking.  Not sure how well that worked.
You forgot dating.  All the women I meet do not like technical types.  We
are too difficult to manipulate.

Is there a source for addin code tutorial samples?
Surely the breakpoints and bookmarks must be visible at the addin level.

Mike - I enjoy the thrill of seeing my applications actually run correctly.
Thankfully, I hit the Save button regularly during coding, but still ...

Quote:

>  There are at least two options.

> 1) I use Matthew Curland's dbgwproc.dll, which is available
> if you have his book Advanced Visual Basic 6. It allows you
> to subclass such that you will crash if you quit with an error,
> BUT you get a chance to edit. So you can avoid crashing as
> long as you edit or comment out the error before allowing
> the run to quit.

> 2) http://www.vbaccelerator.com/codelib/ssubtmr/ssubtmr.htm

>   I've never used that option but it seems to be popular. I'm
> guessing it's probably about the same thing as Matthew Curland's
> version.

>   Of course the problem with those is that you might end
> up feeling a bit too safe... not enough thrill of risk left to
> liven up your advanced years. You may have to resort to
> something really crazy like using too much salt, smoking,
> jaywalking, or cheating at Scrabble.  :)

> > I seem to crash my VB6 IDE regularly.  Hey, I am old, so don't tell me to
> be
> > more careful.  I have been too careful all my life and this is my way to
> live
> > dangerously - subclassing.

> > Is there an addin that saves bookmarks and breakpoints such that upon
> > restart I get them back?

> > Happy New Year.
> > and thank you all

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 02:29:01 GMT

1. BUG: VB.NET compiler crashes itself or the IDE, when referencing C# DLL

2. VS.NET IDE crashes while adding resource

3. VB5 crashes a lot ??

4. Creating (a lot of) MDIChild forms crashes VB

5. Dataenvironment crashes a LOT

6. Dataenvironment crashes a LOT

7. Dataenvironment crashes a LOT

8. IDE Crashes wth page fault in jscript.dll

9. IDE crashes when I open this project

10. IDE crashes in debug mode

11. Found a NASTY IDE crashing bug.

12. DBCombo Causes IDE Crash