OT: Something like an IQ-Test
Author Message
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test

Hello,
I am parsing a file format that I don't know and I haven't been able to
find the logic between input and output in this scheme.
If anybody has a brain like the guy in "A Beautiful Mind", please let me
know.
Bert
----------------------
Input:
1--
-2-
3--
Output: "2,3,1"
----------------------
Input:
1--
2--
3--
Output: "3,2,1"
----------------------
Input:
1--
2--
-3-
Output: "2,2,2"
----------------------
Input:
1--
-2-
--3
Output: "1,3,2"
----------------------
Input:
1--
-2-
-3-
Output: "1,4,1"
----------------------
ps: All 5 schemes are independ from each other. They are from different
files. But they all follow the same logic.

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:36:35 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test

Quote:
> Hello,
> I am parsing a file format that I don't know and I haven't been able to
> find the logic between input and output in this scheme.
> If anybody has a brain like the guy in "A Beautiful Mind", please let me
> know.
> Bert
> ----------------------
> Input:
> 1--
> -2-
> 3--
> Output: "2,3,1"
> ----------------------
> Input:
> 1--
> 2--
> 3--
> Output: "3,2,1"
> ----------------------
> Input:
> 1--
> 2--
> -3-
> Output: "2,2,2"
> ----------------------
> Input:
> 1--
> -2-
> --3
> Output: "1,3,2"
> ----------------------
> Input:
> 1--
> -2-
> -3-
> Output: "1,4,1"
> ----------------------
> ps: All 5 schemes are independ from each other. They are from different
> files. But they all follow the same logic.

Weird, input of 1,-2,3 give different output!? There must be something else
involved.

/Henning

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:30:31 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test

> Weird, input of 1,-2,3 give different output!? There must be something else
> involved.

Obviously.

I don't think -2- means "negative 2" but that the input is positional as
well as the numeric value.  That is, in -2- both the leading and
trailing "-" are significant.

Something of the context _might_ be of help here... :)

--

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:40:47 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test

Maybe I should have written "[][]2" or something like that.

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:49:52 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test
The numerics have a horizontal position.

1-- means that the 1 is in the first of three available positions.
-1- means that the 1 is on the 2nd position.
--1 means that the 1 is on the 3rd position.

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:51:52 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test
The values come from a listbox whose values you can move around with 4
arrows: Up, Down, Left, Right

For example you have
----------------------
Group 1
-Group 2
Group 3

which would return in the following "output":
1--
-2-
3--
----------------------
Group 1
-Group 2
--Group 3

would be
1--
-2-
--3
------------------------
These values are stored in the format I mentioned (see "output"), but
this output doesn't follow any rule I could recognize.

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:55:44 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test

were released on Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:36:35 +0200 bearing the
following fruit:

Quote:
>Hello,
>I am parsing a file format that I don't know and I haven't been able to
>find the logic between input and output in this scheme.
>If anybody has a brain like the guy in "A Beautiful Mind", please let me
>know.
>Bert
>----------------------
>Input:
>1--
>-2-
>3--
>Output: "2,3,1"
>----------------------
>Input:
>1--
>2--
>3--
>Output: "3,2,1"
>----------------------
>Input:
>1--
>2--
>-3-
>Output: "2,2,2"
>----------------------
>Input:
>1--
>-2-
>--3
>Output: "1,3,2"
>----------------------
>Input:
>1--
>-2-
>-3-
>Output: "1,4,1"
>----------------------
>ps: All 5 schemes are independ from each other. They are from different
>files. But they all follow the same logic.

do the numbers 1,2,3,4 mean anything? It might help to know.

--
Jan Hyde

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Jan.Hyde

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:32:55 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test

were released on Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:36:35 +0200 bearing the
following fruit:

Quote:
>Hello,
>I am parsing a file format that I don't know and I haven't been able to
>find the logic between input and output in this scheme.
>If anybody has a brain like the guy in "A Beautiful Mind", please let me
>know.
>Bert
>----------------------
>Input:
>1--
>-2-
>3--
>Output: "2,3,1"
>----------------------
>Input:
>1--
>2--
>3--
>Output: "3,2,1"
>----------------------
>Input:
>1--
>2--
>-3-
>Output: "2,2,2"
>----------------------
>Input:
>1--
>-2-
>--3
>Output: "1,3,2"
>----------------------
>Input:
>1--
>-2-
>-3-
>Output: "1,4,1"
>----------------------
>ps: All 5 schemes are independ from each other. They are from different
>files. But they all follow the same logic.

Oh, and you might want to ask over in rec.puzzles, Haven't
been there for some time but if anyone can spot a pattern,
they guys over there will.

--
Jan Hyde

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Jan.Hyde

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:35:07 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test

Quote:

> The values come from a listbox whose values you can move around with 4
> arrows: Up, Down, Left, Right

But do they represent something other than a puzzle???

--

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 00:46:20 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test
No, the numbers don't mean anything.
But all outputs have one thing in common: They all sum up to the same
number: 6.
So there must be a pattern. Damn... 12 hours and no idea yet.

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 01:17:41 GMT
 OT: Something like an IQ-Test

Quote:

> No, the numbers don't mean anything.
> But all outputs have one thing in common: They all sum up to the same
> number: 6.
> So there must be a pattern. Damn... 12 hours and no idea yet.

So it is simply a puzzle?  You're being too coy by half it seems in
describing the full problem/situation unless it is purely and exercise
of no utility whatsoever.

--

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 01:22:21 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST

2. Bug in Beta 2 ot missunderstand i something?

3. Who Have any information about msaccess2k tests in mcp ot mous

4. OT-Test

5. OT - Help needed reviewing questions for VBScript test

6. OT: Posting Product Announcements - Beta Test announcements

7. OT: Testing new VB mail filter

8. I need something tested

9. Sybase IQ locales and charest

10. Just testing something ignore

11. Need Help to Beta Test Something that speaks web page contents